CANADA Canada - James Cuthbert, 71, Dartmouth, NS, 26 Oct 2014

Canadianmom2three

Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread for James, so I thought I'd make one, been following it in the media.

He's been missing since October 26, 2014

image.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ar-old-man-sought-by-halifax-police-1.2813944
James Cuthbert, 71, left his home near Highway 7 sometime Sunday morning. Police say Cuthbert visited an Esso service station on Cole Harbour Road and then Canadian Tire in Dartmouth Crossing at around 12:30 p.m.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1640889/71-year-old-nova-scotia-man-james-cuthbert-still-missing/
“Jim leaves a voice mail saying he’s run into — and he names two people, and he’s going to have dinner with them so he’s going to be a bit late,” said his son-in-law Tom Martin.

Makes me wonder what happened and why. Seems like he had something planned. But I think his family don't believe so.

He last spoke to his wife at 12:30pm (in Dartmouth) and boarded the 11:45pm ferry to Port aux Basques. Assuming he'd spent 4 and a half hours driving from Dartmouth to North Sydney, that leaves 4 hours and 45 minutes unaccounted for. The ferry ride ranges from 6-8 hours so he would have arrived early the next morning. I'm hoping that his destination (NL) is of some significance to his family.

Since he left his car behind, it sounds like he walked onto the ferry. Surely they would know if he walked off the ferry ... unless ... he hitched a ride with someone who had their vehicle onboard.

Since he left his car behind, it sounds like he walked onto the ferry. Surely they would know if he walked off the ferry ... unless ... he hitched a ride with someone who had their vehicle onboard.

That or maybe made arrangements for transportation on the other side? Maybe was going to meet someone, or 'disappear'?? My mind goes to wondering if he prepared long in advance (money somewhere?), or had an illness, or something he didn't want to tell his family?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/search-for-james-cuthbert-71-ends-1.2828897

Investigators believe Cuthbert went overboard while he was on a ferry from North Sydney, N.S., to Port aux Basques, N.L., on Oct. 26-27, Halifax Regional Police said Saturday.

Foul play is not suspected, police added.

Looks like they are no longer looking for him. So he was not found, but they are really sure he went over board. I wonder why he wanted to do that. We will probably never know.

So the search is over...he's presumed dead.

It seems like he didn't want to ever be found. His body probably will wash away into the Atlantic. Maybe the phone call to his wife was his final good-bye.

After news broke that they had found his car and that he had been spotted, beardless, boarding the ferry and had paid cash, I really hoped he just wanted to get away for a while. Part of me still does...The "words reasonably certain" are a strange way to end a missing person case IMO.

I had the CBC on this morning and this was one of the missing persons cases they discussed. It just seems so out of character from everything his son in law said. The call home, then driving over to the Home Depot parking lot to sit for awhile. I think there were 4 hours unaccounted for in his day ?
What if he did meet someone ? What could they use to make him change his appearance and go to the ferry ? Did someone else walk on too that had been driving with him ? Did he get off the ferry in a vehicle unseen ? I just cant see someone who visits his 102 year old mother every other day suddenly ending his life. Especially in such a strange manner. Just my thoughts.

His Missing Person FB Group has been deleted
But cannot see any further updates on James

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie