GUILTY KY - Lockport, Body parts in Kentucky River, Oct'14 - Goldia Massey

bflocket

Reaction score
Lockport is a small (tiny, tiny, tiny) town on the western side of the Kentucky River in Henry County, KY. Kentucky River Lock #2 is there, hence the town's name.
The closest major town would probably be Frankfort (our state's capital). I know of it mainly because some of my "ancestors" (great-great grandparents?) come from there.

The green star marks where Lockport is in relation to the bigger area cities.
lockport locator map.jpg

Friday (10/24/2014) afternoon, some people fishing near the lock found a severed arm on the riverbank.

It was in the area somewhere around "C" and "D" on this blow-up of Lockport.
lockport detail.JPG

The arm had apparently been in the river for a bit. It was decomposed enough that they couldn't tell the race. They "think" it is a woman's arm due to artificial fingernails.

(slightly off-topic)
My friend spent about a half-hour (maybe longer) berating me via text messages last night because I'd told him "They found a woman's arm in Lockport." He said that it could have been a drag queen or transsexual because they wear press-on nails, too. I just took it in stride because I'm used to him trying to start arguments so that there will be something to argue about.

I mean, really... WHO CARES if it was a man's arm, woman's arm or something in-between's arm?
It was a severed HUMAN ARM that washed up on the side bleep-ing river!

Not much has been said about this event because precious little is thus far known. The WLKY link has video, which shows where on the bank the arm was found.

Human arm discovered on Henry County riverbank (WLKY, Louisville, KY)

Kentucky State Police are investigating tonight after a group of fishermen made a morbid discovery along the banks of the Kentucky River.

Just before 3 p.m. on Friday, the fishermen discovered a human arm on the river banks

Crowe [local resident] believes, based on what appears to be acrylic nails, the arm belongs to a woman. He said the limb, from the shoulder to the fingers, is bruised and bloated.

Human Arm Found On River Bank In Henry County (WTVQ, Lexington, KY)

Troopers said the arm was found in Lockport. Dispatchers there got the call before three Friday afternoon that the arm had been found. Troopers and officers with Fish and Wildlife responded.

Human arm found on river bank in Henry County (WKYT, Lexington, KY)

...police say no other human remains were found.

At this point, police aren't sure where the arm came from.

Norma Brown went missing less than 1 1/2 hours away exactly one month ago. She was last seen entering an unknown man's car.

ETA: She should be fairly easy to rule in or out, since she had tattoos on both arms.

Norma Brown went missing less than 1 1/2 hours away exactly one month ago. She was last seen entering an unknown man's car.

ETA: She should be fairly easy to rule in or out, since she had tattoos on both arms.

It is not in it or bordering it, but the upper reaches of the Kentucky River "aren't far" from Montgomery County. It would be fairly easily accessible from there, though.
There are several locks between that area and Lockport. I don't know how long each of them would have "held up" the arm's journey or if they would at all.

unfortunately, I doubt she'd be easy to rule out based on the tattoos on her arms because of the state of decomposition of the arm.

They found an arm in the Ohio River a little downstream from where the arm was found. They don't think they're related, though. They've been finding a lot of "parts" around here lately. They just found some partial remains in Lexington.

Foot found in Ohio River in Carroll County (WKYT, Lexington, KY)

Just one day after a severed arm washed up on the banks of the Kentucky River police in a neighboring county say a foot washed up from the Ohio River.

The arm was found in Henry County and the foot in Carroll County, but detectives don't believe the two cases are related because there was flesh on the arm but not on the foot.

Now that there are two potential victims in the river, take another look at this.
Norma Joe Brown's disappearance may be related to another missing man.
OH OH - Randy Russ (U. of Cincinnati Professor), Cincinnati, 17 August 2014
They are aware of these two discoveries in Norma's thread.
KY - Norma Joe Brown, 33, Salt Lick, 2 October 2014

This story is a little old, but it confirms that the arm (in Lockport in the Kentucky River) is female.

I haven't heard any more about the foot in the Ohio River (regarding sex/race/age/etc). That would be the piece that could possibly be Randy Russ'.

Human arm discovered on riverbank determined to be female (WHAS-11 ABC, Louisville, KY)

On Saturday, the coroner's office announced that it had determined the arm to have belonged to a female.

Henry County Coroner Jimmy Pollard said it's impossible right now to identify the race of the arm, but that it may have been in the river and at that location on the riverbank for 3 weeks.

This one has a video and discusses both parts being found.

Arm, foot found along Kentucky waterfronts one day apart (Fox41, Louisville, KY)

On Friday, an arm was found on the banks of the Kentucky River in Henry County. According to police, a group of men was gathering firewood when they discovered the arm.

A day later, a foot was discovered along the Ohio River in Carrollton. Police say a riverside resident was cleaning up the shore in front of his house when he found a Nike tennis shoe with a sock and foot still inside.

I can't get over the guy saying it's the time of year for Halloween pranks!
Most people that pull pranks like that don't have access to real body parts, to the best of my knowledge. Or I sure hope they wouldn't.

It is not in it or bordering it, but the upper reaches of the Kentucky River "aren't far" from Montgomery County. It would be fairly easily accessible from there, though.
There are several locks between that area and Lockport. I don't know how long each of them would have "held up" the arm's journey or if they would at all.

I don't know where I got "Montgomery County" from or why!!!
The place she's missing from (Salt Lick, KY) is in Bath County along the Licking River!

That makes me doubt that the arm belongs to Brown now.

There's apparently a corpse to be hopefully identified sometime soon found around Hillsboro. Those are likely RR's remains. I have been trying to read through their threads right now.

