Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LambChop

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue posting your discussions here.

This about sums it all up. :tantrum:

I'm second! That's a first. ;)

FYI- I looked up JSS's 2012 judicial review ratings ( they are public info). Attorneys and jurors give her outstanding ratings overall, including on ability to control her courtroom, communication skills, integrity, and legal knowledge.

Taking my seat up front . . . . c'mon in guys there's lots of room!

Weird, yesterday's video on AZ Central has vanished.
So, you can have cameras, just not release the footage?

FYI- I looked up JSS's 2012 judicial review ratings ( they are public info). Attorneys and jurors give her outstanding ratings overall, including on ability to control her courtroom, communication skills, integrity, and legal knowledge.
In a regular criminal trial, I wouldn't doubt it. I'm sure she's fairly competent. But with her first death penalty case, she comes across as extremely unsure of herself, unseasoned in the sense that she will go back and forth on her decisions, and she constantly appears to walks on eggshells instead of putting her foot down (i.e allowing a million unnecessary sidebars).

Wow that is a surprise!

Anyone stopped to think that it has now been 18 months since Jodi Ann Arias was found guilty of premeditated murder? And for 18 months, Travis's family, friends and websleuth members have been waiting for a sentencing trial. EIGHTEEN MONTHS! The sentencing trial should have began no later than 60 days. You had the judge, the attorneys, the courtroom, the killer, the verdict. All you needed was another jury. This isn't justice.

And now, we have everyone Gambling with the law and justice. Just sickening. Hope, I don't care what opinions were out there about JSS, that has likely changed in the last few weeks.

My question is what types of threats have there been exactly.

Threats to Jodi (she has 24/7 police protection so not a biggie).
Threats to JW were over the phone and she refused to have LE investigate, according to Nurmi. Maybe JW was afraid to find out who made those calls?
Threats made by the prosecutor, or were they credibility questions that the witness did not care for.

In a regular criminal trial, I wouldn't doubt it. I'm sure she's fairly competent. But with her first death penalty case, she comes across as extremely unsure of herself, unseasoned in the sense that she will go back and forth on her decisions, and she constantly appears to walks on eggshells instead of putting her foot down (i.e allowing a million unnecessary sidebars).
Out of all of them, Juan is the only one with experience in DP cases.

JSS is caught in the middle. She wants a to do this in order :ie Jodi has been convicted of 1st degree murder, sentencing phase, appeals etc. But Nurmi and Co. are blowing this way out of proportion and causing havoc, so she is trying to not risk a mistrial, because that will force her to make a ruling.
She seems to have lowered confidence compared to the first trial.

All JMO.

My question is what types of threats have there been exactly.

Threats to Jodi (she has 24/7 police protection so not a biggie).
Threats to JW were over the phone and she refused to have LE investigate, according to Nurmi. Maybe JW was afraid to find out who made those calls?
Threats made by the prosecutor, or were they credibility questions that the witness did not care for.

IMO, this whole "witnesses are too scared to testify" nonsense started in the guilt phase when JM warned witnesses that if they lied he would press perjury charges faster than their boots could hit the ground. With that they were "too scared" to testify. Nurmi did not clarify too scared of what; he just said his witnesses had been intimidated. That morphed into threatened. And when that notion was given some attention he continued on in that vein...to the present where people are in fear for their lives if they testify.

Any threats being thrown out online or SM are really no different than what happens with all high profile trials. It is for the most part people blowing off steam; some get really ugly but the odds are far more against anyone following through. And IMO, Nurmi knows that. He's just milking this, because he can.

I was just coming in to suggest that.croaker may have it. Time to watch before all are gone ?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Just watched video for first time. I do believe now that the secret witness was Jodi Arias herself and she is testifying to yet another story for which they will call a witness on her behalf.

Bringing this over from the previous thread

Quote by TrialWatcher:
"JSS has been thrown under the bus by the defense team. You don't think Nurmi has tried to use JSS as a vehicle for mistrial? The DT have already charged Juan Martinez with claims of prosecutorial misconduct. Nurmi has shown a lack of respect for JSS throughout the trial. JSS, to me, has tried very hard to steer away from mistrials. The guilt phase was painfully slow but there appeared to be no genuine grounds for mistrial there. The lawyers and legal experts on WS may have spotted reasons. "

Nurmi can do or say anything he pleases, but JSS is responsible for her own decisions. Whatever her reasons for giving in to Nurmi's demands, the onus for those decisions rests on JSS, not Nurmi. As far as his 'charges' against prosecutor Martinez, JM doesn't seem at all phased.

the hearing is on YouTube thanks to Croaker Queen

Thank you!! I wanted to rewatch it and just did, thanks to you.

It seems clear after rewatching that CMJA has been on the stand. JM stated categorically and without hesitation that the witness who had been testifying would be available (today).

He wouldn't have presumed and asserted availability for any other defense witness, imo. It has to be her, and Nurmi must have allocated at least several more days for her on the stand.

IMO, this whole "witnesses are too scared to testify" nonsense started in the guilt phase when JM warned witnesses that if they lied he would press perjury charges faster than their boots could hit the ground. With that they were "too scared" to testify. Nurmi did not clarify too scared of what; he just said his witnesses had been intimidated. That morphed into threatened. And when that notion was given some attention he continued on in that vein...to the present where people are in fear of their lives if they testify.

Any threats being thrown out online or SM are really no different than what happens with all high profile trials. It is for the most part people blowing off steam; some get really ugly but the odds are far more against anyone following through. And IMO, Nurmi knows that. He's just milking this, because he can.

Exactly. People use the SM to blowoff steam the way they used letters to the editor to newspapers of days gone by. None of us care enough to try to do JA or her witnesses any harm. We just want her sentenced and to go away. Her witnesses are afraid to lie to JM because they know he can legally go after them.

Thank you!! I wanted to rewatch it and just did, thanks to you.

It seems clear after rewatching that CMJA has been on the stand. JM stated categorically and without hesitation that the witness who had been testifying would be available (today).

He wouldn't have presumed and asserted availability for any other defense witness, imo. It has to be her, and Nurmi must have allocated at least several more days for her on the stand.

Thanks Hope. I agree. It was made obvious without having to say the killers name. Pretty cool.

Perhaps Jodi's new story slants favorably to a portrayal of her being mentally ill.

Wouldn't a "mentally ill" defense have been brought out in the guilt phase, rather than mitigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3