NZ - Philip Smith jailed for killing father of boy he abused, Wellington, Dec 1995

zwiebel

Reaction score
A New Zealand convicted murderer and child-sex offender serving a 'life' sentence was considered safe for day release -but has now gone on the run and is considered too dangerous to be approached.

'Phillip John Smith, 40, has previously been denied parole and was released from Springhill Prison near Huntly on Thursday.
Smith has an extensive criminal history and members of the public should not approach him as he is dangerous, police spokeswoman Noreen Hegarty warned.

Smith had already undertaken "a number of successful temporary releases with support people in the community" as part of his reintegration path this year...'

Smith is serving a life sentence for the brutal murder of a 35-year-old Wellington man in 1995. 'He was also sentenced for serious sexual offending against the victim's older son, for the aggravated burglary of the family home and for kidnapping the victim's wife and younger son.'

He may be heading to the Manawatu or Wellington regions, authorities say. Anyone who sees him should dial 111 immediately.

Edited to correct bad link
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11355912

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 128
zwiebel, Your link connects to the wrong article. Here is the correct link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11355912

Why is he on an "reintegration path" if he is supposed to be serving "life" in prison?

Here is his picture:
smith_phillip_2.jpg

http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/dangerous-offender-sought

Another article with a photo: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/murderer-run-after-being-released-prison-unmonitored-6125962
phillip_john_smith_E1.jpg

Sorry NZ, but whatever were you thinking letting this one out? I hope what's left of that poor family are under proper protection this time - they must be terrified.

Smith was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1996 for stabbing a man in Wellington whose son he had been sexually abusing.
He had earlier tracked the family from the Wairarapa, where he was facing sex charges, to the Wellington suburb of Johnsonville, where they were living in a supposedly safe house.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/258951/murderer-on-the-run-after-temporary-release

ClaireNC, thanks so much for pointing THAT mistake out for me!

That poor family must be scared to death. :eek:

There are some people that should simply not -- ever -- be out on "day release."

It seems patently obvious that this man is one of those people.

What on earth were they thinking?

As a New Zealander living in the area this monster is roaming free I am disgusted with the correction dept. And it took his sponser 3 days to alter anyone that he had fled! Wtf is wrong with ppl!!! Will be locking my doors and keeping my children inside till this creep is caught!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A reintegration path to what exactly?? this monster should have been buried under the jail without food or water.

I hope he doesn't make it back to prison where he can get another chance to escape. He is a danger to society. As such, I think that folks should arm themselves and not hesitate to eliminate that threat on sight.

Alternatively, they could pick him up and transport him directly to the front door of the homes of those idiots who chose to let him loose in the first place.

MOO

'The spokeswoman for the family of Smith's victim told Radio New Zealand some members of the family had gone in to police protection.

"My family is frightened, they're not in a good space at all. We just want him caught and this should never have happened, never."
"I've spoken to one of my family who has been put in protection. They're extremely worried, this has upset their whole life yet again... it's not right." '

'Mr Lightfoot apologised for not notifying the family of Smith's victim that Smith was on the run for a further 12 hours.
"Clearly it's not an acceptable time period on reflection," Mr Lightfoot said.'

As a New Zealander living in the area this monster is roaming free I am disgusted with the correction dept. And it took his sponser 3 days to alter anyone that he had fled! Wtf is wrong with ppl!!! Will be locking my doors and keeping my children inside till this creep is caught!

Ugh. I'd do the same -- wouldn't even go out to get the mail! Feel for you. :( Hope he's caught soon. Are the schools closed and other precautions in place?

I'm finding it a little hard to understand why authorities didn't think a criminal who had previously stalked and tracked down his victims, might be a further danger to them, after he escaped?

Even when they found out he'd gone AWOL, it took them 12 hours to notify his victims that he was on the loose.

There are some people that should simply not -- ever -- be out on "day release."

It seems patently obvious that this man is one of those people.

What on earth were they thinking?

I had the same thought about that guy in Canada who went into a bloody frenzy on the bus, he is free now. I am curious how well the could possible monitor him. Forced medication? Even if they implanted him with slow release anti-psychotic meds, I am not okay with it.

Imagine seeing him on the street of you were on that bus! I once saw the man who murdered my cousin (her ex BF) enjoying ice cream on the beach. I was with one of this cousin's siblings. Poor girl really lost it- many thought she imagined seeing him, but he was out after a few years, and there we saw him.

Ugh. I'd do the same -- wouldn't even go out to get the mail! Feel for you. :( Hope he's caught soon. Are the schools closed and other precautions in place?

No not as far as I'm aware[emoji20] the Nz justice system is a joke!

No not as far as I'm aware[emoji20] the Nz justice system is a joke!

So sorry. :( Keep yourself and your family safe, and let your good wisdom be your guide...praying this is resolved SOON!!!

So sorry. :( Keep yourself and your family safe, and let your good wisdom be your guide...praying this is resolved SOON!!!

Nz think I'm hoping he found soon to and does not harm anyone[emoji20]

Turns out he has fled to chile!

Yikes! I just saw this. Chile?....It will be tough to get him back from there. Authorities need to offer a reward, I think.

'Phillip Smith is likely to have had outside help in planning his escape to Chile while on temporary release, police say.

He may also have been planning his escape for years, authorities say.

Smith left by plane for Chile on a passport previously obtained in his birth name, on the afternoon of Thursday, November 6, the day he was temporarily released from Springhill Prison.'

Video at link.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong