AZ - Natalyah Bennett, 5 wks, beaten to death, dad charged, 8 Oct 2014

zwiebel

Reaction score
Duryea Bennett was left alone with his 35-day-old twin girls for the first time Wednesday, and he reported Natalyah had 'drowned' in the bath.

He's now been arrested on suspicion of first degree murder. Police say the baby had bruises, a skull fracture, bite marks and injuries 'consistent with sexual assault'. Bennett, 39, told police the bite was from trying to revive his baby girl. The other twin and 14-year-old sibling who were also in the home at the time, are unharmed.

Bail is set at $1million.

ETA: There were seven children in total, in the home.

http://www.kltv.com/story/26742043/father-charged-in-death-of-his-1-month-old-baby

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 250
In depth write up with slide show by azfamily.com.... :cry:

d2b7ed1abeaabb6f2101168cd40ca958.jpg

(snip)

"She wasn't responding. Her eyes were just rolling. She wasn't responding, and he didn't know what he was doing because he's a first-time parent," (victim's aunt JM-S / redacted) said about the baby's father, Duryea Bennett.
One day after the death of his young daughter, Bennett made his initial appearance in court on charges of murder and child abuse.
He not only told the judge he is the victim, but also blamed his daughter's death on his lack of knowledge.
"I didn't know anything about CPR, so I started to use my hands ... like maybe hitting on her chest too hard," Bennett told a judge. "I started spanking her on the butt, just maybe, I just don't know."
According to court paperwork, doctors say Bennett's story is inconsistent with little NB's lifeless body at the hospital.
She suffered extensive bruising to her torso and feet, bite marks and substantial head trauma.
Police tell 3TV her father is also suspected of sexually assaulting her.
"It makes me sick, you know, especially a little child ... that can't even defend herself," JM-S said.
She said it was a horrifying reality. JM-S said she never suspected Bennett of being violent and never imagined planning a funeral for her infant niece.

MuchMore@Link
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Murdered-babys-aunt-It-makes-me-sick-278734041.html

------

Because of the very young age of the victim, I have redacted her name as well. It has been released here and in other MSM articles. I will contact Mod/Admin staff to ask if we should switch to identifying the victim by her initials (so far she has been named by first name only), or if identifying the thread by her full name is appropriate.

My heart is truly broken at the amount of suffering she has already experienced, not having witnessed a full year on this earth. :moo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He put a five week old baby in the BATHTUB? Really?

Poor little thing never really had a chance......

How does a 35 day old baby 'drown' taking a bath? Seriously bad excuse. Nice try killer.

"I’m a victim of trying to bring my child back to life but not knowing the procedure on how to do it," said Bennett.
"As far as child abuse, to me that’s like super-crazy to me because when my child wouldn’t come back I just fell down on my dining room table with her in my arms. I don’t know if that imposed my physical, as they say, abuse to her but that’s what happened," said Bennett.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Phoenix-police-investigating-suspicious-death-of-infant-278607721.html

He was watching eight kids that day. Isn't it time for better birth control education? SMH...

Right now the preliminary hearing is scheduled for October 20.

I've got my eye on you, Bub! :stormingmad:

How absolutely horrible! It's bad enough that he abused and killed this baby but he also has forever deprived her sister of her very closest sibling. Two of my children have sets of twins and the relationship between twin siblings is very special.

"I’m a victim of trying to bring my child back to life but not knowing the procedure on how to do it," said Bennett.
"As far as child abuse, to me that’s like super-crazy to me because when my child wouldn’t come back I just fell down on my dining room table with her in my arms. I don’t know if that imposed my physical, as they say, abuse to her but that’s what happened," said Bennett.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Phoenix-police-investigating-suspicious-death-of-infant-278607721.html

He was watching eight kids that day. Isn't it time for better birth control education? SMH...

Right now the preliminary hearing is scheduled for October 20.

I've got my eye on you, Bub! :stormingmad:

A first time parent placed in charge of eight children then decides to bathe this precious little one in the bathtub!?!?!?

:waitasec:

This goes way beyond.....

I am in the land of Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

:eek:verreaction:

:silenced:

Father arrested in death of 1-month-old twin daughter - CBS 5 - KPHO

(snip)

Crump said hospital staff found numerous injuries, including bruises, a skull fracture, fractured ribs, bite marks and injuries consistent with sexual assault.

Bennett told his 14-year-old son that the infant was not breathing and the teen called 911, reporting the infant had stopped breathing while she was in the bath at her home in the area of 43rd Avenue and Baseline Road about 1 p.m. Thursday, according to the police.

