MO - Police officer fatally shoots Vonderrick Myers in south St. Louis #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejac

Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_2d5a8c2a-97db-5cec-a477-1130d7d26f7e.html

Dotson said the officer was in a car when he saw three males and one of them started to run away but stopped. The officer did a U-turn and then all three ran. He drove through streets following them and then chased them on foot. He then got into a physical confrontation with one that escalated into gunfire.

The teenager had a gun and fired at least three shots at the officer, who returned fire, the chief said. The teenager attempted to fire more but his gun jammed, Dotson said.

Oh man......not good.

And I thought the LEO was fatally shoot, as that's all you see in the thread title on the board.

http://www.ibtimes.com/st-louis-pol...-after-vonderrick-myers-jr-reportedly-1701933

St. Louis Police Shooting: Protesters Attack Police After Vonderrick Myers Jr. Reportedly Killed By Officer

Sam Dotson said that the 32-year-old officer was patrolling the Shaw neighborhood for a private security company Wednesday when he saw three men who ran when they saw him, according to CBS News. After the officer pursued the men, he got into a physical confrontation with one of them, resulting in the man firing at the officer, who returned fire, killing the suspect. According to police, the suspect's gun reportedly jammed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/9/ferguson-officer-kills-black-man-18-in-17-round-gu/#!

was off-duty and patrolling a neighborhood for a privately owned security company when three men in the street saw him and started running. One of the men was grabbing at his waistband and running rather lopsided, much as someone who’s carrying a gun would. so the officer followed him, the chief said, CBS News reported.

That man then reportedly turned and fired at the officer — and the officer shot back and killed him, Chief Dotson said

People who said they were relatives of the killed man said to the St. Louis Post Dispatch that the suspect was not armed.

Police, however, found a 9mm Ruger, the St. Louis Post Dispatch said

Apparently, the deceased has an open case on case net, for illegally carrying a weapon. And he was out on bond. That was said on the live chat last night, as I watched the livestream. The protests were pretty crazy last night. I hope it rains this weekend. :eek:

Chris Hayes ✔ @ChrisHayesTV
Follow
Chief Dotson reports 18-year-old suspect had many interactions with police (on suspect's adult record).
11:15 PM - 8 Oct 2014

KSDK NewsChannel 5 ✔ @ksdknews
Follow
#ShawShooting @ChiefSLMPD: Ballistics show suspect fired at least 3 rounds at the officer
11:20 PM - 8 Oct 2014

Follow
Vonderrit Myers had trial coming up in Nov. Was charged with unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. #shawshooting #VonderritMyers
11:24 PM - 8 Oct 2014

Follow
Protesters beating St. Louis police cars in Shaw after a fatal shooting. v @Nettaaaaaaaa #Ferguson #ShawShooting https://vine.co/v/OAaaz32ehwv

I watched Bassem's live stream last night and live tweeted what he said and what they were doing. I saw protesters attack two separate police cars. Bassem threatened LE more than 15 different times. I'll try to find his live feed from last night and link it if I'm allowed.

I honestly don't know how he is still walking free and not in jail

OK..so, in MB's case (if I am understanding correctly), the big thing was, "He wasn't armed." And that's what was driving all of this -- riots, demonstrations, violence, etc.

So now we have a guy who was (allegedly) armed, and actually fired the first shot....and still, people have problems with this???

I don't get it.

For some, it's always going to come down to a "race" thing, because that's how they are programmed....no matter what the circumstances, if one of them is white and the other is black, it's always going to be a "race" thing. The way I see it, they have no viable solution. They're not going to have an all-black police force (which, I, personally, would love, because the crime will still continue...and there will still be officer-involved shootings, but then there will be no race card to play). I'm not even sure they realize there is no solution to their claims of it being a race thing, except to get over it.

OK..so, in MB's case (if I am understanding correctly), the big thing was, "He wasn't armed." And that's what was driving all of this -- riots, demonstrations, violence, etc.

So now we have a guy who was (allegedly) armed, and actually fired the first shot....and still, people have problems with this???

I don't get it.

