JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Hannah Graham suspect Jesse Matthew indicted for Fairfax rape
Posted 2:28 pm, October 20, 2014, by Scott Wise and Jon Burkett, Updated at 03:35pm, October 20, 2014

[...]
A grand jury indicted Matthew on Monday for attempted capital murder, abduction and sexual penetration with an object, according to documents filed in Fairfax County Circuit Court.

The indictment spells out the three charges against Matthew.

“On or about the 24th day of September, 2005, in the City of Fairfax, Jesse Leroy Matthew, Jr. did feloniously, willfully, deliberately, intentionally and with premeditation attempt to kill R.G. in the commission of or subsequent to an abduction with the intent to defile,” the first count against Matthew reads.

The second count says that Matthew “did feloniously abduct R.G. with the intent to defile.”

The third count states that Matthew penetrated the victim “against her will, by force, threat or intimidation.”
Jesse Matthew to be charged in Fairfax City rape case
By Justin Jouvenal and T. Rees Shapiro October 20 at 3:25 PM

[...]
The fresh charges stem from an attack on a 26-year-old woman that occurred as she was walking home from a Giant on Jermantown Road on the night of Sept. 24, 2005. Police said the woman was grabbed from behind about 10 p.m. and carried from Rock Garden Drive to a nearby wooded area, where she was assaulted. The suspect then fled.

Law enforcement officials had previously announced a forensic link between the Fairfax City rape case and the 2009 disappearance of Morgan Harrington, a 20-year-old Virginia Tech student who vanished after attending a concert on the U-Va. campus. Matthew has not been charged in that case.

Hannah Graham suspect Jesse Matthew to be charged in 2005 Fairfax rape
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2014 2:24 pm

[...]
Officials announced in 2010 that a 2005 abduction and sexual assault in that city was forensically linked to the 2009 abduction of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington in Charlottesville.

The victim in that attack survived and helped police create a widely-circulated sketch of her attacker. Police later linked the Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham cases via DNA.
Three Count Indictment

This thread will open after the press conference.

:tyou:

Well, I missed the press conf. Any newsy news?

Summary: Prosecutor says they've charged JM for rape and attempted murder. Turned it over to police chief who reiterates. Prosecutor came back to say he can't answer questions. Says they are cooperating with authorities in Albemarle and expect to have him in court soon. Victim is grateful to lead detective Boone, who said he'd never give up. She is grateful that the case will go forward.

Any reason to believe she was targeted? A: I can't answer question because it would be a comment on evidence
Court date set? A: No, and I don't think it will be Thursday, but will be relatively soon.
<inaudible>: There have been releases before, but I haven't been following them, and I am the prosecutor, so I can't talk about the evidence.
Does he have a lawyer here on the Fairfax charges? A: No, I know he has an attorney in c-ville, Camblos, who is a former prosecutor and is very experienced. Expect to talk to him.
Death Penalty? A: No, victim is alive.
<inaudible>: A: There is a presumption of innocence. Proud of LE. I will do my best and hopefully justice will be served.
Why took so long? A: We were investigating, collecting evidence, delay recently was due to being thorough. Always pays to be cautious and thoughtful during an investigation. We don't charge unless the evidence is strong.
Victim in US? A: I would rather not say but she is cooperative. In fairness to her, I won't comment on that.
<inaudible>: A: confident that we will be able to bring justice.
Hannah Graham case - did that help? A: <pause> I would say sort of indirectly, that case was of value to this department in conducting its investigation, obviously LE coordinates in cases like this, but that's all I can say about it here.
<inaudible>: A: This case stands alone. He's not charged with murder here. This case stands alone; I have to prove my case beyond a reasonable doubt. I think everyone is affected by situation in C-ville.
Is charge of attempted capital murder give the public an indication of how violent the attack was, or is legally that just a completely separate thing? A: Charges speak for themselves, indictments are over there in the courthouse.

Victim is cooperative. Won't say where she is.
Oh I'm glad she's in touch with them! She must be in shock over the HG and MH connections. Imagine knowing you were almost killed? Wow.

She's a HUGE piece to this puzzle unfolding. If she had been killed, this case would be a lot less buoyant.

Major props to Detective Boone for remaining persistent over a 9 year period of time. This young lady deserves justice for what this man did to her. I'm so thankful that she had a detective on her case that never gave up and remained in contact with her for so long.

So, attempted to abduct, rape, and murder. Sounds very familiar...

Is it possible that the indictments and cases need to be brought in chronological order, so that even if evidence like DNA is lacking in the HG case, the wealth of circumstantial evidence combined with his past track record can be brought to bear in her case?

Well, not a lot of new information. I'm glad to hear that the victim is grateful for the case moving forward and that she is cooperating with the investigation - that can only make the case against JLM stronger.

Well, I missed the press conf. Any newsy news?

They didn't say much -basically not able to make specific comments about the evidence that led to these charges....blah blah
Can't answer any questions blah blah blah.
Will apply for a bench warrant on Thursday here and at some time JLM will be brought up to Fairfax to answer to the charges.
Someone asked will this case go forward first, before Charlottesville - he answered, it is OK to me if I go first, last, whatever is the right thing, that's what I'll do. Someone asked where is the victim, LE not willing to give that information. She is being co-operative but that's all I can say. blah blah

So this is what it feels like when justice begins to take hold, relieved and grateful... May all the families hurt by this aberration feel more of it in the times ahead.

What that victim must be feeling right now, it must be a world of emotions.

JLM is in deep trouble. He's certainly experiencing some karma right now.

I still fear there are other victims and she is the only one who has ever lived after being assaulted by him.

I like the prosecutor; calm, professional, no nonsense. I can only imagine how this victim must feel in light of MH and HA.

Jesus, what did he do to that poor woman? Does anyone know more details and why he was charged with attempted murder? I knew the attack was obviously a violent one, but I didn't know he tried to kill her.

ChasingMoxie, I agree. Even though there is not much, if any, new information at least this lady is cooperating and will be able to see her case through to the end. It's absolutely terrible that Hannah had to go missing in order for this victim (and hopefully MH as well) to have justice served.

I like how the CA stated that he would go first, last, whenever, it did not matter to him in regards to which court will get JM cases first....

I still fear there are other victims and she is the only one who has ever lived after being assaulted by him.

We don't know that for sure. There may be other rape victims who have spoken to LE that we not aware of. Just speculating, but it seems possible, if not likely, to me.

This must be both a relief & a burden for the victim.

and

I wonder what his family this thinking now.

The cops are ganging up & accusing J of ridiculous, impossible charges
or
OMG, we raised a monster.

With DNA proof, they absolutely must be beside themselves.
And, honestly, probably looking back on things and seeing moments where they could have stepped in and attempted to help him. Surely they saw his aggressive side. Surely they heard or witnessed his anger at women...

A lot of families live their lives in denial about who they really are and who their children actually are, though, so who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46