NPR Car Talk co-host Tom Magliozzi dead at 77

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
'Car Talk' co-host Tom Magliozzi has died

Tom Magliozzi, co-host of the popular and very funny NPR show Car Talk died on Monday of complications from Alzheimer's disease, NPR reports. He was 77 years old.

He and his brother Ray became famous as "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers."
---
"His laugh is the working definition of infectious laughter," says Doug Berman, the longtime producer of Car Talk.
---

more at the links

---
“We can be happy that he lived the life he wanted to live; goofing off a lot, talking to you guys every week, and primarily, laughing his *advertiser censored* off,” Ray Magliozzi said.
---
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-tom-magliozzi-car-talk-dies-20141103-story.html

.........................................................^^^
Car Talk Executive Producer Doug Berman, in a statement posted on NPR's website, said Magliozzi's 'dominant, positive personality' will be missed. 'He and his brother changed public broadcasting forever,' he said. 'Before Car Talk, NPR was formal, polite, cautious..even stiff.'

[video=youtube;5g_Zw7jqnNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_Zw7jqnNw[/video]

I had never heard of this program, but listened to the video above, and I have to say, I laughed and laughed until the tears came. Mr. Magliozzi had a wonderful laugh, and his cohort is quite the 'snorter'! Thanks for the rush of endorphins!

---
Public radio host Tom Magliozzi, who co-hosted NPR’s popular “Car Talk” program, died Monday morning.
---
“Whoever said ‘Never meet your heroes’ never met Tom Magliozzi,” said Craig Fitzgerald president of the New England Motor Press Association in a statement. “He was one of the kindest, most welcoming, unpretentious people I ever met.”

On a more personal note, Fitzgerald told Boston.com that he and his father were huge fans of Magliozzi’s radio show, which he first tuned into at age 11 or 12.

“Listening to it at that time was like being the first guy to know about ‘Saturday Night Live,’ said Fitzgerald. “It was awesome.”
---

http://www.boston.com/cars/news-and...m-magliozzi/OeHHswu9lBAFmzukLelK7O/story.html

‘Don’t Drive Like My Brother’: Tom Magliozzi’s Biggest Hits (boston.com)

---
In 1999, the brothers delivered the commencement address at MIT. Their memorable speech—which ran twice as long as scheduled—was chock full of the brand of “Click and Clack” humor their listeners had come to know and love:

Ray: “Now, my brother and I, L. Ron Magliozzi, are going to help you to achieve nirvana. We’re going to help you to become not smarter. Smarter is no good. That’s the wrong direction. You have spent the last four, five, or six years of your life working on the wrong direction. You are sliding down, as Tom Lehrer says, sliding down the razor blade of life. You are sliding down the happiness curve. You must stop this from happening and you must go in the other direction and we are here to help you. And, as you know, there is a process for reaching nirvana and we are going to give it to you now. It is this: You must repeat the mantra. And the mantra, which happens to be emblazoned on our flag, which stands here—none of you morons will be able to read it because it’s in Latin.

“It says: Non impediti ratione cogitatonis.”

Tom: “Which, of course, means: Unencumbered by the thought process.”

I love that show and I don't know a thing about cars or engines. Anytime I came across it- I listened, and laughed and laughed and laughed!

Mr. Magliozzi will truly be missed.
I've spent many hours, laughing and learning, while listening to him interact with his brother over the years on the air.

As a girl Motörhead, I appreciated everything about Car Talk. Growing up listening to NPR on KQED, Car Talk was a fixture in our household, and I cherished the moments I had listening to them with my Father before he passed. I still listen to them now, as NPR rebroadcasts their shows. :heartluv:

He gave me a love of all things motor (two and four wheeled), and those memories are forever intertwined.

I can just imagine him looking down on us, his incredible laughter echoing from the heavens. I wish his brother strength, during this difficult time.

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw an actual Dodge Dartre at the thrift store last night and thought of the guys.

Lydia Magliozzi Icke, who wrote a poem commemorating her life with her dad. Before she began she offered us this explanation:

I should tell you before I begin that my father and I shared a long history of limerick writing together, going back to sixth grade when we penned one about a witch making a stew out of a kangaroo that hopped to Kalamazoo… you get the idea. So I thought it was only fitting that my words today be a limerick of sorts. And while I may not have achieved the iambic pentameter Dad would have admired, I’d like to share this with you.

And it's here, lovingly, funnily, done: http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/guest-bloggers/lydias-eulogy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back