Serena Williams insult earns Russian tennis boss a fine and one year ban

zwiebel

Reaction score
Serena Williams has spoken out angrily against the President of the Russian Tennis Federation, after he was fined $25,000 and disqualified from working in an organisational capacity for a year, following comments he made about her on Russian State Television on Friday. The fine and ban was imposed by the World Tennis Association the following day.

'World number one Serena Williams slammed Shamil Tarpishchev for using "extremely sexist, racist and bullying" comments after the Russian Tennis Federation (RTF) president described her and sister Venus as the "Williams brothers".

Tarpishchev, who is also an International Olympic Committee member, made an official apology later on Saturday after a WTA demand to do so but that was not enough for a clearly unhappy Williams.

"I thought they were very insensitive and extremely sexist as well as racist at the same time. I thought they were in a way bullying," Williams told reporters in Singapore on Sunday. '

http://thenewage.co.za/140972-10-53-Serena_slams_quot;sexistquot;_slur_by_Russian_federation_chief

Tarpishchev says it's all a misunderstanding; his words were just lost in translation:

'Appearing on a chat show, the programme host said: “I was at the Olympics, where Maria Sharapova was in the final, playing with one, with one of the …”

Tarpishchev responded by saying “Williams brothers”.......

“I did not want to cause any offence or make fun of any of the sportsmen. I am sorry that the joke I made, when translated into English was taken out of the context of a chat show and so much attention has been brought towards it. I don’t think that the incident needed to be blown out of proportion.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/18/russian-tennis-head-apologises-williams-sisters-jibe

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back