OH OH - Cleveland, Lake Erie, WhtMale 45-58, UP12854, steel-toe boots, electrocardiogram lead, May'14

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
fec1e992-427f-4e90-a8ba-d1f01b5af7a0_zpse06c0032.png

A decomposed body found near the Lake Erie breakwall at Burke Lakefront Airport on May 23, 2014. Probably in the water for several months.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/10/help_id_decomposed_body_pulled.html

The man suffered a fractured nose and left cheek at some point in his past. He likely had a noticeable nose deviation.

The man had no teeth when he died and may have worn dentures. No scars or tattoos were visible on his intact flesh.

He was found wearing Wrangler blue jeans -- size 36W x 32L -- and black size 7 ½ Brahma-brand steel-toe boots.

The man is described as standing between 5 feet 3 inches and 5 feet 11 inches tall. He could be 45 to 58 years old.

OkieGranny, you are truly the best at finding articles about new UID cases and valuable updates on older ones. Thank you for what you do!

May 2014 article about the discovery: http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...medical-examiner-body-identification/9719659/

NamUs. Note the UID's deviated nose isn't mentioned in NamUs, while NamUs does mention an "apparent electrocardiogram lead is received in proximity to the right thigh."

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) <MOD NOTE: Original link broken; edited to include current link as of October 8, 2022>

This site explains the purpose of having a lead on the right thigh, "as a reference electrode for recording purposes" during an electrocardiogram:

CV Physiology | Electrocardiogram Standard Limb Leads (Bipolar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though it says he'd likely been there a few months, I wouldn't hesitate to go back nearly a year. The ice on Lake Erie this year was incredible. By mid-January Lake Erie was 90% covered in ice (and the 10% not iced over was far to the east of where the UID was found, around PA and Western NY. It didn't really start to thaw until March, and was still thawing in May. I would think he would have had to go into the lake last fall, unless he fell off a ship (in which case they'd probably know who he was), or was out walking on the ice and fell in (but with the electrocardiogram lead and all, that just doesn't feel like it fits to me.) I'd guess he could have went in in the Flats or anywhere west of where he was found.

Probably has got a criminal record, those facial injuries/features tell of a man who likes fistfights...

Could he have gone missing from a hospital or just following a doctor's visit?

It makes no sense that he'd have an EKG-lead anywhere on his body. How did it stay on? Especially all of the time he was in the lake?

It actually doesn't, but it would almost make more sense that he had all of the leads on him and the thigh one was the only one that didn't get lost in the water. Nobody goes to get an EKG and keeps the leads. That's just really weird.

I wonder if they mean one of those stick-on electrodes rather than the actual lead. Those are really, really sticky. I've found them stuck on my body several days after surgery, sometimes after having taken multiple showers.

I wonder if they mean one of those stick-on electrodes rather than the actual lead. Those are really, really sticky. I've found them stuck on my body several days after surgery, sometimes after having taken multiple showers.

I'm pretty sure that IS what they're talking about. But he hadn't just showered. He'd been in Lake Erie for an extended amount of time, which I'd figure would loosen them off more than a shower or anything like that.

Two years later: medical examiner again asks for help in identifying man found in Lake Erie in 2014

http://fox8.com/2016/04/02/two-years-later-medical-examiner-again-asks-for-help-in-identifying-man-found-in-lake-erie-in-2014/

Some background: The body had been in the water for several months before it was found. The man had a previous fracture of the nose and left cheek. He did not have teeth at the time of death and may have worn dentures.

In the two years since the body was found, the Cuyahoga County Regional Forensic Science Lab was able to develop a DNA profile of the man, but without a matching sample from before the death, or a sample of any known family members, it can&#8217;t be used successfully.

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Images uploaded to Namus in 2017 but seem to be Doe Network ones from years earlier.

Namus says remains were not recognisable/decomp so I'm guessing some of the features (like the downward turn of the nose tip) could be artistic licence?

Possible match?

Nihad Bedak last seen 1 Jan 2014 in Hamtramck but spent most of his time in Detroit (possible remains could have drifted so far?) Namus says he had a balding head - he also had some historical injuries but they seem to me like things that may not be visible due to decomp (ie: scar on the arm, scar on face)
www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/38074/details?nav

Thumbnail

Missing Person Details

Details: Unidentified body found by a boater in Lake Erie inside break wall at Burke Lakefront Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back