MI MI - Detroit, WhtFem 25-35, UP12001, in attic, "dishwater blonde", '86 concert TShirt, Nov'89

coonhound

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12001 ***WARNING Graphic Images***

Found November 29, 1989 in the attic of a rental house at 5324 Grandy Street, Detroit, MI. (House appears to have been since demolished/removed).

Age Range: 25 - 35
Sex: Female
Race: White
Height: 67"
Weight: N/A
Hair: Long, Straight, described as "Dishwater Blonde"
Body Condition: Badly decomposed/mummified
Clothing: White T-Shirt promoting the Bob Dylan/Tom Petty True Confessions Tour in 1986 [image above]; blue denim jacket; sweatshirt; light blue Gap brand jeans; shoes; socks

The Bob Dylan/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers True Confessions Tour did come through Michigan in the summer of 1986. They played two consecutive shows at the Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkston, MI on June 30th and July 1st. They played a few other concerts in the Midwest on this tour (Indianapolis; Minneapolis; East Troy, WI; Chicago, & Akron, OH).

The UID, of course, could have gotten the shirt elsewhere, but there's a good likelihood she attended one of those two Pine Knob shows.

First thought is Margie Ann Ranshaw.

LKA: May 17, 1987; fits range for UID 1986-1989
Hair: Dirty blonde, long, straight; fits perfectly with long, straight, "dishwater blonde"
LKL: Barryton, MI; about 200 miles NNW of Detroit, but car found abandoned half way between

The clothing may be a bit off for mid-May weather?

It can be pretty cool in Michigan at any time of the year, especially in the evening and early morning, so a sweatshirt doesn't seem out of line.

Map shows Barrytown, where she was last seen; the place where the concert was (it has a new name); Howell MI where her car was found, and the Detroit address where the remains were found: https://goo.gl/maps/MN4w9 But it seems like the only way she could have the shirt is if she left willingly, went to the concert at the end of June or beginning of July, and then ran into trouble. Since her car was found "weeks" later, that's possible.

It can be pretty cool in Michigan at any time of the year, especially in the evening and early morning, so a sweatshirt doesn't seem out of line.

Map shows Barrytown, where she was last seen; the place where the concert was (it has a new name); Howell MI where her car was found, and the Detroit address where the remains were found: https://goo.gl/maps/MN4w9 But it seems like the only way she could have the shirt is if she left willingly, went to the concert at the end of June or beginning of July, and then ran into trouble. Since her car was found "weeks" later, that's possible.

The concert was a year prior to the disappearance.

June 30, 1986: Concert in Clarkston, MI
May 17, 1987: Leaves to buy milk, Barryton, MI
~June 7, 1987: Car found in Howell, MI
Nov 29, 1989: UID discovered in Detroit, MI

So, the concert is mainly relevant if someone remembers a missing person having attended it. The MI connection is there, anyway.

Although Margie's DNA has been entered, the UID has not be tested. The UIDs dentals have been entered, but Margie's have not. Can anyone make an amateur comparison of the dentals and the photos?

The concert was a year prior to the disappearance.

June 30, 1986: Concert in Clarkston, MI
May 17, 1987: Leaves to buy milk, Barryton, MI
~June 7, 1987: Car found in Howell, MI
Nov 29, 1989: UID discovered in Detroit, MI

So, the concert is mainly relevant if someone remembers a missing person having attended it. The MI connection is there, anyway.

Although Margie's DNA has been entered, the UID has not be tested. The UIDs dentals have been entered, but Margie's have not. Can anyone make an amateur comparison of the dentals and the photos?

Thanks, I read the dates backwards. *slaps head* Time to go to bed...

They don't look like the same teeth to me. The UID's teeth have a very straight biting edges of her central incisors (#8 & #9). Margie's are curved.

Also, the UID's #10 incisor steps up slightly at the biting edge. Margie's #10 biting edge is on an even plane with her #8 and #9, and her #10 incisor leans a little bit. I don't see that lean with the UID's #10.

They don't look like the same teeth to me. The UID's teeth have a very straight biting edges of her central incisors (#8 & #9). Margie's are curved.

Also, the UID's #10 incisor steps up slightly at the biting edge. Margie's #10 biting edge is on an even plane with her #8 and #9, and her #10 incisor leans a little bit. I don't see that lean with the UID's #10.

Thanks Carl

Wow. Coonhound - have you sent in Margie Ranshaw as a tip to investigators?

Complete long shot, but what about searching footage of any video from selected, narrowed down dates on this tour, specifically the Michigan ones? Maybe the band has footage they might be willing to copy and send?

Also, concert shirts often sell out and different versions are then sold. I wonder if we can find out which concert dates these shirts were sold?

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12001 ***WARNING Graphic Images***

Found November 29, 1989 in the attic of a rental house at 5324 Grandy Street, Detroit, MI. (House appears to have been since demolished/removed).

