CANADA Canada - Janis Ozollapa, 50, Oakville, Ont, 30 Sept 2014

deugirtni

Reaction score
OZOLLAPA headshot.jpg

Police, family and friends are asking for the public’s help finding a Burlington, Ont. man who went missing on Tuesday.

Janis Ozollapa of Burlington was last seen leaving his workplace on Weeping Willow Drive in Oakville, Ont. on Sept. 30 at 2 p.m. He was driving his vehicle — a black 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche with the personalized licence plate OZOLLAPA.
ozollapa-vehicle-20141004

Ozollapa was last seen driving his black 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche. (Halton Regional Police)

He has not been seen or heard from since. His vehicle has also not been seen.

"This is very out of character … that he’d disappear like this," friend Karlis Blums told CBC News, noting Ozollapa has both a wife and a young daughter.

“It’s been very difficult because as the days go by and you haven’t heard from him, it’s just very heartbreaking and to have, so far, no real leads on where he went and just disappeared, it gets difficult.”

Loved ones are putting up posters in the area.

“I just have to believe [the police] are doing their jobs the best they can,” his wife Patricia Rose told CBC News.

“The investigators that are working on it have assured me they will keep me up to date and posted on any changes or anything that might come up, so I’m just trusting in God and praying and trusting in the police that they’re gonna do whatever they can.”

Ozollapa is 50, white, six feet tall and 170 pounds with a medium build. He has grey eyes, a goatee, is bald and speaks with a heavy Latvian accent. He was last seen wearing a T-shirt, blue jeans, brown Crocs and had a black laptop briefcase.

Ozollapa, who works as a contractor, also has friends and work acquaintances in Toronto, according to Blums.

Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at (905) 825-4747 x2310.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/janis-ozollapa-burlington-resident-missing-since-tuesday-1.2787928

.... Halton police converged on a parking lot across from the Oakville GO station, surrounding the pickup truck of missing Burlington man Janis Ozollapa Friday afternoon.
Related Stories
Police canvass Oakville street in... Police searching for missing...

Police cruisers surrounded the area at 157 Cross Ave., opposite the Oakville GO station, and officers cordoned off the truck.

A forensics van was on scene.

The black Chevrolet Avalanche with licence plate ‘Ozollapa’ was located at the rear of the building.

Police confirmed the vehicle was empty and are continuing their search for the missing man.

Friday night police issued a statement saying they are anxious to speak with the man or anyone who may have seen his truck prior to it being recovered earlier in the day.

"Police continue to seek the public's assistance to locate the owner of the vehicle, 50- year-old Janis Ozollapa. Police are anxious to speak with Mr. Ozollapa, anyone who knows of his whereabouts or anyone who saw Mr. Ozollapa's vehicle prior to it being recovered," stated the release from Det. Constable Jack Olewniczak.

After finding the vehicle thanks to a tip from a member of the public, officers searched the area and adjacent strip mall, checking in drains and shrubbery. A canine unit was brought on scene and officers climbed onto a nearby rooftop to investigate.

By 5 p.m., a flatbed tow truck was brought in and the pickup was towed away. Shortly after, police removed the yellow tape that had blocked off the area of investigation.

An area real estate office situated in the building, overlooking where the truck was found, has two security cameras. Staff in the building told the Oakville Beaver police had been on scene for a couple of hours and had already been in asking for the tapes from the security cameras. ....

ozollapa marker.jpg

ozollapa markers 10 11.jpg

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/4909918-updated-missing-burlington-man-s-truck-located-across-from-oakville-go/

If he parked at the GO Train, wouldn't that suggest that he might have taken the train and gone somewhere? And parking at the back might suggest that he didn't wish to be found, or .. that the lot was full (which may be quite likely).

If he had his truck, there would be no need to take the train from work in Oakville to his home in Burlington. If the cctv show that he drove there himself, then I suspect he has dashed away.

Q'n: Are you required to show ID or pay with a credit card to get a ticket on the GO Train?

Although, it is a fairly old truck, and he might have had a breakdown so that he couldn't drive it home ...

No cell phone?

If he parked at the GO Train, wouldn't that suggest that he might have taken the train and gone somewhere? And parking at the back might suggest that he didn't wish to be found, or .. that the lot was full (which may be quite likely).