For some, it's always going to come down to a "race" thing, because that's how they are programmed....no matter what the circumstances, if one of them is white and the other is black, it's always going to be a "race" thing. The way I see it, they have no viable solution. They're not going to have an all-black police force (which, I, personally, would love, because the crime will still continue...and there will still be officer-involved shootings, but then there will be no race card to play). I'm not even sure they realize there is no solution to their claims of it being a race thing, except to get over it.

In Twitterland, they deny he was armed. They say he was carrying a sandwich, not a gun, and the cops planted the gun on him.

It is a fact that he was out on bond for carrying an illegal weapon and resisting arrest, but that is referred to the same way the robbery video was, as trying to deflect and taint the victim.

No one wants to accept that he shot first, nor that he was even armed.

I watched Bassem's live stream last night and live tweeted what he said and what they were doing. I saw protesters attack two separate police cars. Bassem threatened LE more than 15 different times. I'll try to find his live feed from last night and link it if I'm allowed.

I truly think they are building one bigger case against him. I didn't get to watch the livestream last night, but if he was only threatening and not actually violent, I think they are biding their time and adding up the charges so that he's not out on a $500 bond or whatever but instead has a $25,000 bond or something.

In Twitterland, they deny he was armed. They say he was carrying a sandwich, not a gun, and the cops planted the gun on him.

It is a fact that he was out on bond for carrying an illegal weapon and resisting arrest, but that is referred to the same way the robbery video was, as trying to deflect and taint the victim.

No one wants to accept that he shot first, nor that he was even armed.

(above, bbm)
Yeah, I could have predicted that.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_2d5a8c2a-97db-5cec-a477-1130d7d26f7e.html

updated with new information

Myers was wearing an ankle bracelet at the time he died — a court-ordered monitoring system as a condition of bail in a gun case, according to his lawyer and police.
Identifying themselves as part of the Michael Brown Leadership Coalition, they also suggested that Gov. Jay Nixon appoint a blue-ribbon commission to look at this case. One of them, State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, said she believes that Myers was shot in the back of the head.

who, Bassem? Rumor has it Bassem's a narc for LE & that's why even after being arrested over 30 times for driving without a driver's license he's still out & about. He was front & center earlier this summer at the Palestine Rally

Dotson, who came to the scene and gave an update to reporters after midnight, said the officer had been in a car when he saw three males near Shaw Boulevard and Klemm Street at about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. One of the males started to run away but stopped. The officer did a U-turn and then all three ran, in the 4100 block of Shaw Boulevard. The officer drove through streets following them, and then he got out and chased them on foot. -snip-

About two dozen protesters outside Police Headquarters on Thursday morning called for a Department of Justice investigation of Wednesday night's shooting.

Identifying themselves as part of the Michael Brown Leadership Coalition, they also suggested that Gov. Jay Nixon appoint a blue-ribbon commission to look at this case. One of them, State Sen. Jamilah Nasheed, said she believes that Myers was shot in the back of the head.

AP: "St. Louis Police Chief Col. Sam Dotson said the 32-year-old officer, whom he didn't identify, was patrolling the historic Shaw neighborhood in his police uniform for a private security company at around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday when he saw three males, and one of them ran off before stopping. When the officer did a U-turn all three ran, so the officer gave chase, first in his car and then by foot."

AP doesn't mention what about the three black males caught the attention of the officer driving by, much less why he felt the need to pursue them by car and at least one on foot. Did Chief Dotson explain anything about that?

For those of you in LE or with family in LE, couple of questions regarding this other incident. Before I ask, I'll make it clear, by all accounts, the guy was fired on and by being fired on was justified in firing back, no doubt.

When working side jobs as security, which I understand many cops do, are they allowed to wear their uniforms? I have no point of reference on it beyond other jobs or sports, where they don't want you wearing a company/team's uniform when doing other things because what you do outside of work would then reflect on the company/team, not to mention the liability issues.

Second, does the fact that he was off duty change which statutes apply as far as justification goes? In other words, does the so called "fleeing felon" rule still apply and so forth?

I guess there's no way around it, but I also wish that they'd stop referring to him as an officer. He was not an officer at the time of the shooting. He was a guard or whatever. Point is, he wasn't acting in his capacity as an officer and calling him an officer gives the impression he was. Is that line of thinking wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie