Australia - Adelaide couple accused of starving son in house of horrors neglect

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
October 28, 2014 2:46PM

A MOTHER posted images of lasagne and roast dinners on Facebook while her starving, dehydrated, four-year-old son was locked in a filth-filled bedroom just days away from death, a court has heard.

The mother 24, and husband, 28, have each pleaded guilty to endangering life over the incident which prosecutor Lucy Boord today called the one of the most “serious cases of neglect the court will ever see”.

She told the District Court today that the boy was found by chance after police responded to a call about domestic violence at the Gilles Plains home in October 2013.

http://www.news.com.au/national/ade...ors-neglect-case/story-fncynjr2-1227104863978

And to think, if the mum hadn't been assaulted this poor boy would be dead. :( It's just a disgusting case. Why are so many parents starving their children or punishing them with torture and neglect about FOOD!!!

Revolting. Only concern was herself, not her child. She is no mother.

Oh my god :( Horrific. I just can't understand people like this - why not have him taken into care if they didn't want him?? Look at all the toys the kid had - yet they wouldn't feed him??

Tue 28 Oct 2014, 6:30pm

The court heard the parents were on an alcohol and cannabis "bender" when they left their son locked in his bedroom for up to 12 days in October last year.

They used a series of cords and straps to tie the door to an adjoining door and occasionally slid yoghurt, custard or jelly under the door, but no water.

The boy's foster parents told the court through a statement the four-year-old could not walk properly, had speech and behavioural difficulties and whimpered and cried in his sleep.

Judge Paul Cuthbertson questioned why the agencies had not acted.

"So if they don't hear any more do these agencies just forget about it?" Judge Cuthbertson asked.

Mr Heffernan said he could not explain why there was no intervention.

Both lawyers said their clients would benefit from a lengthy period on supervised parole in the community.

Judge Cuthbertson will deliver his sentence in December

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-28/boy-starved-by-parents-was-days-away-from-death/5847244

Benefit from a lengthy rope, more like it.

I am so weary of hearing of these cases here... 'weary' is the right word, it drains the life out of me to think of children 'living' like this, while DOCS (FACS now..) sits on their bloody hands and watches them all suffer and/or die. Time and again.

I wish I had the health of my youth, right now. I would love nothing more than to stage a massive protest on the front lawn of Parliament house, demanding massive and immediate change to child welfare agencies, from the top down.

Poor baby... I hope he doesn't carry the scars of this, physical or mental, through the rest of his life.

OMG!! Another case :furious:

AN alcoholic mum whose son died trapped in rubbish in their putrid home developed an elaborate ruse to fool her working husband into believing he was attending school.

In the end the youngest, just five years old, cut his toe and died three days later in 2012.

A cause of death has never been identified, but doctors say it almost certainly was caused by living amongst the rubbish.

Detective Mark Gurthie, who investigated the matter, said in 26 years of policing he’d never seen anything like it.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s-were-at-school/story-e6freon6-1227106116004

The boy's mother died in hospital two weeks ago.

During a plea hearing today, the man's lawyer said her client was pulled into a downward spiral by his wife, who had depression and was an alcoholic.

When they were living in squalor, the father was able to maintain his job, on a $160,000 salary.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...-squalid-home-was-afraid-to-seek-help/5851338

^ from Jo's link above:

"The bottom line seems to be the claim that no-one did anything wrong ... rather than providing an identification of what went wrong.''

.... Just about sums up the official responses to every case of this ilk I've seen so far.

Thanks marly wings. This case to me marks the start of the worst child neglect/abuse in sa x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucius79
Back