OK OK - Annastasia Runningwolf, 25, Oklahoma City, Oct 2005

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Relative confirms identity of body
Oklahoman Published: November 12, 2005

A body found in a southwest Oklahoma City drainage ditch Tuesday has been identified as Annastasia Running Wolf, 25, of Oklahoma City.

The woman was found in the 1600 block of S Miller Boulevard about 12:45 p.m. Tuesday, a relative confirmed Friday.

Her death is being investigated as a homicide.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Monday at Crossroads Cathedral, 8901 Shields Blvd. Burial will follow at the Moore City Cemetery.
This is DestinysMom's sister.

Annastasia Runningwolf was not the most functioning of societies people. This should have had no barring on the way her case was handled, but it did. in 2004, Annastasia's grandfather banned her from the family home when she stole some very expensive items from him, and sold them to feed her drug habit. Though he loved his grand daughter dearly, he thought that by doing this, she would have no way to get the drugs she was addicted to, and get clean, and return home. Unfortunately, this made Annastasia turn to prostitution to pay for her ever growing habit, and she was picked up by the Oklahoma City Police Department. While incarcerated in county lock up, her grandfather passed away from the Leukemia battle he had been fighting for 6 months. She begged to be allowed to go to his funeral but the police department denied her request, and she attempted slitting her wrist while in their custody. When she was finally released on bail, she slipped out of Oklahoma and ran to Texas where little is known to me personally what she got herself into, though from what I have found online, she once again got into prostitution and drugs. http://amarillo.com/stories/090905/new_2744853.shtml

In 2005, she returned to her family home where her sister, grandmother, mother, and kids were living on the family land (which contained 3 homes and a converted apartment garage). She was again told to get clean from the drugs and she would be allowed to come home by her grandmother. Her mother and sister couldn't bare her being out on the streets of Oklahoma City. Her sister provided Annastasia with food, and her mother would often times rent hotel rooms for her and provide her with cigarettes when the weather was bad, and the "johns" were scarce. This provided a way for them to know she was safe and give them a small piece of mind. On good weeks Annastasia would call and check in with her mom to let her know everything was okay.

In mid October 2005, the day of her oldest daughters birthday, Annastasia called her mothers home only to be denied the ability to talk to her daughter. Her mother was scared that if she spoke with her daughter that their father would never bring the kids back to visit. Her sister also spoke to her on the phone and the last words she ever told her was "You need to grow up and get clean and be the mother these kids need because they sure as hell don't need you the way you are." These words have haunted her ever since.

When a week had passed and no one had heard from Annastasia, everyone assumed she was giving her family the silent treatment for not being allowed to talk to her daughter. Her mother and grandmother went away to Mexico on their planned trip, leaving her sister home to watch over everything. On the morning of November 3rd, 2005 an Oklahoma City Detective and two officers came to her sisters door and told her that Annastasia had been murdered. Due to the fact that it was an open homicide, they refused to release any information on how she was murdered.

The only information the family was ever given was that her body was found in a drainage ditch, wrapped in a blanket, in the 1600 block of S Miller Boulevard. That by the decomposition she had more than likely been their at least a week. The family cooperated 100% with the Detectives and officers. Her sister, so caught up in needing to know who, how, and when investigated long after the police gave up. She put up flyers all around Oklahoma City, and only one person that called in response said he thought the flyers were for a 'date' with the girl in the picture.

Annastasia's sister overheard one police officer state that nothing would ever be done because they were just happy another prostitute drug attic was off the streets. They didn't care that she left behind two sisters, and three children, a mother, and grandmother who will forever grieve and have no closure. Her sister still calls cold case in Oklahoma City every October and is told the same thing every year. Unless the person(s) who did it come in and announce they murdered Annastasia Runningwolf, the case will never see the light of day again.

I am asking that if ANYONE saw or heard ANYTHING the last part of October 2005 in the area of 1600 block of S Miller Boulevard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma please either contact me via PM, or call the local police department in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. You never know.. the smallest bit of information can cause a snowball effect and bring closure to a family in need.

Unless the killer was an unknown john, more than likely it was a cohort, and money/drugs was the catalyst. I wonder which, if any, of the other 18 individuals named in the injunction also left Texas for OK City. It also would be interesting to find out if any of them ended up dead around the same time.

Unless the killer was an unknown john, more than likely it was a cohort, and money/drugs was the catalyst. I wonder which, if any, of the other 18 individuals named in the injunction also left Texas for OK City. It also would be interesting to find out if any of them ended up dead around the same time.

Thank you! I had not even thought of checking into the other complainants named! Fresh eyes, fresh ideas. I think this is going to be a next step for me.

After making many phone calls, and being shuffled to many different departments, I have a phone appointment with APD's Special Crimes Unit (via phone) tomorrow, and Oklahoma City Homicide won't be in until Wednesday to take any calls. I am not sure what my hope is with these calls, except that maybe they can go back and try to find out where the other complainants named in the document were in late October. This may at least help identify who might possibly be a suspect or may know or have seen anything.

Also to note, I forgot to mention in my original post that Annastasia went by the name Cinnamon while she was hooking. This may help if any of the people whom she hung out with on Robinson St. (in Oklahoma City) remember her. I am not going to judge anyone for what they did in the past or are still currently participating in, I just want to find the person(s) responcible for my sisters death. Thank you.

After contacting APD's Special Crimes unit, I hit another wall. They said that if the people named in the lawsuit were actually doing anything illegal such as drugs or prostitution, then they would have been arrested, not sued, and that the people named had not been arrested. They apologized for the dead end, but said their was nothing else they could do unless OKCPD sent in a request.

I called the FBI building located in Oklahoma, and was told to file a compliant about the situation I would need to contact OSBI. The kicker is OSBI is located in the same building as OKCPD.

Annastasia's sister overheard one police officer state that nothing would ever be done because they were just happy another prostitute drug attic was off the streets.

First I want to say how sorry I am for your loss and not getting the support you need from LE to solve this case.

The part I have in quotes just absolutely makes my blood boil. She was not just another prostitute or drug addict, she was a woman, a human being. We all struggle in life to get by and we all take different paths but for LE to make a comment as such is inexcusable. It is their job to investigate every case and try to find the answers to bring justice for the victim. It is not their job to pass judgment onto the victim.

This reminds of a movie I saw long ago about a woman who daughter's was murdered and ran into the same attitude from the police as Annastasia's sister. The mother was furious with how little they cared about solving the case because they viewed her daughter as low priority, if a priority at all. She continually fought for them to see her daughter as a person and not some low life. She managed to succeed and find her killer. They finally realized their feelings about the woman was wrong. The moment I read your comment that movie popped into my mind.

Send them photos of Annastasia on a regular basis of her with her children or earlier childhood. Whatever you have to send of her in better times, even if you send the same photo each time. I wish I could remember the name of the movie as I believe it was also based on a true story.

I know people in the same line of work over the years become less sensitive but all murders should be given the same respect regardless of how that person lived.

I have made the decision to reach out to the media, any and all newspapers, and am currently attempting to put an audio file together of 'Her Story'. It's hard because I break down crying even after almost 10 years, but I feel that getting this out into the media may actually force them to re open her case. It's all I can do at this point since every phone call I have made has been a dead end with them telling me to call this department or that, and I want to yell... their the ones that gave me YOUR number. It's a cover up to protect those cops rear ends, and I know it is, but I am tired of sitting on the side lines. 9 almost 10 years is too long to not know what happened to my sister, who hurt her, and WHY!

