IN IN - Prof. James Miller, 58, Goshen, 9 October 2011

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
JamesMiller_zpscf97e410.jpg

http://www.goshennews.com/news/local_news/article_dfe16119-b077-5dff-98b8-cd15525edffb.html

Miller, 58, was killed at around 1 a.m. Oct. 9, 2011, during a home invasion in the 1700 block of Wildwood Court, a neighborhood practically within shouting distance of the GC campus. Miller’s wife, Linda, was also home during the invasion and was seriously injured before managing to call 911.

Goshen police were dispatched to the Miller home at 1:06 a.m., and arrived at the normally quiet neighborhood east of the college campus just a few minutes later. During the 911 call, Linda Miller told police there was a robbery in progress and that she had been attacked by a white male.

Since that frantic call, hundreds of tips have poured into the Goshen Police Department related to the murder. But Millers’ attacker remains at large and has yet to be identified.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/...-since-Goshen-professors-death-227039831.html

James Miller, 58, taught biology at Goshen College and lived just a stone’s throw from the campus in the 1700 block of Wildwood Ct. He and his wife Linda were inside their ranch-style home when an intruder attacked after 1 a.m.

Police said Linda called 911 after the intruder struck her with an object. But by the time Goshen police arrived it was too late for James Miller. Miller suffered fatal blunt-force and sharp-force injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. The Elkhart County Coroner said it was difficult to determine a total number of wounds because the body was so badly injured.

Came across this article and was expecting to see more activity over on this thread. I didn't see which genetic genealogist group assisted in the solve(maybe Parabon?)

Weird that this article seems to be trying to cast doubt about the DNA - has anyone seen any further articles on the suspect? Horrifically creepy that is appears to be a random attack.

Did Cops Catch the Right Murderer in Biology Professor’s Home Invasion Slaying?

The jury has completed deliberations and has returned a verdict in the trial of Winston Corbett. Corbett was charged in the murder of James Miller and attempted murder of Linda Miller in October 2011.

The jury found Corbett guilty of murdering James and attempting to kill Linda.

The trial lasted eight days.

Winston Corbett convicted in murder of professor James Miller

This was big news here. The trial was available to watch online and I watched when I could, but I wasn’t able to nearly as much as I wanted. Some parts were muted. I think they were talking about whatever records were sealed. I don’t really know, but I think it was discussion about him getting into trouble in the Navy. It was mentioned in closing arguments. I did see Linda Miller describe the awful attack. I saw law enforcement testify. I saw Winston Corbett testify, but I missed the part about the genetic genealogy, so that's a bummer. I do know that means of identification was being pointed at as flawed. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an appeal.

This was big news here. The trial was available to watch online and I watched when I could, but I wasn’t able to nearly as much as I wanted. Some parts were muted. I think they were talking about whatever records were sealed. I don’t really know, but I think it was discussion about him getting into trouble in the Navy. It was mentioned in closing arguments. I did see Linda Miller describe the awful attack. I saw law enforcement testify. I saw Winston Corbett testify, but I missed the part about the genetic genealogy, so that's a bummer. I do know that means of identification was being pointed at as flawed. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an appeal.

Well, naturally the defense attorney is going to do all he can do to discredit evidence against his client. Here’s how I see things. Genetic genealogy is used to develop a suspect, not to prove a case, as I see things. Then they get genetic material belonging to the suspect, and test it in the ordinary way. If those tests rule out the suspect, LE moves on. So, as I see it, genetic genealogy itself isn’t problematic—it’d have to be standard DNA testing that you’d have an issue with.

Corbett sentencing delayed

"The sentencing for a Goshen man convicted of murdering a Goshen College professor and attacking his wife was pushed back about two-and-a-half weeks. His attorney cited COVID-19 restrictions as a reason for needing more time.

Winston Corbett, 25, was scheduled to be sentenced in Elkhart County Circuit Court on Thursday, nearly a month after his trial ended. But instead, the hearing focused on a request by Corbett’s lawyer to delay the proceedings into late January."

"He faces up to 115 years in prison if he receives the maximum sentence for the conviction."

Killer is sentenced to 115 years in prison for stabbing a college professor to death | Daily Mail Online

"An Indiana man has been sentenced to 115 years in prison for fatally stabbing a college professor and leaving the man's wife with nearly two dozen stab wounds during a home invasion in 2011.

Winston Earl Corbett, 25, was sentenced on Monday by an Elkhart Circuit Court judge to 65 years for murder and 50 years for attempted murder, with the terms to run consecutively.

Corbett was 16 in October 2011 when he fatally stabbed Goshen College biology professor James Miller, 58, and badly wounded Miller's wife Linda, who was stabbed 23 times but survived.

At sentencing, Judge Michael Christofeno blasted the crime, apparently a random home invasion, as 'sadistic' and handed down the maximum possible sentence.

'Doors once left unlocked were no longer left unlocked,' said Judge Christofeno, noting the gruesome crime's impact on the quiet community, according to WNDU-TV."

People magazine also gave some coverage to the sentencing. Not that there could ever be any sort of justification of this horrific crime, but I am surprised to not hear anything about the suspect. Surely some of his classmates and family have some insight here - I guess perhaps the silence is indicative of a lack of surprise? Also, it took ~7 yrs to link him to the crime with DNA - what has he been doing in the interim? I feel so awful for the Miller family and whole community which must have been completely terrorized by this crime.

Indiana Man Sentenced to 115 Years for Killing Professor and Stabbing His Wife Nearly 2 Dozen Times

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back