London Bombings- WE ARE NOT AFRAID

emma l

Reaction score
:mad: I wanted to post this because THIS IS MY HOME.

No matter what anyone may think the rights and wrongs of it are I have a right to travel around without fear. I was very nearly caught up in it- the Liverpool Street bombing is my direct route to work at the time the bombs went off- but by circumstance and luck I missed my train that day and by the time I got to the tube station it was closed. Please spare a thought for the people caught up in this and their families. It is very tense travelling to work at the moment but I am determined to. Thank God they may have now caught them. All phone networks went down following the bombings so I couldnt contact any or my family or friends- who mostly work in London to see if they were okay-luckily they were, but it was very frightening.

A website had been set up for the people of London and anyone who feels the need to stand defiant against these people. It sends out a really positive message.

http://www.werenotafraid.com/

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/international/news/20050713p2g00m0in009000c.html
LEEDS, England -- British police announced their first major breakthrough in the deadly London bombings, saying they had closed-circuit TV film of four suspects -- possibly suicide bombers -- arriving in the center of the capital shortly before the explosions began.

Britain's Press Association identified one of the men as Shahzad Tanweer, 22, who friends described as a cricket-loving recent graduate of a sports education program, and another as a 19-year-old. PA reported that at least three of the bombers were believed to be British men of Pakistani origin.

Police refused to comment on the report.

Peter Clarke, head of the Metropolitan Police anti-terrorist branch, said at least three of the suspected men were from West Yorkshire in northern England, and that a man had been arrested after raids on homes in the West Yorkshire town of Leeds, which has a substantial Muslim community. Press Association said the arrested man was a relative of one of the suspected bombers.

A closed-circuit TV video showed that all four men had arrived at King's Cross station by 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, about 20 minutes before the blasts began on three subway trains and one bus that killed at least 52 people, Clarke said.

"They were chatting. You would think they were going on a hiking holiday," PA quoted an unidentified senior security source as saying after watching the video. The source reportedly said the footage showed the men carrying army-style rucksacks.

In a Scotland Yard news conference, Clarke said police had "strong forensic and other evidence" that the man believed to have carried a bomb onto the subway train that exploded between the Aldgate and Liverpool Street stations died in the blast, and they were awaiting confirmation from the coroner. Police were trying to determine whether the other three also died in the explosions. snip...............

emma l said:
:mad: I wanted to post this because THIS IS MY HOME.

No matter what anyone may think the rights and wrongs of it are I have a right to travel around without fear. I was very nearly caught up in it- the Liverpool Street bombing is my direct route to work at the time the bombs went off- but by circumstance and luck I missed my train that day and by the time I got to the tube station it was closed. Please spare a thought for the people caught up in this and their families. It is very tense travelling to work at the moment but I am determined to. Thank God they may have now caught them. All phone networks went down following the bombings so I couldnt contact any or my family or friends- who mostly work in London to see if they were okay-luckily they were, but it was very frightening.

A website had been set up for the people of London and anyone who feels the need to stand defiant against these people. It sends out a really positive message.

http://www.werenotafraid.com/

We in the U.S. are most certainly praying for you and standing in solidarity with you. I am so sorry that you as a people have lost innocent friends and family members to this vicious, evil attack.

I haven't always agreed with T. Blair (or Bush) but I felt proud of him and our shared way of life when he described how the British people would face this newest tragedy without fear -- I think the British people demonstrate the integrity and resolve that have made our civilization great. We're praying with you for a swift end to terrorist threats.

Thankyou so much. As someone who lives in the centre of it all, this is certainly appreciated.

I also very rarely agree with Blair (or Bush). But I think when he signed the book of condolences "To London, The Greatest Capital City in the World" it certainly struck a chord with a lot of people. I LOVE this city.

I see that the Mayor of London has organised a free music concert in the centre of London for Saturday. Its called "London United" and I, for one will be attending. Its so important that we stand up to these bullies. There will also be a 2 minute silence tomorrow at 12pm (GMT) where all public transport will stop and people will come out of their buildings and stand on the street, in a message of unity and defiance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back