I have made the decision to reach out to the media, any and all newspapers, and am currently attempting to put an audio file together of 'Her Story'. It's hard because I break down crying even after almost 10 years, but I feel that getting this out into the media may actually force them to re open her case. It's all I can do at this point since every phone call I have made has been a dead end with them telling me to call this department or that, and I want to yell... their the ones that gave me YOUR number. It's a cover up to protect those cops rear ends, and I know it is, but I am tired of sitting on the side lines. 9 almost 10 years is too long to not know what happened to my sister, who hurt her, and WHY!
Annastasia Runningwolf was not the most functioning of societies people. This should have had no barring on the way her case was handled, but it did. in 2004, Annastasia's grandfather banned her from the family home when she stole some very expensive items from him, and sold them to feed her drug habit. Though he loved his grand daughter dearly, he thought that by doing this, she would have no way to get the drugs she was addicted to, and get clean, and return home. Unfortunately, this made Annastasia turn to prostitution to pay for her ever growing habit, and she was picked up by the Oklahoma City Police Department. While incarcerated in county lock up, her grandfather passed away from the Leukemia battle he had been fighting for 6 months. She begged to be allowed to go to his funeral but the police department denied her request, and she attempted slitting her wrist while in their custody. When she was finally released on bail, she slipped out of Oklahoma and ran to Texas where little is known to me personally what she got herself into, though from what I have found online, she once again got into prostitution and drugs. http://amarillo.com/stories/090905/new_2744853.shtml

In 2005, she returned to her family home where her sister, grandmother, mother, and kids were living on the family land (which contained 3 homes and a converted apartment garage). She was again told to get clean from the drugs and she would be allowed to come home by her grandmother. Her mother and sister couldn't bare her being out on the streets of Oklahoma City. Her sister provided Annastasia with food, and her mother would often times rent hotel rooms for her and provide her with cigarettes when the weather was bad, and the "johns" were scarce. This provided a way for them to know she was safe and give them a small piece of mind. On good weeks Annastasia would call and check in with her mom to let her know everything was okay.

In mid October 2005, the day of her oldest daughters birthday, Annastasia called her mothers home only to be denied the ability to talk to her daughter. Her mother was scared that if she spoke with her daughter that their father would never bring the kids back to visit. Her sister also spoke to her on the phone and the last words she ever told her was "You need to grow up and get clean and be the mother these kids need because they sure as hell don't need you the way you are." These words have haunted her ever since.

When a week had passed and no one had heard from Annastasia, everyone assumed she was giving her family the silent treatment for not being allowed to talk to her daughter. Her mother and grandmother went away to Mexico on their planned trip, leaving her sister home to watch over everything. On the morning of November 3rd, 2005 an Oklahoma City Detective and two officers came to her sisters door and told her that Annastasia had been murdered. Due to the fact that it was an open homicide, they refused to release any information on how she was murdered.

The only information the family was ever given was that her body was found in a drainage ditch, wrapped in a blanket, in the 1600 block of S Miller Boulevard. That by the decomposition she had more than likely been their at least a week. The family cooperated 100% with the Detectives and officers. Her sister, so caught up in needing to know who, how, and when investigated long after the police gave up. She put up flyers all around Oklahoma City, and only one person that called in response said he thought the flyers were for a 'date' with the girl in the picture.

Annastasia's sister overheard one police officer state that nothing would ever be done because they were just happy another prostitute drug attic was off the streets. They didn't care that she left behind two sisters, and three children, a mother, and grandmother who will forever grieve and have no closure. Her sister still calls cold case in Oklahoma City every October and is told the same thing every year. Unless the person(s) who did it come in and announce they murdered Annastasia Runningwolf, the case will never see the light of day again.

I am asking that if ANYONE saw or heard ANYTHING the last part of October 2005 in the area of 1600 block of S Miller Boulevard, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma please either contact me via PM, or call the local police department in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. You never know.. the smallest bit of information can cause a snowball effect and bring closure to a family in need.
Destinysmom could you please contact me. My name is Matthew Reed and I was a lifelong friend of Anastasia. I may have some information that may or may not help. Been many years and would like to see something done. I would like her kids to know that regardless of her mistakes she was a very good person. Many people have trouble with addiction and family troubles. Most people have a chance to change and make amends but someone took that away from her. She was taken away too early and ran out of time but she was working on it. She was a very young women when this happened.

Vigilante’s arrest ends 4-month inquiry
Dear Destinysmom,
I know of Brian Bates. I’ve seen him out and about. My husband works on South Robinson at an auto garage. This prostitution and Bates thing has been going on for over 13 years. My dad used to own the shop before my husband took it over. I‘ve spoken to a girl going by Cinnamon but I’m pretty sure it was after 2005? I remember she had some dental problems. She was also a dancer at a bar in Valley Brook. My husband knows a lot of the hookers and police as there used to be a pay phone in front of the shop. Have you spoken with Bates? Below is an article about Bates.
Vigilante’s arrest ends 4-month inquiry

This is Destiny'sMom. I forgot my password, and no longer have my old email address, so I just signed up for a new account.

I am updating this post since it's been 2 years. There has been no new news on Annastasia. I still do my yearly call in's to the OCPD Cold Case department. This past October was the 1st time since 2005 that my call was not returned. I was contacted by a Forensics Researcher 2 days ago, and just got off the phone with them. No one is any closer to solving my sister's murder. No new test have been run, and no new forensics have been ran on the blanket they found her body in.

I still have not given up hope that one day my sister's murder(s) will come to justice, and there will be closure. Since I opened this thread, both my mother, and grandmother have now passed away. Their are people who loved Annastasia, and will never forget her, or allow her memory to be lost. I am never going to give up on finding out the truth.

• Summary
  • Season 2 - We cover the numerous unsolved deaths of sex workers and missing persons cases in and around the city of Lawton, Oklahoma. Instagram - @swediana_project If you have any tips or would like to be interviewed about the cases, you can email us here - Swedianaproject@gmail.com You can remain anonymous if choose. Music composed and recorded by Oak Studios
EpisodesView all
  • S2 E9 - Annastasia Runningwolf / Barbara Berry
    Apr 12 2022
    - 25 year old Annastasia Runningwolf was last heard from in October of 2005. Her body was found in Oklahoma City on November 8th, 2005. At the time of her death, Annastasia was struggling with addiction and working the streets. Her body was found nude, except for a blanket which had been knotted around her entire body, and a black sweater that was inside out and covering her entire head. She had been bound by wire to bend her into a fetal position and she had been killed by blunt force trauma. - In 1993, 19 year old Barbara Berry went missing from Lawton, Oklahoma. At the time, Barbara was sometimes working at a topless bar in Lawton, but also working the streets in order to support her drug habit. Over a year after she went missing, Barbara would be found, her remains were left in a box in a field in Comanche County.
    17 mins
    Listen for free
  • S2 E8 - The Profile
    Feb 17 2022
    In 2004, a criminal profiler named Dean Wideman produced a generalized profile of the possible killer. In this episode I talk to Jen Bucholtz and George Jared about this profile. Jen teaches Forensics and Criminal Justice at American Military University. She also hosts a podcast called 'Break the Case.' George is a a true crime author and investigative reporter. He also hosts a podcast called 'Diamond State Murder Board.' This is an informative conversation that provides alot of insight on who might be responsible for these murders.
    42 mins
    Listen for free
  • S2 E7 - Other Agencies Find Similar Cases
    Feb 4 2022
    In 2004, Seventeen different law enforcement agencies, from at least six different states, came together to compare similar cases. They shared crime scene photos and autopsy reports to determine if another five victims, along with the Lawton victims, could have been the work of the same person.
    33 mins
    Listen for free

The Swediana Project - Welcome to Lawton
Annastasia Runningwolf (1979-2005) buried in Moore Cemetery located in Moore, OK | People Legacy

Moore Cemetery in Moore, OK - working hours, burials list, pictures and map and GPS locations | People Legacy

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10