Identified! KY - Anderson Co., Skeletal Remains, found by hunters, Nov'14 - Justin Smith

bflocket

Reaction score
Not much is known about this, but deer hunters found a man's wallet in western Anderson County over the weekend. Further searching turned up human bones in the area.

Human remains found in Anderson County (WKYT, Lexington, KY)

The Anderson County coroner tells WKYT that on Saturday, two deer hunters found the contents of a man's wallet in a heavily wooded area off New Liberty Road about 15 miles west of Lawrenceburg.

Deputies were called out to the area and found more skeletonized human remains. The bones were found in the pasture land, as well as the heavily wooded area.

The coroner said investigators recovered 60 bags of evidence. All 60 bags were taken to the state medical examiner's office in Frankfort.

At this time, officials are not sure if the body found was that of a man or woman.

They are also not sure if the wallet that was found belonged to that victim.

This is very close to me and I know the area (at least the roads and terrain) very well. A lot of New Liberty Road has been re-done/bypassed lately to make it easier to get between the BG Parkway from Taylorsville lake. It looks like the remains were found near New Liberty church (namesake of the road).

I highlighted the approximate area where the bones were found. New Liberty Road is the thin, squiggly line running along KY-248. For some reason the "new" road is marked Terrell Ridge Rd. Terrell Ridge (the ridge itself) is south of the area included on this map.

new liberty.JPG

The above link has a follow-up that talks of gift cards in the wallet. If they keep their gift cards there, surely there would be some kind of ID. We don't know if the wallet belonged to the deceased, but it's what led to the search.

Human remains found in Anderson County (WKYT, Lexington, KY)

An autopsy was conducted Monday. Investigators say it might take months, even years, to identify the remains. Police say the autopsy showed there were no indications of foul play, but they say they still can't rule out that possibility. The remains are on their way to an anthropologist at the University of Tennessee. Police hope the anthropologist can extract some DNA and tell them more about who the person was.

"Search for missing persons and go through the file and try to find a lead to the next of kin," said Detective Sergeant Bryan Taylor with the Anderson County Sheriff's Office.

At this time, officials are not sure if the body found was that of a man or woman. Investigators are also not sure if the wallet that was found belonged to that victim. They say they found gift cards near the body. They hope to trace them back to their source to give them more clues about who the person could be.

I wonder if they have reason to doubt that the wallet belongs to the remains, or if they're just being cautious.

The only two people I find who are missing from neighboring counties are Joshua Constantine (Shelby County in December 2011) and Harvey Kays (Franklin County in December 1988).

This UID was mentioned on Harvey Kays' thread (KY Harvey Allen Kays Missing Presumed Dead).

If the wallet belongs to the deceased, it is unlikely Kays due to the gift cards.
Also, the location the bones were found actually wasn't as easy to get to when Kays went missing. Before the new road (now parts of KY-555, US-62, KY-248) was built a few years ago, all of the roads in the area (including US-62) were very "skinny and squiggly." Other than the new section, most of them still are.

Here's what the area was like in 1994 (the closest map I have to the time Kays went missing).

new liberty 1994.jpg

I saw an amusing statement on Topix where someone claimed they knew who it was. When asked why, they basically said "He's the only one around here anybody would wanna do something like that to."

I wish things really were that simple.

@bflocket, thanks for all the info on this thread and the one about the arm found in Lockport. Geography in general and reading maps have always been extremely difficult for me, so I can only rely on the actual distance, nearby counties, and maybe any major highways that the remains were found by. Actually planning on getting tested for dyscalculia in the near future.

I totally agree that Harvey Kays is unlikely due to the wallet; I mentioned him because he disappeared from a neighboring county + there's a chance the wallet doesn't belong to the UID.

@bflocket, thanks for all the info on this thread and the one about the arm found in Lockport. Geography in general and reading maps have always been extremely difficult for me, so I can only rely on the actual distance, nearby counties, and maybe any major highways that the remains were found by. Actually planning on getting tested for dyscalculia in the near future.

I totally agree that Harvey Kays is unlikely due to the wallet; I mentioned him because he disappeared from a neighboring county + there's a chance the wallet doesn't belong to the UID.

Lockport would have actually been a likely location for Kays to have "washed up," had those parts been found 20+ yrs ago.

Spoke with Harvey Kays' son and this is NOT him.

I know its emotional for the family to deal with the hopes of finding him and then to be crushed because it isnt him.

Thanks for thinking of Harvey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back