Luka Magotta AKA Eric Newman Trial, Week beginning Oct 27, 2014 - Trial Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here when the trial resumes on Monday, Oct. 27, 2014.

Thanks,

Salem

Alert this post Sunday night/Monday morning and I will come and unlock the thread.

:seeya:
Are we finally gonna be getting some insight into Magnottas 'mental issues' this week :waiting:

Are we finally gonna be getting some insight into Magnottas 'mental issues' this week :waiting:

I think the prosecution should be finished this week so maybe?

Quoting Kamille from previous thread (SBM):
Is there any indication that LM was using Skype? That seems like just his thing but I don't think his old laptop may have been equipped with a camera. I'll bet his new one did though, which may have opened up a whole new world for him. And he only got that one in February right?

I did a "Skype directory" search for the email address he used to contact Romeo Salta. According to the search, there are THREE Skype accounts registered to this one email address:

image.jpg

It's worth noting that the search doesn't bring up results for similar email addresses, it will only look for the one you're searching.

ETA: Just found out that it is possible to create a Skype account using someone else's email address. Not sure how or why you would do this, but also worth noting.
I read about it here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Secur...eone-else-using-my-email-address/td-p/1163362

So the above names MAY simply be a case of someone who has entered the wrong email address when registering their account.

The defence case beings on Friday, according to the media.

In the reported list of prosecution witnesses I noticed that there is no mental health expert appearing as a prosecution witness. I found this very strange, as from what I've read these kinds of cases usually boil down to a "battle of the experts". But I wondered if it would be possible for LM to refuse to allow a crown-appointed psychiatrist to examine him? He never requested a mental evaluation when in prison. But even so, it seems like the prosecution would be able to find at least one doctor who has seen LM in the past tko testify that he knew what he was doing, or even an expert witness who had not met LM to testify that the kind of involved planning and preparations he did before the murder is inconsistent with a schizophrenic who is NCR.

I'm hoping that the media reports of the prosecution witnesses are wrong, and the prosecution WILL call an expert witness. Otherwise it seems to me that this will seriously weaken their case.

The defence case beings on Friday, according to the media.

In the reported list of prosecution witnesses I noticed that there is no mental health expert appearing as a prosecution witness. I found this very strange, as from what I've read these kinds of cases usually boil down to a "battle of the experts". But I wondered if it would be possible for LM to refuse to allow a crown-appointed psychiatrist to examine him? He never requested a mental evaluation when in prison. But even so, it seems like the prosecution would be able to find at least one doctor who has seen LM in the past tko testify that he knew what he was doing, or even an expert witness who had not met LM to testify that the kind of involved planning and preparations he did before the murder is inconsistent with a schizophrenic who is NCR.

I'm hoping that the media reports of the prosecution witnesses are wrong, and the prosecution WILL call an expert witness. Otherwise it seems to me that this will seriously weaken their case.

I'm curious as to at what point the prosecution was aware of this defense of NCR? Did they have a chance to have an expert examine him, and do they have a legal right to?

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 12m12 minutes ago
Judge has arrived. #Magnotta trial begins shortly.

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 15m15 minutes ago
Legal matters discussed. #Magnotta

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 14m14 minutes ago
Week 5 of the #Magnotta trial about to get started. ICYMI: Prosecution might finish calling his witnesses on Tues/Wed of this week.

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 5m5 minutes ago
Legal matters aside. The jury will now be called in and get started. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 4m4 minutes ago
Discussion is over, getting the jury. #Magnotta

Jury has arrived. #Magnotta trial Day 18 starts now. #CJAD

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 3m3 minutes ago
WItness number 35 is Sylvie Bordelais, lawyer. #Magnotta

salimah shivji ‏@salimah_shivji · 4m4 minutes ago
#Magnotta trial resumes this morning with testimony from lawyer Sylvie Bordelais. She represented Karla Homolka. #cbcmtl

Link with Renee Bordelais? My mother. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 2m2 minutes ago
Renée Bordelais is her mother - remember her name and address appeared on one of #Magnotta's packages

Rennee Bordelais return name and address on package sent to Liberal Party fo Canada. #Magnotta

Witness says doesn't recognize handwriting on package. #Magnotta

Witness says mom was in Caribbean in May 2012. #Magnotta

Do you have brother Thierry? Yes. #Magnotta

WItness says mom has health problems. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 3m3 minutes ago
Sylvie Bordelais has a brother named Thierry. #Magnotta

Crown done. Defence has no questions. Witness is done. #Magnotta

Leclair has not questions for this witness. Next up is Gilbert Desjardins, ballistics expert #Magnotta

What? Leclair didn't want to drag this LAWYER witness into a game of where's Karla?

