'Rape culture' cited in high school T-shirt ban

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Texas school bans controversial T-shirt for possible rape message (San Antonio Express-News)

A North Texas school district has banned a controversial high school football team t-shirt with the phrases "Shhhhhhh just let it happen" and "We take what we want" after the school newspaper questioned whether the slogan conveyed an innuendo condoning rape.

The Arlington Independent School District banned the shirt, which was designed by senior members of Arlington Martin High School's football team and printed by the football booster club
---
(more at link above, with pictures)

I don't think Rape culture had to do with the ban so much as it had to do with why any person would think it's okay to make these shirts at all.

I have noticed that there seems to be a culture of young men thinking it is ok to rape.They have no problem with voicing this on the internet,making videos,posting pictures,or in music.What lead to this acceptance?How is this being taught that this is ok?I know rapes happened back when I was younger but boys/young men did not go around celebrating rape.This has to change.Females are at such a risk from so many things and I fear for our future.

I have noticed that there seems to be a culture of young men thinking it is ok to rape.They have no problem with voicing this on the internet,making videos,posting pictures,or in music.What lead to this acceptance?How is this being taught that this is ok?I know rapes happened back when I was younger but boys/young men did not go around celebrating rape.This has to change.Females are at such a risk from so many things and I fear for our future.

I think rape was defined much more narrowly when we were young. Young men certainly celebrated and bragged about "scoring" and similar euphemisms. The difference was that acquaintance coercion wasn't called "rape" back then.

Very true. And to be honest, I think they would have gotten away with these shirts way back when I was there! Things are so different from even a decade ago.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back