NY NY - Tammy Mahoney, 19, Oneida, 8 May 1981

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
bd84c240-c44f-4401-9b03-ce15ad0c5400_zps3cce9441.jpg

http://centralny.twcnews.com/conten...--witnesses-could-close-1981-cold-case-today/

Mahoney's boyfriend reported her missing three days after she didn't return home to her Lenox Avenue apartment. "From May of 1981 until September of 1981, we knew nothing. We had no solid lead, no nothing -- she was just vanished," Bailey said...

Bailey says it was a phone call from someone living on Oneida Indian Nation Territory that was the case's first big break. "Police, at that time, were told that Tammy Mahoney disappeared from there. That 'there' being the 32 acres on the West Road in Oneida," Bailey said.

Officers talked to Oneida Nation residents who told them they were at a party on the territory on May 8. They developed information that led them to believe Tammy was taken there by men who picked her up, then raped and murdered her on Oneida territory that night.

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/gener...-to-bring-tammy-mahoneys-murderers-to-justice

Over the years, authorities have also searched for a car believed to be the one in which she rode to a party on the Oneida Nation Territory. In 2004, the Federal Bureau of Investigation dug up a filled-in pond near Union Street off of State Route 46 looking for evidence.

In 2009, Bailey told the Oneida Daily Dispatch authorities no longer needed to find the "phantom car" because they know what kind of car it was and who was driving. Police say they know she was raped and murdered that evening, but have never been able to locate her body.

According to reports, on the evening of Friday, May 8, 1981, Mahoney was picked up while hitchhiking in the City of Oneida near the intersection of Main Street and Fairview Avenue. She had been trying to get a ride to Hamilton, but she was taken to a party on the Oneida Nation's 32-acre territory on State Route 46.

Justice for Tammy: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Tammy-Mahoney/1516278771947064

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mahoney_tammy.html

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/general-news/20141031/new-leads-in-1981-tammy-mahoney-case

Police have long said they know she was raped and murdered that evening, but have never been able to locate her body. At one point, local, state and federal law enforcement officers conducted a dig at a location on state Route 46 to look for clues in the case.

For years police have said that as they get close to the truth, sources clam up and go silent.

Many people claim to have knowledge of the incident, but will only speak anonymously. Further, not all their stories line up.

Some say she was buried on the Oneida Nation Territory; others say she’s on the Onondaga Nation Territory near Syracuse, or somewhere in between near a pile of rocks next to a large tree.

Several sources say that Mahoney was hit in the head with a rock by her attackers.

Who was involved varies, based on who’s telling the story; some say that there was a young teenager somehow involved in the crime.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/cold-case-spotlight/cold-case-spotlight-tammy-mahoney-n258526

Tammy was attending Morrisville State College where friends say she wanted to become a veterinarian during the time of her disappearance. Officials believe she was on her way to a friend's house in Hamilton, New York when she hitchhiked a ride between 5:00pm and 7:00pm 33 years ago. Officials said whoever picked up Mahoney may have instead taken her to a party on the Oneida Indian Territory...

There has been much speculation regarding the events the night Mahoney vanished. According to the Oneida Daily Dispatch, some people have told police she is buried on the Oneida Nation Territory, while others say she was last seen on the Onondaga Nation Territory near Syracuse. Still, others have claimed her body was hidden just off state Route 46.

Bumping for Tammy as today marks the anniversary of her disappearance. I was reading through the Facebook page for Tammy and it's clear that they have a good idea what happened to her. They just need more people to come forward but even after all this time, that's proving to be difficult. Nice video posted above, it's obvious that Tammy has a lot of family and friends that just want justice for her.

from your link
Tammy's sister Debbie asked us to share this poem she wrote about her sister's disappearance.

For Tammy

my darling Tammy,you disappeared,

My baby Tammy,

You've gone away,

I see your face most everyday.

I feel you shining from heaven above,

In the wind, I feel your love,

In drops of rain, I know your pain...

Snowflakes fall, where you lay,

Darling Tammy, we love you so,

Baby Tammy, where did you go?

You rest with God, that's all I know....

Now that missing and murdered women have become more prominent in the media, maybe someone in the community will step forward and help locate Tammy's remains.
If there is any truth to what may have happened to Tammy, somebody is keeping a very dark and ugly, soul-destroying secret.
Time to speak up, that poor girl needs a decent burial and her family and friends deserve to have her back home now.
Enough is enough, imo.

Now that missing and murdered women have become more prominent in the media, maybe someone in the community will step forward and help locate Tammy's remains.
If there is any truth to what may have happened to Tammy, somebody is keeping a very dark and ugly, soul-destroying secret.
Time to speak up, that poor girl needs a decent burial and her family and friends deserve to have her back home now.
Enough is enough, imo.

I totally agree! I was talking to her friend that runs her FB page. LE will not share anything that is in her file; so sounds like they're protecting someone

This story is from this past November.

Decades after Tammy Mahoney disappeared, group prepares to search for remains

With four locations in mind, Missing in America is attempting to work with local law enforcement to conduct digs where they believe the 19-year-old’s remains could be located.

Nancy Schaefer, co-founder of the group, said Mahoney’s family has given the 10-year-old organization permission to pursue the search.

“We want to recover her remains,” Schaefer said. “We want to bring her home. … It’s time.”

Missing in America co-founder Shawn Wallner said it’s unknown how long it would take for the group to get permission from the Oneida and Onondaga territories. She declined to reveal what information led them to consider any of the four possible dig locations.

“We’ve got one site where as long as we have the homeowner’s permission, we’re good to go,” Wallner said. “We’ve got one on Oneida Indian Nation territory and two on the Onondaga Nation. Those are all locations where law enforcement have to be present. … We will not step foot on their territory unless law enforcement is with us and gives us permission to get onto that property. Without that, the search won’t happen.”

Oneida Police are searching now. FBI and K9 assisting. Dear Lord, please let them find her!
Oneida Police are the lead agency, acting on a tip. New York State Police are assisting with K-9 units, and the FBI are also involved. - See more at: http://www.wktv.com/news/BREAKING_-...since_1981.html#sthash.E540jjRk.CZXfP94m.dpuf

Wow, this is big news, let's hope this tip pans out, but, if it does not- let the tips keep coming in!!
From link, the search area, thanks.

map3.JPG

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie