NV - Lokelani Morton-Speer, 10 mos, dies of methadone OD, Laughlin, 11 Sept 2014

kimi_SFC

Reaction score
Coroner rules baby died from methadone overdose - Mohave Daily News: The Laughlin Nevada Times
65f7d619b07d8d94dc5190e6c236ce45.jpg

By JULIE FAIRMAN News West
LAUGHLIN — The Clark County Coroner’s Office has ruled the death of 10-month-old Lokelani Morton-Speer a homicide.
Toxicology tests revealed the baby died from acute methadone toxicity; she also was suffering from bronchopneumonia.
Clark County Coroner P. Michael Murphy told the Laughlin Nevada Times that his office was not able to determine how the methadone entered Morton-Speer’s body. “That’s a question for the police,” he said. “It’s an ongoing investigation.”
Information provided by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and the Clark County Department of Family Services states the baby’s parent called 9-1-1 at 12:13 a.m. on Sept. 11 after finding her unresponsive. Officers and medical personnel responded to the call for help from the Riverwood apartments; and the EMTs pronounced Morton-Speer deceased.
An allegation of neglect was filed with CCDFS on Aug. 21, and that case was still being investigated at the time of the baby girl’s death.
(snip)
It’s unknown at this time what role the baby’s mother, Alise Morton, may have played in her daughter’s death or if she’s the subject of an investigation.
Sources revealed Morton’s other children were removed from her care and placed in their father’s custody.
(snip)
Morton-Speer would have celebrated her first birthday on Oct. 29.

.http://www.mohavedailynews.com/laug...cle_48dbf396-4dd7-11e4-89ab-0f81223f19a3.html

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Methadone cited in Laughlin baby’s death | Las Vegas Review-Journal

(snip)

The Clark County Department of Family Services opened a neglect investigation three weeks before Lokelani’s death, records show.

The family services department received a report alleging neglect on Aug. 21. That allegation still was being investigated, and a separate report was filed after Lokelani’s death.

More@Link
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/methadone-cited-laughlin-baby-s-death

Neglect inquiry started before Laughlin baby’s death | Las Vegas Review-Journal
September 16, 2014

By RICARDO TORRES
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

The Clark County Department of Family Services opened a neglect investigation three weeks before a 10-month-old baby was found dead on Thursday morning in Laughlin, records show.

Medical personnel responded to a home in the 1700 block of Cal Edison Drive, about 100 miles southeast of Las Vegas, shortly after midnight on Thursday, Las Vegas police said.

More@Link

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/neglect-inquiry-started-laughlin-baby-s-death

Thanks Rayemonde for caring! Mom and dad are still posting on FB so mom hasn't had to face the consequences of her neglect. She did post on FB that she hasn't seen two of her kids in two years.

An article from this September:

LAUGHLIN — It’s been one year since Lokelani Morton-Speer died in her mother’s Riverwood apartment in Laughlin. Despite being ruled a homicide by the Clark County Coroner’s Office, no arrests have been made in the death of the 10-month-old girl.
Responding to continued requests for updates, Sgt. Larry Hadfield with Metro’s Office of Public Information said on Aug. 24 that, “Metro’s Abuse and Neglect division is working with the coroner’s office and the district attorney’s office, and one of the things they’re waiting for is the results of additional tests.”

http://www.mohavedailynews.com/laug...cle_fa2a75f4-5679-11e5-93db-07bdc327b2d9.html

Oh, thanks for that! :) I hope LE can get to the bottom of what happened, and until then I hope the parents are kept well away from any children... And if the mother has another baby, it is taken off her!

Thank you all for the updates on Lokelani's thread!
This case broke my heart, especially once I saw her picture :tears:
This precious BabyGirl deserved so much better - especially when you consider how tragically short her life was! :no:

I am impatiently :waiting: for charges to be filed against those who contributed to her demise. As long as that's the end result, then I'll just have to be patient - no easy task!

#JusticeForLokelani
:rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member