So there is our answer as to which Bordelais relative Renee is. Karla's mother-in-law.

So, this was no random Bordelais. It was Karla's husband and lawyer's mother. This all but confirms that Magnotta was stalking Homolka, as far as I am concerned. He went through a lot of trouble to get her sister and mother-in-law's addresses. Perhaps he thought it was Karla's home? Did he see her enter? His long-standing obsession with that woman says a lot about him...

@Kamille: I am surprised that neither the crown nor the defence brought her up. I bet that LAWYER was having NONE of that! It is unfortunate, though. I hope the jury remembers what LV said about her sister's husband, and makes that link. His Homolka/Trammel thing... he idolised KILLERS.

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 4m4 minutes ago
Next witness up is Gilbert Desjardins. He is a ballistics expert. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 5m5 minutes ago
Witness explaining his expertise about firearms and his training. #Magnotta

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 2m2 minutes ago
Desjardins was asked several questions from Prosecution about his expertise, education & # of times he's testified as an expert. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 1m1 minute ago
Desjardins is to weigh in about the marks on Lin Jun's bones and testify as to what made them #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 52s53 seconds ago
Desjardins is an expert in what marks tools make #Magnotta

Leclair asking withness if he knows Kathy Reichs, forensic anthropologist and writer of crime novels #Magnotta

Desjardins says he's worked on fewer than 10 cases involving marks on bones #Magnotta

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 39s40 seconds ago
Leclair is done questioning Desjardins and now Prosecution would like to swear him in as an expert in toll marks. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 54s54 seconds ago
Defence objects to witness's expertise on bones, says it's limited. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 41s42 seconds ago
Leclair questioning Desjardins capacity as expert because he can't remember how many times he's testified in court #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 45s45 seconds ago
"I find that his potential help to the jury is limited," Leclair says. Judge says he will allow him to testify as tool mark expert #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 55s56 seconds ago
Judge will allow witness to be qualified as tool mark expert. Jury must weigh evidence/opinion if persuasive enough. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 38s39 seconds ago
Witness asked to step into file Sept. 8, 2014. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 53s54 seconds ago
Desjardins' report is now being filed into evidence #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 2m2 minutes ago
Witness saw evidence between June 2012 and Sept. 2014. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 1m1 minute ago
Witness received bones from pathologist. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 45s45 seconds ago
Witness received 6 tools from police. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 41s42 seconds ago
Desjardins received bones and six tools. He washed bones to better see the marks #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 41s42 seconds ago
Witness analysed bones by microscope for any marks made by tools. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 47s47 seconds ago
Witness studied tools, along with marks on bones, to make a match. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 51s51 seconds ago
Witness says many marks made by knife. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 46s47 seconds ago
Can link tool with certain mark in general? Depending on marks on bones. #Magnotta

In this case, didn't see specific mark corresponding to specific tool. Superficial marks. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 45s46 seconds ago
Every tool has its own signature, he says. A steak knife, for example, will leave fine lines #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 31s31 seconds ago
He found two types of marks on bones. one was very superficial as if by an exacto knife, or knife #Magnotta

Witness says on spine, found big mark probably made by a saw-type tool. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 52s52 seconds ago
But on vertebrae found a much larger cut, made with back and forth motion, as if made with electric saw, witness says #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 32s32 seconds ago
Witness says he had a Mastercraft electric half moon blade saw during examination. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 48s48 seconds ago
Witness says he has one at home to cut moldings, gyprock. #Magnotta

Possible such a saw could have made such marks? Possible, or another saw, manual saw. #Magnotta

If you just put it against skin, it wouldn't cut cause skin would move, Desjardins says #Magnotta

Witness says marks could have been made by knife, fine marks on bones. #Magnotta

On tools, witness says screwdriver with star head, didn't notice marks matching this. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 58s59 seconds ago
On two knives, witness says could have been ones that made marks on bones, but no definitive match. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 44s44 seconds ago
Desjardins didn't find any marks on the bones corresponding with scissors or screw driver #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 47s47 seconds ago
On saw, witness says marks on bones can't be linked. #Magnotta

On hammer, witness says only had photo of skull. #Magnotta

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 20s20 seconds ago
Prosecution is finished with his questions. Defence is up now. #Magnotta

On hammer:witness says wanted to see if corresponding marks on skull w/ hammer but w/ photo, hard to tell so couldn't go further. #Magnotta

On saw: defence looking for it in box of evidence. #Magnotta

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 1m1 minute ago
Defence now pulling out the saw and showing it to the witness. #Magnotta

Witness says he had to adjust saw to make it work when he received it for examination. #Magnotta

