Ireland Ireland - Fiona Pender, 25, Tullamore, 23 August 1996

ainerose

Reaction score
Fiona Pender is one of Irelands missing women. Unsolved disappearances throughout Ireland since the 1990s.
I have started this thread as there has been new developments in this case. there has been an arrest and a suspect.

23 August, 1996: Fiona Pender’s partner John Thompson left her apartment on Church Street, Tullamore, at 6am. This was the last time she was seen.
24 August 1996: Pender’s family reported her missing to Gardaí (irish LE).

http://www.thejournal.ie/fiona-pender-breakthrough-recap-1718028-Oct2014/

http://www.herald.ie/news/metal-detectors-to-be-used-in-hunt-for-missing-fiona-30679337.html

Gardai will use metal detectors and have obtained the services of a forensic anthropologist for the search of Fiona Pender's remains. The dig operation is expected to take place very soon.

Sources say officers are "confident" of finding the remains of Fiona in Laois after new information came to light following the arrest of the main suspect in relation to serious separate alleged offences abroad...

When searches get under way, metal detectors will be used - as Ms Pender had two metal pins inserted in her arm following an accident.

new search planned for tomorrow for fiona http://www.thejournal.ie/fiona-pender-search-1814979-Dec2014/

Investigators are to begin searching an area of ground in the county tomorrow.
It follows reports in recent months that officers are close to making an arrest in the case, after new information passed on to them by police in another jurisdiction.
Fiona, who worked as a hairdresser, was 25 when she disappeared in August 1996, and is presumed to have died.
Gardaí confirmed this afternoon that a search will take place at a location near Portlaoise from tomorrow morning.

good recap and timeline at link

Heartbreakingly, Fiona was 8 months pregnant at the time she vanished. If charges are forthcomjng, I hope the baby is taken into account too.

Police say the new search will conclude next week and they'll be able to tell Fiona's parents if she's there or not. Interestingly, the article says information indicating the place to search came from a woman currently living with the chief suspect.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/metal-detectors-used-search-missing-4840800

Attachments

• Fiona-collage.jpg
    Fiona-collage.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 24
Sept. 25 2017
http://www.herald.ie/news/brother-o...n-gardai-to-do-cold-case-review-36164191.html
The only surviving brother of missing Fiona Pender has called for a cold case review and told of his mother's hope for the chief suspect to be brought to justice.

Pregnant Ms Pender (25) disappeared on August 22, 1996, from her flat in Tullamore, Co Offaly.

Her mother, Josephine, a tireless campaigner for missing people, died nearly two weeks ago at the age of 68, leaving behind a son, John.
Accident

Her other son, Mark, died in a motorbike accident 14 months before part-time model Fiona's disappearance, while her husband, Sean, took his own life in 2000.

In a hard-hitting statement, John Pender said he will continue to search for his missing sister.

"I am calling for a full garda review, and/or a cold case review into my sister's case," he said.

According to Mr Pender, there is a chief suspect in the disappearance and "that has never changed"
"I would like to thank the suspect's wife who reported him to police and claimed he told her, 'I'll do to you what I did to Fiona'.
rbbm.

Ws thread for other mp referenced in this article..
Ireland - Ashling Murphy, 23, school teacher, beaten to death, Tullamore, County Offaly, 12 Jan 2022 (websleuths.com)

Lengthy article.
Who Is Fiona Pender? The Tragic Story Behind Fiona's Way (evoke.ie)
By
CLAIRE HYLAND 13TH JANUARY 2022
''The news that primary school teacher Ashling Murphy was violently killed in a public place as she went for an afternoon jog in Tullamore has sent ripples of shock through the nation.

The 22-year-old was out exercising after work when she was attacked and beaten to death on a popular stretch of towpath named Fiona's Way.''

''The tragic irony of this horrific event is that the very place where she lost her life is dedicated to another young woman who vanished without a trace 25 years earlier. A loss that the very same community is still reeling from decades later.''

FIONA PENDER FROM TULLAMORE, OFFALY. PIC: COLLINS DUBLIN
Fiona who was born in 1971 and grew up in Offaly. According to those who knew her best Fiona 'had a lot of love in her.'

A hairdresser by trade, she was the only girl in a family boys who remember her as 'a really fun sister to have'

''Fiona's disappearance has been linked under Operation Trace alongside the disappearance of other young women at the time including Deirdre Jacob, Annie McCarrick and JoJo Dollard.

This linked these cases as part of a 'vanishing triangle', roughly around the boundaries of Leinster and which all share common characteristics.''

Last edited:
Just been reading Barry Cummins' book, 'Missing: Missing Without Trace in Ireland', and it seems Josephine had her suspicions who murdered her daughter. From the way it is couched in the book, it is not hard to see who that might be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back