"Butt-ugly" art defacing national parks? A broken mirror held up to Nature.

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Or maybe an iron lung held up to Nature. Something. Jeesh

Terrible Human Defaces National Parks With Ugly Drawings (Gawker)

Nature is so beautiful. So is art. It might seem right to combine the two, if you are stupid. That is what a woman named Casey Nocket has been doing on her grand hiking tour across America.

There are a few problems, however. Nocket's art is butt-ugly, and it is also permanent, drawn on Mother Earth with acrylic paint. It is making lovers of nature, and, we assume, nature itself, very angry.
---

more, with pictures, at the links

"Art" in the Parks (Modern Hiker)

---
[....] what Ms. Nocket is doing will not only get her some likes on Instagram, but will most likely result in a few felony vandalism charges once the Park Service catches up with her. And since, like most modern park vandals, she left a rich social media trail, it will likely only be a matter of time before that happens.
---

---

Suit the action to the word, the word to the action, with this special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of nature: for any thing so o'erdone is from the purpose of playing, whose end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold as 'twere the mirror up to nature: to show virtue her feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure. (Hamlet III:ii 17-24)

Oh my god that's awful. And she's SO full of herself. Saying ""If banksy did it u'd have a hardon, [sic]" .... Uhm, no. Banksy is overrated and also full of himself, but you're no Banksy lol.

"Butt-ugly" seems rather harsh, considering the example provided. To me, that isn't the issue.

Whether we should preserve wilderness in as natural a state as possible IS the point. I live in a town with an amazing art museum for a small town and a high number of art galleries. (Artists like the light here in the desert.) It's also an area known for its natural beauty (two 11,000' peaks plus vast expanses of sand and rock)!

Although there is some statuary and architecture at the entrances of parks, in general I see no reason why art and nature have to be intertwined. Nor how doing so improves either.

OPINION Internet posse on the heels of national parks 'art' vandal (LA Times)

---
These atrocious acts of criminal self-indulgence first came to light through postings on Instagram by someone calling herself Creepytings which included photos of the paintings, with a "Creepytings" signature. A couple of blogs catering to hikers picked up on it, linked the Creepytings Instagram account to someone named Casey Nockett, and launched an Internet firestorm that now includes a petition at the White House to have Nockett prosecuted.
---

Art vandalism in Yosemite, other parks prompts investigation (LA Times)

I hope she is caught, fined, does jail time and is forced to clean up her horrible art at her own expense.

I recall a woman knitting cozies to cover underwater ocean art in Mexico.She was fined by the govt. because she damaged some of the statues.What is it with artists and this kind of attitude?

Butt Ugly or Beautiful Beyond Compare, The point of national parks is to preserve the art that is nature as much as possible for the widest possible interested audience. Um, no, freestyle art expression not welcome, thank you for playing.

Of course, in fairness, we should note that most federal land is rented out to agricultural and mining concerns that do little to preserve the natural beauty. And the GOP wants to remove even the few restrictions that remain.

I'd rather see this lady's paintings in my national park than fracking towers and strip mining.

In answer to cuffem's question, for centuries art (except for the occasional, plain crucifix) was something the rich bought and hung on their own walls.

Beginning a little more than a century ago, Modernists began calling for a more democratic art that is available to all classes of people and doesn't require a small fortune to acquire. The first response was public art museums, of course, but artists have been search for ways to get their art to a wider audience--even to people who think they don't like art.

Alas, today, with our free (or nearly free) museums, and public installations, arts remain largely controlled by the very rich who can donate art, commission installations and sit on the boards of museums.

Whether most of us (any of us?) LIKE her art is a problem that has plagued efforts to widen the audience. Art appreciation is subjective and highly dependent on education; it is very difficult to get the "masses" to reach a consensus on what sort of art is preferred.

A good Modernist, however, would say the argument is more important than the actual painting or statue.

I'd rather see this lady's paintings in my national park than fracking towers and strip mining.
Me too, if those are the only two options, but I've seen some national parks that have neither mining and fracking nor controversial graffitis.

Wasn't aware we had to chose the lesser of two evils. I am completely against some of the uses the government has allowed with our national parks, fracking among them.

Me too, if those are the only two options, but I've seen some national parks that have neither mining and fracking nor controversial graffitis.

I never said there were only two options (or three, the third being leave the parks alone). I just think it's fair to note that what this artist is doing is mild compared to what we are allowing in many parks. But you watch: this "tagger" will get all the attention from the press and all the outrage from the public.

I've done it again, wfgodot. Started another thread for the same subject as you. :(

But anyhow, glad it's here. And I think, it's art best shared with family and others who love the artist very much, myself....

Here is the post I made on the other thread, With the artwork.

An artist whose 'project' has been to go around painting rocks in national parks has been driven off Instagram by the reception her work has received. So far, she's painted rocks in
Oregon's Crater Lake, Yosemite National Park, Canyonlands, Zion and Joshua Tree National Park.

New Yorker Casey Nocket was sharing her artistic efforts with the world as she hiked around until she realized the world didn't seem to like them much - and national park authorities wanted to talk to her. She is said to be co-operating. The large paintings were worked with acrylic, so aren't likely to wash off anytime soon.

http://koin.com/2014/10/28/oregon-hiker-becomes-instagrams-most-hated/

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 26
i cant imagine anyone honestly supporting this but im sure there are some... the parks already suffer enough from small scale graffiti and defacement, being passive about this would be a very bad precedent. if you support it for one then you support it for all...

it seems some people are claiming fracking is being done in national parks? links? ty

Art doesn't have to damage nature; it can work with it. The Eden Project in Cornwall, England, has had some wonderful examples. here's the latest:

http://www.edenproject.com/blog/ind...led-bee-sculture-who-has-just-landed-at-eden/

Absolutely, zweibel. I hope I didn't seem to argue otherwise.

But part of the point--I suspect since I don't know the artist in question here--is to place art where all classes of people are looking so that it will be seen by people who would never visit a museum or a gallery. For the same reason some other artists perform in the street playing music or performing plays.

My point is not to say this woman is NOT a narcissist; I don't know. My point was only that there are historical arguments in support of what she does. What is the Egyptian Sphinx but a huge carving of an existing piece of limestone?

i cant imagine anyone honestly supporting this but im sure there are some... the parks already suffer enough from small scale graffiti and defacement, being passive about this would be a very bad precedent. if you support it for one then you support it for all...

it seems some people are claiming fracking is being done in national parks? links? ty

http://www.npca.org/about-us/center-for-park-research/fracking/

From my brief reading, it appears the fracking is going on just outside part boundaries, but that means the towers are visible from the parks themselves and the water tables beneath the parks are affected--even if the process doesn't cause earthquakes. And that's just for now. Wait until the GOP controls the Senate and (God forbid) the presidency!

"As of October 29th, Casey Nocket has officially been NAMED AS A SUSPECT of vandalism in 8 National Parks. From the press release the NPS put out, the graffiti in Rocky Mountain National Park was removed in late September, while an unknown person or persons removed the image in Yosemite National Park. The image in Crater Lake is currently covered in ice and snow and will most likely not be able to be removed until next year at the earliest."

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/

This woman is a criminal and her "art" is of dubious quality. I think it is rather ugly and don't see any beauty or talent there. She certainly has a lot of nerve to deface public property like that and to boldly post it and expect that people would approve of it. I just don't understand the mindset of people like that. I hope she is charged and has to pay massive fines and also do hundreds of hours of community service scrubbing portapotties and cleaning up after others in public parks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back