Witness did have the spine in question. #Magnotta

Defence wants photos of spine. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 55s55 seconds ago
Showing photos of spine to court. #Magnotta

Witness asked to show where marks were found. #Magnotta

We're now looking at photo of blackened bit of Lin Jun's spine. #Magnotta

Witness says he cleaned the skin off the bone to find the marks. #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 46s47 seconds ago
Desjardins pointing out marks on it that could have been made with saw #Magnotta

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 26s27 seconds ago
Desjardins saying he can't see the marks on photos he's being shown, but says they are visible on photos he took himself #Magnotta

Desjardins took 25 photos. Leclair asks for morning break #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 52s52 seconds ago
Break.Defence wants to see witness's photos of examination. #Magnotta

So, this was no random Bordelais. It was Karla's husband and lawyer's mother. This all but confirms that Magnotta was stalking Homolka, as far as I am concerned. He went through a lot of trouble to get her sister and mother-in-law's addresses. Perhaps he thought it was Karla's home? Did he see her enter? His long-standing obsession with that woman says a lot about him...

@Kamille: I am surprised that neither the crown nor the defence brought her up. I bet that LAWYER was having NONE of that! It is unfortunate, though. I hope the jury remembers what LV said about her sister's husband, and makes that link. His Homolka/Trammel thing... he idolised KILLERS.

Yes he sure was stalking KH by the sounds of it. And who in the Karla stalking world knew her mother-in-law's name and address?

He did seem to be somewhat obsessed with those two female killers. One in real life and one in the movies. I wonder if he even made the distinction?

MOO

It could be a symptom of his schizophrenia. We'll have to wait and see from his psychiatrist - maybe he thought that this murder would impress KH, or that she was telling him to do it

Like John Hinkley Jr trying to assasinate Ronald Reagan to impress Jodi Foster. These delusions of love or relationships are known as erotomania..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotomania

Just a thought - it's a real shame he decided to murder some random innocent dude instead of going straight for KH! Yeah he'd still be a murderer but this wouldn't be nearly so tragic if she'd been his victim! JMO of course!

Just a thought - it's a real shame he decided to murder some random innocent dude instead of going straight for KH! Yeah he'd still be a murderer but this wouldn't be nearly so tragic if she'd been his victim! JMO of course!

I think you just put into words what a lot of people were thinking. JMO also...of course. ;)

We're back in #Magnotta. Leclair has no more questions for this witness. Next up is another European witness

I guess they didn't find the photos that the witness took? :waitasec:

suemontgomery ‏@MontgomerySue · 3m3 minutes ago
Jean-Christophe Robert testified June 25, 2014 and it was recorded. We're seeing that recording now. #Magnotta

Robert lives in northwest of Paris. Was in touch with #Magnotta on dating site.

Jean Christophe Robert met #Magnotta on Planet Romeo dating site in 2012.

Doesn't remember who initiated the contact, may have been me, he says. Communicated six or seven times #Magnotta

Witness had an account on the site under different name, not given name. No photo of himself. #Magnotta

Robert's profile name was Couledoux. COntacted #Magnotta 6, 7 times. Can't remember who started it.

They communicated in English about banal things, he says. #Magnotta said he planned to go to France to live

He was talking about tickets, passports and wanted to leave where he was, witness said #Magnotta

Says they had a telephone conversation. #Magnotta was coming to Paris. #Magnotta gave first name? Luke.

Robert says he can't remember #Magnotta's profile name. #Magnotta

They spoke briefly on the telephone, witness says. Pseudo #Magnotta used was canadian22

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 53s54 seconds ago
Witness says can't remember when phone call took place. Maybe end of May. #Magnotta

They had met through the site at the end of April- beginning of May 2012. Had intentions of moving to France. #Magnotta

Spoke at the end of May, 2012 witness said. #Magnotta said he was coming beginning of June

Exact date when #Magnotta was coming to Paris? June 4. according to police statement he recalls.

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 41s42 seconds ago
Witness says #Magnotta texted him when he arrived.

Robert received text from #Magnotta saying he was in Paris and wanted to see him. was surprised because it was earlier than planned, he says

Witness says they planned when to meet that day or the next day. #Magnotta

Did he say where he was staying? Not at first, but then he said he was staying in a hotel. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 54s54 seconds ago
Witness says they met at his place. #Magnotta

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 34s35 seconds ago
Witness told him to take the metro. #Magnotta arrived around 8:30, 9 pm. Stayed at his place until the next morning. Left around 8,8:30 am.

Steven Chmielash ‏@s_chmielash · 45s46 seconds ago
Witness said #Magnotta came to his place. And stayed until the next morning. Left at around 8-8:30 when witness left for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member