North Korea releases Jeffrey Fowle

zwiebel

Reaction score
US man Jeffrey Fowle, held by North Korea for 5 months after apparently leaving a bible in a nightclub bathroom there, has flown into an Ohio air force base today. His family were there to greet him.

Authorities have declined to release any details of negotiations that led to his release, probably because there are two other Americans, Matthew Miller and Kenneth Bae, still serving hard labor in N. Korea.

http://news.yahoo.com/one-three-americans-held-n-korea-freed-white-174722658.html

ETA: Old article about Jeffrey's arrest. http://www.newsweek.com/jeffrey-fowle-american-detained-north-korea-was-vacation-lawyer-says-254174

I was listening to the radio this morning, and they were reporting about Jeffrey Fowle, and it got me wondering about a few things - first off, what does the U.S. offer in such negotiations for the release of someone in another country, and why were there negotiations for this gentleman and not the other two men imprisoned there?

I'm just curious and I'll have to go do a little research but I'm wondering if it's the family that is the most proactive that gets the most results or if it's a matter of this guy has been there the longest or what the reason is that he was released and the others weren't. Maybe his "offense" wasn't considered as severe as the others.

Hopefully I'll have some time to look at it today and return with some answers to my own questions.

I hope they checked him over good for microchips or incubating diseases. NK didn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. There has to be a catch. MOO

I hope they checked him over good for microchips or incubating diseases. NK didn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts. There has to be a catch. MOO

Scary thought, and not something I even thought of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back