If he had his truck, there would be no need to take the train from work in Oakville to his home in Burlington. If the cctv show that he drove there himself, then I suspect he has dashed away.

Q'n: Are you required to show ID or pay with a credit card to get a ticket on the GO Train?

No. You can pay cash or use a credit card. Go Trains are just for commuter traffic within the southern Ontario region. No ID is required.

If you have a vehicle why take the train? I'd only be taking the train if I was heading into Toronto because of all the construction and traffic chaos.

I don't think the body found in Guelph would be Janis. Again, why park by the Go Train on the which is the Lakeshore line heading east/west and then somehow end up quite a bit north and NOT on the Go Line?

I'm guessing he headed into Toronto. You can get anywhere from Toronto via bus, plane, etc. That's the transportation hub.

Don't think you need I.D. but he could have paid with a credit card, if he bought a ticket. I imagine they would have video of that, if he did indeed buy a ticket and get on a train.

An article from a Latvian newspaper today:
http://www.kasjauns.lv/lv/zinas/168070/kanada-bez-vests-pazudis-jelgavnieks-janis-ozollapa

Friends and family say disappearance is out of character and he’s not suicidal.
Two grown children in Latvia and Norway.
Recently visited a "Canadian citizen passport portal”.
Co-owns ice rinks in Latvian hometown of Jelgava and was founder and 1st president of Latvian Curling Assn.
Living and working in Canada for 6 years.

They have video of him running....I wonder where to, or from who.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4913704-missing-burlington-man-s-vehicle-found/

From the article:

"Halton Regional Police found Janis Ozollapa's Chevrolet Avalanche with the licence plate "OZOLLAPA" on Friday, near the Lighting Centre on Cross Avenue in Oakville.

Video surveillance from Oct. 1 at 5:25 a.m. showed an unidentified male running west on Cross from the lighting retailer.

In addition, the video showed three vehicles travelling east at the same time the person was running west. Police want to talk to the drivers of those vehicles: a motorcycle, a pickup truck and a taxi cab."

How odd. Did he run to catch a train or is the station in another direction?

From the article:

"Halton Regional Police found Janis Ozollapa's Chevrolet Avalanche with the licence plate "OZOLLAPA" on Friday, near the Lighting Centre on Cross Avenue in Oakville.

Video surveillance from Oct. 1 at 5:25 a.m. showed an unidentified male running west on Cross from the lighting retailer.

In addition, the video showed three vehicles travelling east at the same time the person was running west. Police want to talk to the drivers of those vehicles: a motorcycle, a pickup truck and a taxi cab."

How odd. Did he run to catch a train or is the station in another direction?

The Train Station is south from the Lighting Store. He could be running west to the traffic lights and then head across the street to the train station but the station is right across the road. He would have to walk through the station parking lot to get to the actual station. People RUN for the trains all the time. It's what we do! I'm pretty sure that they have CCTV Cameras at the Go Station. If he went there they would have video I would think.

Running west would take him to a subway that runs under the Highway heading north and back up into north Oakville. If he continued west along Cross he would follow the road down a winding hill to skirt past Sixteen Mile Creek which is a fairly big wide creek that runs into Lake Ontario to the south.

When I read that, I was not assuming the 'running man' was Ozallapa. It says 'unidentified male'.. why do we think that would be Ozollapa? They knew what Ozallapa was wearing when he went missing, and they know his baldness, etc., his height, his build, his appearance.. if it were him in the video, why would he be 'unidentified'? LE are generally petty good at deciphering video, aren't they? Why weren't we shown the video? (or were we, but I haven't come across it??). If the 'unidentified male' running in the video was NOT Ozallapa, then would LE also be asking for the unidentified male to come forward, or would it be assumed he was a perp and wouldn't come forward?

They have video of him running....I wonder where to, or from who.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4913704-missing-burlington-man-s-vehicle-found/

Thanks for the map.. all of the little icons are all mushed together on my screen, and I can't seem to make it larger to separate them.. any tricks?

Here’s a bit of a case map to help with directions:
Janis Ozollapa, missing from Burlington, Ontario since September 30th, 2014: http://goo.gl/maps/dHnCG

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back