Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

Snoopster

Reaction score
It's too early to know what is truly going on, but a well respected radio host on CBC radio was fired shortly after his beloved father died. When the news broke, everyone was shocked. Jian immediately shot back with a lawsuit.

Of course, where there is smoke there is likely fire, and for the past several hours I have been waiting to see what came out (particularly since he hired a PR firm well known for salvaging reputations).

Now Jian has posted on his FB page that the cause was that he is into BDSM and a scorned former lover is on a campaign to destroy him. (I had feared that the news might be that it involved very young people, but so far, thankfully, that seems not to have been the case. Pheww.)

Here is Jian's very recent "tell all" FB post:
https://www.facebook.com/jianghomeshi/posts/10152357063881750

But with me bringing it to light, in the coming days you will prospectively hear about how I engage in all kinds of unsavoury aggressive acts in the bedroom. And the implication may be made that this happens non-consensually. And that will be a lie.

My question to my fellow WSers, presuming that what Jian has just posted on his FB page is true (but clearly it is only his side of the story and the actual story may be worse), should a celebrity employee be fired for what he does in his personal life IF it is consensual?

Waiting for more revelations, as I find it concerning that the CBC would fire one of their most respected hosts for a simple case of a loved one scorned, even if the undertext relates to less-than-popular SM sexual behaviour. Perhaps, and even likely, there is more to this story.

Normally I ignore all of this stuff, but I had really respected Jian's interview skills, so I am very disappointed.

Wow, after looking at the responses to his FB post I can't believe how pretty much everyone is supportive of him, without knowing all of the details. Everyone (women who are smitten with him?) is blindly saying how wronged he was. He may have been. He equally may not have been. They love him because they love what he does on the airwaves -- good looking, well-spoken, humble, intelligent. They think they know him.

The power of celebrity. :notgood:

I'm not comfortable making a judgment until police are involved. The accusers won't report it because they fear police will expose their names? There are privacy laws against that. Innocent until proven guilty.

I found this blog entry quite illuminating and balanced: http://sexgeek.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/poor-persecuted-pervert/
Disclaimer: I don't normally read this blog and don't know what the other entries are about. :)

I don't listen to his show, and haven't ever really wanted to. I find the "crazy ex-girlfriend" trope is unsettling; I find it hard to believe that he has not only one but several of them who got together and made up these allegations.

Whatever he did, some people think it makes him a really bad guy. I'm very curious about where this will go, and read a fair bit about it yesterday. Reading between the lines, and assuming that his letter to the world is a smoke screen, I think he cornered some rather young women (more than twenty years younger than his 47 years) and coerced them into agreeing to some kinky sex. I think he went too far and that he did not respect their wishes when they'd had enough. I think it's possible that he's going to use consensual S&M to explain what others may call rape (similar to what is implied in the blog linked above). I think he has a long history of being pushy with women and that, when cornered, he may eventually blame his actions on the death of his father (five months ago). I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to this story. It's probably true that his ex-girlfriend felt very abused and that she sought other women who had been similarly abused by him. He may be very manipulative, so the women may have been pushed into consenting when they were not at all on board with what he had in mind.

Thanks, WFG. I'm a fan of Ms. Wente's columns.

Thanks, WFG. I'm a fan of Ms. Wente's columns.

I think she's reading between the lines and seeing the same story I see: a man with a public profile who could attract young, ambitious women that were looking for a mentor, and he used that power to put them in the bedroom, violate their rights and dignity, humiliate them, abuse them, and then cast them aside as wounded, broken people that probably need a lot of counselling to become whole again. What he did may not be a prosecutable offence, but it is a form of psychological and physical abuse that should not be tolerated. Hopefully this will bring awareness to relationship abuse where there's a grey zone between willing participation, and manipulated, coerced, or forced, participation.

I looked up the term HATE-*advertiser censored** in the Urban Dictionary. He allegedly told an ex-CBC employee that he wanted to do this to her after grabbing her behind. This doesn't sound good at all. In fact it seems like another term for rape IMO. JMO

I looked up the term HATE-*advertiser censored** in the Urban Dictionary. He allegedly told an ex-CBC employee that he wanted to do this to her after grabbing her behind. This doesn't sound good at all. In fact it seems like another term for rape IMO. JMO

Without looking it up in the dictionary, I can only imagine that's what it must mean. It's an incredibly rude thing to say to a colleague at work. I suspect that the woman that heard it is somewhat fearful of a man that feels that way about her.

After a week of soldiers murdered for being soldiers, Jian Ghomeshi has the nerve to claim that he is a "good soldier". He is not a soldier. He is a man accused of sexually abusing women.

From his open letter posted on his facebook page: "I have always tried to be a good soldier and do a good job for my country."

https://www.facebook.com/jianghomeshi/posts/10152357063881750

"Over the past few months the Star has approached Ghomeshi with allegations from three young women, all about 20 years his junior, who say he was physically violent to them without their consent during sexual encounters or in the lead-up to sexual encounters."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/26/cbc_fires_jian_ghomeshi_over_sex_allegations.html

Now *that* would be something for the 'Crimes in the News' subforum rather than 'Celebrity and Entertainment News'.

ooops. A supposed friend of JG's has made a FB post that isn't exactly a stand-behind-my-friend kind of post. He doesn't seem to be buying JG's story.

I found the link to the post in the comments of this Gawker article:
http://gawker.com/jian-ghomeshi-a-guide-for-puzzled-americans-1651335935

There seems to be a lot of people on his fringes that are saying they aren't shocked.

I am mourning the loss of the image I had of JG. I will never forget his notorious interview with Billy Bob Thornton. A classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJWS6qyy7bw

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back