Phoenix Fire Department officials said the girl, who was pronounced dead at the hospital just before 2 p.m. Thursday, was only 35 days old.

Investigators said the father was the only adult home with seven children. Bennett told police it was the first time he was alone with the twin infants.

Bennett said he used force and hit the infant numerous times on the back and stomach in an attempt to stop her from choking on milk from an earlier feeding, the police report states.

He also told police he bit his daughter in an attempt to revive her.

"I only got to see both of them once since they been born," said JM-S (redacted), the baby's aunt.

"The baby was choking. He turned her up. The baby threw up, and then he had put them in the bath and then went to go get a towel," (JM)-S explained. "The next thing you know, the baby was not breathing."

Much More - including embedded video - at link......

http://www.kpho.com/story/26742043/father-charged-in-death-of-his-1-month-old-baby

:rose: for BabyN

:candle:

Father arrested in death of 1-month-old twin daughter - CBS 5 - KPHO

(snip)

Crump said hospital staff found numerous injuries, including bruises, a skull fracture, fractured ribs, bite marks and injuries consistent with sexual assault.

Bennett told his 14-year-old son that the infant was not breathing and the teen called 911, reporting the infant had stopped breathing while she was in the bath at her home in the area of 43rd Avenue and Baseline Road about 1 p.m. Thursday, according to the police.

Phoenix Fire Department officials said the girl, who was pronounced dead at the hospital just before 2 p.m. Thursday, was only 35 days old.

Investigators said the father was the only adult home with seven children. Bennett told police it was the first time he was alone with the twin infants.

Bennett said he used force and hit the infant numerous times on the back and stomach in an attempt to stop her from choking on milk from an earlier feeding, the police report states.

He also told police he bit his daughter in an attempt to revive her.

"I only got to see both of them once since they been born," said JM-S (redacted), the baby's aunt.

"The baby was choking. He turned her up. The baby threw up, and then he had put them in the bath and then went to go get a towel," (JM)-S explained. "The next thing you know, the baby was not breathing."

Much More - including embedded video - at link......

http://www.kpho.com/story/26742043/father-charged-in-death-of-his-1-month-old-baby

:rose: for BabyN

:candle:

I was waiting for the I/He/She is/was a good/loving parent card to get played. With so many "good" parents in the threads here on WS it seems to me that kids might just be safer with mediocre parents. Sorry, had to rant. :mad:

From your link:

"He (the baby's father) was always loving and caring," Stevenson said. "So it would be a shocker if something did come and suspect that he did it."

Could this guy come up with any more excuses????
Oh, I'm sure he will. :furious:

The first word that came to mind when reading some of his excuses is "ignorant." But, that's just what he wants people to believe.... That he accidentally killed his daughter while trying to help her and just was ignorant of how to feed, bathe, resuscitate and handle an infant. Oh, poor helpless daddy! :boohoo: Baloney!

Why would he be left alone with an infant - and 2 for that matter! - if he didn't know how to care for them? Had the older 5 children survived his "parenting" from infancy? What he did to that poor child is barbaric, and it's his pathetic excuses that are so ignorant. (Does he really expect anyone to believe them?)

RIP beautiful baby girl. You are in a loving place now. :rose:

The first word that came to mind when reading some of his excuses is "ignorant." But, that's just what he wants people to believe.... That he accidentally killed his daughter while trying to help her and just was ignorant of how to feed, bathe, resuscitate and handle an infant. Oh, poor helpless daddy! :boohoo: Baloney!

Why would he be left alone with an infant - and 2 for that matter! - if he didn't know how to care for them? Had the older 5 children survived his "parenting" from infancy? What he did to that poor child is barbaric, and it's his pathetic excuses that are so ignorant. (Does he really expect anyone to believe them?)

RIP beautiful baby girl. You are in a loving place now. :rose:

My question is what was his behavior prior to being left alone with the babies? There is a back story here that has noting to do with his claims. Jmt

ciao

Didn't any of the other children see or hear what happened? Did the baby have any water in its lungs? His excuses don't even sound believable. I wonder why he beat up on the one baby and not the other. How long had he been alone with the children?

ITA. Even the most ignorant among us know that you do not hit, bite and sexually assault a baby.

What is his excuse for the sexual assault? This is beyond deplorable, what a sick *advertiser censored*. How on earth do they have 8 kids and this is his first experience with an infant?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back