GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwiebel

Reaction score
'An American tourist's battered body has been found in a suitcase at an exclusive hotel on Indonesia's resort island of Bali and her daughter and daughter's boyfriend have been arrested over the killing, police said.

The body of Sheila von Wiese Mack was found on Tuesday stuffed into a suitcase in the boot of a taxi in front of the five-star St Regis hotel in the upscale Nusa Dua resort area of Bali.'

The 62 - year-old victim had been staying in the exclusive hotel with her daughter, Heather, 19, and her daughter's boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, 21. She was found half naked and investigators say she had put up such a fierce struggle, she had broken her left hand.

The US Embassy in Jakarta says it is aware of the arrests. There doesn't seem to be any information about where in the US the three are from.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...e-mack-body-found-in-suitcase-on-bali/5668728

Timeline/Media Thread

Thread 1 Thread #2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 526
Possibly charges against HM & TS are not too far away.
They must be up to nearly the extended time allowance for them to be charged.

@Fig Tree, with the article posted by Orange Tabby this morning after reading it, I believe that is true.

Now this...note the small differences in the story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/bali-hotel-murder_n_5926256.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

Not sure where this "news" source (I use that term loosely with Huff Post) got the information that it was the iron handle only and that there were bits of iron in the victim's wound. Seriously? Bits of iron? Is that even possible?

MOO

ETA: I see that an AP reporter/photographer out of Bali is credited with this new information and the story is in many different news publications. But not all have that paragraph about the "bits of iron". I did find this link where another person is credited with "contributing" to the story. Perhaps they added that paragraph? I can't believe this is how news is handled these days. SMH

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/03/6171366/suspect-in-indonesia-murder-slur.html?rh=1

Not sure where this "news" source (I use that term loosely with Huff Post) got the information that it was the iron handle only and that there were bits of iron in the victim's wound. Seriously? Bits of iron? Is that even possible?

MOO

I presume they mean flecks or flakes from the finish, that is very common. I suspect that the origin for most of the articles we are seeing are from Indonesian papers and there are some things are lost in translation hence some appear to be poorly written. While I question HuffPost for the most part I do think that with this particular case we will continue to see the descrepancies and differences in reporting until there are some
official court documents available.

MOO
The Associated Press is reporting the same thing.
"Sadiarta said the hotel's surveillance camera video shows that Schaefer took a piece of iron from his room and hid it under his shirt as he went to von Wiese-Mack's room. He said the iron appeared to be the grip of a fruit bowl provided by the hotel in his room, and investigators found bits of iron matching the piece in the victim's wound."
Read more here:http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/...-suitcase-murder-slur-sparked-anger/20971924/

I'm not crazy about the HuffPo either, Kamille, but in this case they have sourced the article to writer Firdia Lisnawati of the Associated Press. The same story is now being run by the Chicago Sun-Times (sourcing it only to the AP), which is unquestionably a legitimate news outlet.

None of this means it's true! I have to say I'm astonished by this bit:

Sihombing, however, denied that Schaefer had confessed to killing von Wiese-Mack, as Denpasar's police chief, Col. Djoko Hari Utomo, said last month. Utomo has since said he intended to say that Mack told police that Schaefer was responsible.​

None of the journalists writing on these new developments asked about this? Really?! Maybe Indonesian cops don't take to being called liars, even when they are actually lying. Or maybe every journalist covering this case or every cop working on it is pretty darn bad at either English or Indonesian and it's the general public who suffer.

The news coverage of this case has been really terrible.

ETA: Why has everything gone bold? It's really ugly and hard on the eyes.

Possibly charges against HM & TS are not too far away.
They must be up to nearly the extended time allowance for them to be charged.

Yes, I agree that the time for investigation appears to be running out. I think this is why the police have turned the dossiers over to the prosecution even though the cops continue to investigate.

ETA: This BOLD new world is causing my eyes to bleed! What gives? My posts don't show as all bold when I use the preview function.

The AP story also mentions that TS has another new lawyer. What's up with TS and his lawyers?
"Haposan Sihombing, a lawyer who has represented Schaefer, said Friday that he could not comment because Schaefer replaced him a day earlier. He refused to give the name of Schaefer's new lawyer."

So the info provided by HM is basically this thus far: "My Mom called Tommy a slur after he just comes up to our room, offended, he beat her and murdered her, but I did not see it and I did not do anything to her nor did I help stuff her body in the suitcase" have I missed anything you guys? I am having trouble swallowing this account.

Re: Press coverage, is it possible that there is no venue or platform for the journalists covering the story to ask for clarification of details from the source, that the informatin is given in the form of a press release w/o an opportunity to ask questions? I really have no idea as I generally follow domestic cases.

What I do know as I head to the wilds of the Michigan U.P. for the weekend where my internet access will be drastically reduced if not flat out unavailable, I have started withdrawl symptoms thinking of what I might miss on this case... :blushing:

The AP story also mentions that TS has another new lawyer. What's up with TS and his lawyers?
"Haposan Sihombing, a lawyer who has represented Schaefer, said Friday that he could not comment because Schaefer replaced him a day earlier. He refused to give the name of Schaefer's new lawyer."

This is just another example of what I mean by cruddy reporting. Haposan Sihombing was the lawyer the Bali legal system assigned to both Heather and Tommy right after they were arrested. We know that there have been lots of claims that neither of the suspects ever wanted his counsel and that he's been either a non-player or extremely minor entity throughout this investigation. I'm only going by memory, but I think even this lawyer was once quoted as saying Heather and Tommy wouldn't talk to him.

Other outlets have reported the names of Tommy's lawyers. Why these names are suddenly unknown is a mystery to me.

... [SBM] the 62-year-old victim, was attacked with an iron grip of a fruit bowl. ...

So would that have been used like brass knuckles?

Doesn't sound like he was going in there for a friendly discussion! Ugh!

Indeed!

It's not like there's an innocent explanation. He can't say that as was he was getting dressed that morning he actually thought: “Now that I’m at last in paradise I had better equip myself with protection just in case someone should hurl the N-word at me and ruin my vacay. Let’s see if I can find something to hide under my shirt …”

I also note, Quester, that you wanted to bold "was attacked with an iron grip of a fruit bowl" but this could not happen now that we are all in the iron grip of All Bold, All the Time.

FYI: my screen displays the proper normal and bolded fonts.

It appears that Orange Tabby is having difficulty with something in regards to bolding in the text on their screen. I have no changes on my screen so I'm assuming it's something on your end?

And yes, TS had Haposan Sihombing assigned to him at the beginning as did HM. Then he supposedly had a Bali lawyer who was supplied to him through the human rights organization Reprieve in the UK, along with a representative from that organization. I was under the impression that it was these two who were in with him during his first interrogation. Then right after that interrogation it was said that the lawyer was no longer participating. Not sure whether that was at TS's request, Reprieve's request or if the lawyer just walked when he realized TS still was not talking. (which is contrary to the reports that he confessed). I also haven't heard anything about the UK human rights group being involved since then although TS's mother mentions them in her last update. And she also claims that they are still looking for a Bali lawyer for him, which is what Durkin is doing from the US I suppose?

So confusing. :confused:

MOO

I keep thinking of her nice gel manicure and how she has been sitting in jail watching that manicure grow out. It marks the passage of time and hopefully reminds her of the nice life she used to have.

It appears that Orange Tabby is having difficulty with something in regards to bolding in the text on their screen. I have no changes on my screen so I'm assuming it's something on your end?

Many thanks Kamille and Quester for letting me know the problem is mine alone. I've already tried logging out and back in. I'll try some other stuff and shut up about My Bold Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni