Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmony 2

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
20130525-il020.jpg
link
Continue discussion here...

Mmmm, I'd love one of those cups thank you and a big slice of rich chocolate cake with a large dollop of cream on top.

Well - I guess I am hoping for 3 things

1. An appeal

2. Someone leaks the trial exhibits - we need ALL the call logs!

3. Someone blabs

Or failing all that - see you for Nel's memoirs in 20 years!

OP was given an honorary doctorate degree by Strathclyde University in 2012. A spokesperson for Glasgow Women’s Aid has called on university bosses to act. She said, “For the university to say, ‘OK, we know this happened but we’re going to keep this in place’ sends out a dangerous message.”

A university spokesman said that they’re aware of the verdict and a decision regarding OP’s honorary degree will be made in line with university procedures.

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/strathclyde-university-urged-strip-oscar-4490542

Attachments

• OP2.jpg
    OP2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 432
[Posted by mrjitty on last thread]

“So, let me get this straight.

There were THREE (3) people (JM + plus 2 assessors), each of whom were understood to have exceptional legal knowledge, understanding, and experience, etc, who took ONE (1) month to come up with an illogical, inarticulate, incomplete, nonsensical verdict , major points of which had little-to-no relevance to current SA law, the evidence, or minimal common sense?”

“Mannie Witz, an advocate … at the Johannesburg Bar, says Mazibuko is ‘fresh out of university’ and comes from an academic background. Other than that, little is known about him.

Henzen-du Toit … is well known as an advocate who has defended murders and rapes, says Witz. She joined the Pretoria Bar in 1998, before leaving for the Rebel Bar in North West in 2003. She became a member of the National Forum of Advocates in 2005 and also presided over trials as an assessor during this period. In 2006, she returned to Pretoria and joined the Legal Aid Board. In 2010, she became a unit manager in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg.

A profile of Henzen-du Toit published by Beeld newspaper earlier this month pointed out that she was an expert in criminal justice. She has an Honours degree in psychology and Master's degree in criminal justice and criminal prosecution. She is working on a doctorate in criminal law, criminal prosecution, evidence and constitutional interpretation”.

The assessors are only there to help the judge decide the verdict. "They are only meant to try on the facts and can overrule the judge, but they can only overrule her on the facts. When it comes to sentencing they play no role whatsoever.

According to Professor Annette van der Merwe, a criminal procedure law expert at the University of Pretoria, if the two assessors were to rule in favour of murder, or the judge and one assessor were to rule so, that verdict would be the accepted one. The same would apply if two of them were to rule in favour of an acquittal”.

Masipa pointed out in her judgment that the verdict was a “unanimous” decision. The male assessor never uttered a word during the trial, however Henzen du Toit whispered to Masipa from time to time. When Masipa delivered her judgment it appeared as though she was reading it for the first time. She paused occasionally and said, “I’ll rephrase that”, and made notes before continuing on. I have never ever seen this done in an Australian court. Someone said later that day that he/she had seen many judgments handed down by Masipa in the past and the wording seemed different to that which she normally used. This gave rise to speculation that Henzen du Toit may have been the person who actually wrote it with input from Masipa rather than the other way around.

More info in thread.

http://www.mediaclubsouthafrica.com/democracy/3759-assessors-can-decide-pistorius-s-fate

Well - I guess I am hoping for 3 things

1. An appeal

2. Someone leaks the trial exhibits - we need ALL the call logs!

3. Someone blabs

Or failing all that - see you for Nel's memoirs in 20 years!

I agree! Meanwhile, I'm continuing to work on what really happened with what information we have and think I'm close to having a version that fits all the objective facts. I know there will be no re-trial but I still want to get as close to the truth as possible. I am now convinced the bat comes after the gunshots ... but before anyone fears I'm doing a complete about face on OP's guilt, I also think he knew Reeva was in the toilet. More to follow.

Those who are decrying that OP shouldn't go to jail or that 5 years is too long seem to forget that for the victim, it's a life sentence

“Five years doesn't seem very long a sentence to make up for taking someone else's life. After all, that person is gone forever, not just relocated to the underworld for a few years. Ten months is a bad joke”.

So why is it that the victim and the one now paying the ultimate price in this scenario, seems to be the furthest from people's minds when discussing the ruling.

OP is even starting to be framed as the new 'victim' - with a life ruined by the experience.

Articles discuss his future - a future Reeva was robbed of - and even speculate about when he'll next race.

(I wish I could have quoted the entire article. It's really good)

https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blog...-killed--let-s-not-forget-that-122418295.html

Attachments

• reeva2.jpg
    reeva2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 423
OP’s agent, Peet van Zy,l says he's seeking a meeting with him in prison in the next few days to discuss his running future. South Africa's Olympic committee says OP is ineligible to compete for five years.