I just wanted to say that I doubt the arm is Brown's now. Both rivers flow to the Ohio but many miles apart. And this arm would have had to have floated downstream from where it entered the water (i.e. Kentucky River watershed). There's no way it could have floated UP the Kentucky River all the way to Lockport from the Ohio River.

But that doesn't mean that the foot in Carrollton isn't hers (Or RR's), but it looked like a "guy shoe" to me.

And I kinda know Hillsboro, too. Friend grew up just a few miles from there and a few of us went to his family's place up the road from there.

This one has a video and discusses both parts being found.

Arm, foot found along Kentucky waterfronts one day apart (Fox41, Louisville, KY).

I just saw this story about a missing man from Carrollton.
I don't know if the cops just got some kind of lead or gave up on getting any. He's been missing since September 2014 but just started making the rounds on the news. There are stories about him on several area news outlets today. None of them state what he was (or "could have been") wearing, but give his height/weight/tattoos/etc.

Carrollton Police looking for missing 41-year-old man (Fox41, Louisville, KY)
Ray Collier Jr. was last seen on Sept. 25 in the Carrollton area.

He is described as a 6'2" white male, 210 pounds, with short brown hair, green eyes, glasses or contacts, mustache and a possible goatee.

Search underway for missing Carrollton man (WLKY, Louisville, KY)
Police say the family of Ray Collier Jr. reported him missing after not hearing from him for days, which they say is very unusual.

According to police, Collier would check in with his mother and sister at least every other day but neither of them have heard from him since Sept. 25.
Police say they have also checked his phone and financial records and there has been no movement since he was reported missing.

Collier weighs about 210 pounds and has brown hair and green eyes.

He has a tattoo of the name Amy surrounded by hearts on his abdomen, a Harley Davidson tattoo on his thigh and a barbed wire tattoo around his ankle.

**I just saw that a thread has already been started about this man...
KY - Ray Collier, 41, Carrollton, 25 September 2014

This could possibly related to the arm as none of the rest of the body was found. It isn't really that close to Lockport, but is upstream of there along the Kentucky River.

Jessamine officials find remains along Kentucky River (WKYT, Lexington, KY)
On Saturday, officials with the Jessamine County Sheriff's office, along with Jessamine County Coroner Michael Hughes, were called to the Kentucky River on Camp Daniel Boone Road where Fayette, Madison and Jessamine counties meet.

Camp Daniel Boone Rd is along the KY River near the Valley View Ferry (just above where "Madison" is labelled). This is a few counties south (upstream) from Lockport.
body found by river ferry.jpg

**I corrected a misspelling in the story. Since it wasn't long, I just copied/pasted that paragraph (most info). Would have corrected the later part if I'd posted it. It says "tentatively been identified as humans."

And I used to feel so safe in our State...........

And I used to feel so safe in our State...........

I've probably felt "unsafe" since 1987, when my little brother and his hair entered the world. That hair has been breaking health codes ever since.

It doesn't appear to be the same find. The arm was found in Henry County in October. The torso was found in Jessamine County two days ago.

I know that much. But this may (or may not) be the answer to where the rest of "her" is. I figured that if it's the same person, the arm could've floated down earlier. I haven't heard anything thing about what body parts there were (if any more than just the torso), the sex, race, estimated time of death or anything like that.

I just know that they found a dead person's arm a ways downstream that didn't have a body. If this is related, the arm could have floated down to Lockport (or all the way to the Gulf if it didn't get hung up on something).

Re: the torso

http://www.wtvq.com/story/d/story/h...g-kentucky-river/18491/r1XPjPfWYEWJeTRiKg0JBQ

The coroner said the gender and age are still unknown along with how long the body part had been in the water. The coroner believes it had been submerged for awhile.

“The body is not intact and there's simply not enough to give the information that we would need to determine those,” said Michael Hughes, Jessamine County Coroner...

“I don't think it's local because of the way the water was flowing, although there's no way to know that for certain either,” said Hughes, who added that water flows into the Kentucky River from the Ohio River and even farther north, so the torso could have been floating downstream for awhile and finally was noticed along the banks.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/12/08/3582796/human-torso-found-in-jessamine.html

"I would say it has been months, and that the remains had been in the water and just washed up on shore because of the rain we've had," he said. "It could have been in the water a long time and traveled downstream a long way. It's really hard to say at this point where the remains actually came from."

The torso was found Saturday along the riverbank off Camp Daniel Boone Road, near where Jessamine and Madison counties meet.

I need to get quicker on the draw. I was gonna put up that Herald Leader (kentucky.com) link, but Okie got to it first!

But here is a story that talks more about the guy that found the remains.

Human Torso Found Near Kentucky River (WLEX-18, Lexington, KY)
"It was horrible, yeah it really was," said George Hall. He has lived on the Kentucky River all his life, and thought he had seen everything.

"I never would have thought that would happen. I figured I would probably find dead people in the water, but not like that."

This body isn't his first morbid encounter. Hall said while fishing or walking the banks he's found three other bodies over the last 50 years. Still, finding only the torso of a body was a first.

"I walked right up on a body laying there," said Hall. "Checked closer and it was a body, with no head, no legs, no arms."
"We weren't even able to determine the sex of the body or the age. So it's a very difficult thing when you don't have the entire body there," said Coroner Michael Hughes.

This is a map of the Kentucky River watershed. I tried to mark where both of the places where parts were found are, but it doesn't work real good.
The arm in Lockport and the torso by the Valley View Ferry are both very close to locks/dams.
My blue stars aren't that easy to see, but the arm was found by "Dam 2" and the torso near "Dam 9."
I just saw that the only non-river access to lock/dam #9 is off of Camp Daniel Boone Rd.
Kentucky River map.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back