CA CA - Butte Co., NtvMale UP12999, 25-40, burned, near Ord Ferry Bridge, Aug'82

Migmuu

Reaction score
UP#12999

This UID was just added to NamUs less than two weeks ago. I don't know why, but sometimes I'll see a NamUs profile and something in my gut tells me it can be solved, and I get that feeling with this guy.

DEMOGRAPHICS

Race: Native American
Sex: Male
Height: 72 inches (6 ft)
Body conditions: Charred/burned
Postmortem interval: Months. Probable years of death are 1981 and 1982

CIRCUMSTANCES

Date: August 23, 1982
Body found in a wooded area south of the Ord Ferry Bridge. [I'm guessing it's a homicide due to the charring + being found in a wooded area.]

CLOTHING

Blue jeans and a t-shirt (color unknown due to charring)

IDENTIFIERS

No identifiers (fingerprints, dentals, DNA) are available.

I can't find any Native American men who went missing in the immediate area, but I do have two PMs so far.

1. Charles Fabian

• Age (27) is within range
  • Height (6'2) is within 2 inches
  • Timing looks reasonable even though he disappeared 1 year and 5 days before the UID was found; there's nothing to indicate he died on that day
  • Distance (13.3) miles is perfectly reasonable
  • Circumstances don't seem to rule him out

Fabian had two tattoos, but the body was charred/burned and had been there for months, so it's possible that they wouldn't have been visible because of the damage and decomposition.
The biggest problem is that the UID is listed as Native American while Fabian was white.

2. Timothy Thompson

• Age (39) is within range
  • Race (Native American) matches
  • Timing (4 months and 1 week between disappearance and UID's discovery) checks out
  • Circumstances line up. Thompson often hitchhiked between Wisconsin and California. In this case, I don't think distance is a big issue since he was obviously capable of hitchhiking long distances.

The only issue is that he's listed as being 5 inches shorter than the UID. But after the Margaret Walden case (where there was an EIGHT-INCH height discrepancy), I don't put as much stock in height as I used to.

I wonder how certain they are about the descendent's height? I was able to find a few Native American men who had escaped from the Washington State Department of Corrections (http://www.doc.wa.gov/MostWanted/Offenders.aspx) prior to NamUs UP # 12999 (Gabriel Billy http://www.doc.wa.gov/MostWanted/Offender.aspx?DocNum=262791&Name=BILLY,%20Gabriel%20Joseph, Larry Blackplume http://www.doc.wa.gov/MostWanted/Offender.aspx?DocNum=244808&Name=BLACKPLUME,%20Larry, and Rodney George (yet I think too much time elapsed between when Mr. George escaped in 1974 and when the unidentified man was found) http://www.doc.wa.gov/MostWanted/Offender.aspx?DocNum=126339&Name=GEORGE,%20Rodney%20Wayne).

Originally, I was surprised to see no rule outs on this John Doe. However, I realized that he doesn't have DNA, dental, or fingerprints in the system.

Today (Sunday the 28th) is the 34th anniversary of his death, so I'm kind of surprised they don't have anything (especially since murder case, though I know times were different 34 years ago). Hopefully, he can get his name back soon. :rose::rose:

NamUs UP12999

Date Body Found: August 28, 1982
Location Found: Butte County, California
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Charred/burned
Estimated Year of Death: 1981-1982
Estimated PMI: Months
Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: American Indian / Alaska Native
Estimated Age: Adult - Pre 40; 25-40
Estimated Height: 6'0" (72 inches)
Weight: Cannot estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown

Clothing and Accessories (near the body): Items that might have been in a burned wallet. One burned article had "Texas Parks and Wildlife" which may have been from a magazine. Another burned item had "Bank of Alex Brown, Rio Vista Branch with a partial number, possibly an acct. number of 90-683/. A third burned item had "LL-S Auto with lettering before the LL-S. A fourth item had the wording "Hayes, May 2, 1980".

Clothing and Accessories (on the body): Materials found were consistent with Blue Jeans (Possibly Levis) and a burned T-Shirt.

0 Missing Person Exclusions

From what I can gather the Rio Vista branch of the Bank of Alex Brown opened September 12, 1980. The bank had locations mainly in the Central Valley. It mainly dealt with commercial and "agri-business." It merged with another company banking company in 1997.

There's a facebook group with former bank workers where you can see the opening date for the Rio Vista branch at the CA state fair.

The address was 133 Main Street, Rio Vista, CA. The location now is a Mexican restaurant.

1679520072446.png

Going off that, I think this UP could be Herbert Tso Nelson (MP40366). He's Native American and was 26 when he disappeared. He stood at 5'8-5'10" and 180 lbs, so close in age and height. He was reportedly last seen in Dixon, CA on January 1, 1979, but I don't trust that date. Little is known about his case.

1679520666276.png1679520671830.png

Dixon is 33 minutes away from Rio Vista, and the Rio Vista branch would have been the closest Bank of Alex Brown location.

1679520783895.png

Petaluma also wouldn't be to far from Dixon, it's about a 1hr 1/2 drive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back