He said that lawyers will meet with OP in prison on Friday, after which it will become clearer when Van Zyl and OP’s track coach, Ampie Louw, can talk to him about his career.

The only thing Peet and Ampie can tell him about his career is that it’s over, finito.

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/10/23/5431610_pistorius-agent-to-have-prison.html?rh=1

I agree! Meanwhile, I'm continuing to work on what really happened with what information we have and think I'm close to having a version that fits all the objective facts. I know there will be no re-trial but I still want to get as close to the truth as possible. I am now convinced the bat comes after the gunshots ... but before anyone fears I'm doing a complete about face on OP's guilt, I also think he knew Reeva was in the toilet. More to follow.

So glad to hear you are continuing with this, Mr Fossil.

Those who are decrying that OP shouldn't go to jail or that 5 years is too long seem to forget that for the victim, it's a life sentence

“Five years doesn't seem very long a sentence to make up for taking someone else's life. After all, that person is gone forever, not just relocated to the underworld for a few years. Ten months is a bad joke”.

So why is it that the victim and the one now paying the ultimate price in this scenario, seems to be the furthest from people's minds when discussing the ruling.

OP is even starting to be framed as the new 'victim' - with a life ruined by the experience.

Articles discuss his future - a future Reeva was robbed of - and even speculate about when he'll next race.

(I wish I could have quoted the entire article. It's really good)

https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blog...-killed--let-s-not-forget-that-122418295.html

Indeed a very good read, thanks.

Apologize if posted already. From the Guardian, hitting in the same direction in a broader context.

"There are several ways to “disappear” women. One is to shoot them in the head and cry about the bloody aftermath. Another is not to mention their names while writing about such a shooting. There is no moral equivalence here; I am merely noting that it is possible to talk about the killing of Reeva Steenkamp without bothering to mention her..."

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...steenkamp-killing-has-sidelined-male-violence

OP’s agent, Peet van Zy,l says he's seeking a meeting with him in prison in the next few days to discuss his running future. South Africa's Olympic committee says OP is ineligible to compete for five years.

He said that lawyers will meet with OP in prison on Friday, after which it will become clearer when Van Zyl and OP’s track coach, Ampie Louw, can talk to him about his career.

The only thing Peet and Ampie can tell him about his career is that it’s over, finito.

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/10/23/5431610_pistorius-agent-to-have-prison.html?rh=1

Makes me sick and VERY angry :mad:

The speed in which his manager and coach lay their hands on him - solely to get their OWN careers starting again asap, using OP as their 'vehicle'. It's disgusting. FGS - how can they ever pretend to care about him ???

No matter how one may feel about OP, I think right now he has a myriade of other things to be concerned about. It's really weird for me to write this down - but I feel pity for him now.

Lawyers, eh? Maybe he wants to take the Paralympics committee to court to challenge his ban. :)

The speed in which his manager and coach lay their hands on him - solely to get their OWN careers starting again asap, using OP as their 'vehicle'. It's disgusting. FGS - how can they ever pretend to care about him ???

No matter how one may feel about OP, I think right now he has a myriade of other things to be concerned about. It's really weird for me to write this down - but I feel pity for him now.

Oscar is already past his prime. Add 5 years and he's just another washed up athlete.

Sorry, I am unable to quote from the previous thread that is closed, but someone asked about Roux being English and Nel and Oldwage being Afrikaans as their first language. It is actually the following: Roux and Nel are Afrikaans, and Oldwage is English. Their surnames are indications, but I've also heard them whisper in Afrikaans during the trial. I can also tell from their respective accents.

Hope this helps!

They're all as bad as each other, quite honestly :-/

The NPA, however, has indicated that it has an "appetite" to appeal. "We have always stated first and foremost that we were disappointed with the conviction," NPA spokesman Nathi Mncube told reporters.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news...nced-to-five-by-judge-masipa-today-watch-live

Officials described Pistorius as tense and nervous when he was fingerprinted upon his arrival. Prison commissioner Zebilon Monama told the South African Press Association that the jail’s chaplain and psychologist met with Pistorius, as he tried to adjust to his new surroundings. He underwent a medical examination before going into his cell.

http://www.ibtimes.com/oscar-pistor...y-jail-serving-5-year-prison-sentence-1710525

Asked if she believed the athlete's account that he shot Steenkamp through a locked toilet door under the mistaken belief that she was an intruder, June Steenkamp expressed skepticism.
"No -- there's more to the whole story than everybody knows, only Oscar knows," she said.

There, he will have undergone a health risk assessment within six hours of arrival, Morwane said. Within 21 days, a comprehensive assessment of his needs will be done.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/world/africa/south-africa-pistorius/

Oscar Pistorius was heard weeping inconsolably during his first night in prison.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2014/10/23/broken-oscar-sobs-himself-to-sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10