Age Range: 25 - 35
Sex: Female
Race: White
Height: 67"
Weight: N/A
Hair: Long, Straight, described as "Dishwater Blonde"
Body Condition: Badly decomposed/mummified
Clothing: White T-Shirt promoting the Bob Dylan/Tom Petty True Confessions Tour in 1986 [image above]; blue denim jacket; sweatshirt; light blue Gap brand jeans; shoes; socks

The Bob Dylan/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers True Confessions Tour did come through Michigan in the summer of 1986. They played two consecutive shows at the Pine Knob Music Theater in Clarkston, MI on June 30th and July 1st. They played a few other concerts in the Midwest on this tour (Indianapolis; Minneapolis; East Troy, WI; Chicago, & Akron, OH).

The UID, of course, could have gotten the shirt elsewhere, but there's a good likelihood she attended one of those two Pine Knob shows.

I'm getting a bit frustrated because I can't find this t-shirt in any form from 1986.

All the other Concert T-Shirts from that tour do not look like that. Why?

I, myself, have bought a "knock off" concert t-shirt from a street vendor outside a venue to save $$ before. They are usually simple and not heavily detailed like the one found on the deceased however, so, I don't really lean towards that theory.

This one caught my eye because NamUs has several large, very clear pictures of the teeth and distinctive shirt.

UP#12001

DEMOGRAPHICS

Race: Caucasian
Se: Female
Height: 67 inches (5'7)
Body conditions: Mummified
Date of death: 1986 to 1989

CIRCUMSTANCES

Found: November 29, 1989
The body of a badly decoposed female was found in the attic of a rental home in the city of Detroit. She was wearing a Bob Dylan/Tom Petty concert t-shirt from the True Confessions tour in 1986.

PHYSICAL

Hair color: Long, straight, dishwater blonde

CLOTHING

Light blue "GAP" brand jeans, sweatshirt, Bob Dylan/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert t-shirt from the True Confessions Tour in 1986, Blue Jean jacket, shoes, socks

Margie Ranshaw looks like a decent possible.

Age (29) is within range
Race (Caucasian) matches
UID's height (5'7) close to her height range (5'2 - 5'6)
Hair (long, blonde) matches
Timing (2 1/2 years to UID's discovery) is consistent
Her car was found in Howell, MI (55.5 mi from Detroit)
--

Anyways, it looks like the UID has at least one amalgam filling in her teeth.

I'm also looking for the shirt she was wearing. There are several different shirt designs for that same concert; maybe this specific one (with the outline of the US and the words ''Alone + Together") was sold only in certain areas?

I'm getting a bit frustrated because I can't find this t-shirt in any form from 1986.

All the other Concert T-Shirts from that tour do not look like that. Why?

I, myself, have bought a "knock off" concert t-shirt from a street vendor outside a venue to save $$ before. They are usually simple and not heavily detailed like the one found on the deceased however, so, I don't really lean towards that theory.

I found one that looks like this shirt at this link:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Bob...-Tour-T-Shirt-1986-True-Confessions/155009847

Look at the 2nd pic, it has the map on the back, and the words ALONE +TOGETHER, from 1986

"June/July cities and dates on the back."
Quote from the link.

The Jane Doe could have been from quite a few places. The concert passed through California (Inglewood, Paso Robles, Mountain View, San Diego, Sacramento, Costa Mesa and Berkeley), Nevada (Reno), Arizona (Phoenix), Texas (Houston, Austin and Dallas), Indiana (Indianapolis), Minnesota (Minneapolis), Illinois (Hoffman Estates), Wisconsin (East Troy), Michigan (Clarkston), New York (Orchard Park, Saratoga Springs and New York City), Ohio (Akron), Massachusetts (Mansfield x 2), Washington D.C, Connecticut (Hartford), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia), New Jersey (East Rutherford), Kansas (Bonner Springs), Colorado (Morrison), Oregon (Portland) and Washington (Tacoma).

Phyllis Flynn went missing in May 88 and was last known to live in the Southwest side of Detroit in a hotel with her boyfriend. Her hair is mentioned as having blond streaks. The height is off quite a bit. I tried to enlarge pics to check teeth but they are fuzzy at best. Phyllis' teeth appear to have the straight bottom edges of UID but I think her top jaw as a whole is wider

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3432dfmi.html

Thoughts?

Phyllis Flynn went missing in May 88 and was last known to live in the Southwest side of Detroit in a hotel with her boyfriend. Her hair is mentioned as having blond streaks. The height is off quite a bit. I tried to enlarge pics to check teeth but they are fuzzy at best. Phyllis' teeth appear to have the straight bottom edges of UID but I think her top jaw as a whole is wider.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3432dfmi.html

Thoughts?

This looks like quite a good possibility to me. The height is a discrepancy, but the height on the case file shows that they weren't actually able to provide a solid estimation, and there also would have been room for her to grow between the last sighting and the postmortem interval. The Hotel Yorba had (and I believe still has) a reputation as a flophouse, so maybe she somehow ended up somewhere else in Detroit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back