GUILTY MI - Kayla White, 23, pregnant, killed in fiery crash, Southfield, 11 Nov 2014

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Pregnant woman killed in fiery crash on Lodge Freeway

Kayla Lucille White identified as victim

Published On: Nov 12 2014 12:28:40 PM EST

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. -
Michigan State Police have identified a 23-year-old pregnant woman as the one who was killed Tuesday in a fiery crash on the Lodge Freeway.

Kayla Lucille White's Jeep Liberty was rear-ended in the northbound lanes near Telegraph Road by the driver of a Cadillac who was "not paying attention," police said in a statement...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/pregnant-woman-killed-in-fiery-crash-on-lodge-freeway/29678382

Pregnant woman dead in fiery crash on Lodge Freeway

Candice Williams and Holly Fournier, The Detroit News 6:05 p.m. EST November 11, 2014

Southfield — A woman was killed Tuesday afternoon in a fiery crash involving four vehicles on the Lodge Freeway at Telegraph, according to Michigan State Police.

Kayla White, 23, was killed when her 2003 Jeep Liberty was struck from behind, causing the vehicle to overturn and catch fire. White, of Ferndale, was pregnant and in her third trimester at the time of the crash, according to police...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...iery-crash-lodge-freeway-southfield/18881777/

interesting that they are awaiting blood test results in addition to the autopsy report on the woman who was killed, not the driver who killed her.

Safety Of Vehicle Under Scrutiny After Pregnant Woman Dies In Freeway Explosion

November 12, 2014 8:19 PM

DETROIT (WWJ) — The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says there were 58 deaths involving Jeep Libertys from the 2002 through 2007 models years where the vehicle caught fire in a rear-impact crash.

Chrysler has issued a recall — but denies a defect. The issue with the Jeeps in question was fuel tank leaks and fires after a rear-end collision, with the gas tank being located behind the rear axle...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/11...ter-pregnant-woman-dies-in-freeway-explosion/

Berman: Rush hour accident shatters a family's hopes

Laura Berman, The Detroit News 10:39 a.m. EST November 13, 2014

Kayla White was never late to work.

Never.

When she didn't show up for her hostess job at Andiamo in Bloomfield Hills at 5 p.m. Tuesday, the general manager, Florina Boyle, worried. When she realized Kayla's cellphone was off, "I knew," said Boyle, who worked with Kayla for eight years, watching her grow from a teenager to a "lovely young woman, " and become a close friend.

Boyle called Kayla's father, Russ White, who immediately drove the route his daughter would have, expecting to find her by the side of the road. As he turned off Interstate 696 toward Telegraph, he saw flashing red lights and wreckage. "They wouldn't let me near the car," he said Wednesday afternoon...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...our-accident-shatters-familys-hopes/18947177/

interesting that they are awaiting blood test results in addition to the autopsy report on the woman who was killed, not the driver who killed her.

I would hope that his blood alcohol level was tested. Although it doesn't sound as if he was drunk. But the driver who hits the car from behind is usually the one at fault. So he could face criminal charges even if he was not drunk.
It's a horrible tragedy. People should be paying attention while driving.

distracted driving usually means texting these days ...

http://triblive.com/business/headlines/7757982-74/jeep-chrysler-jeeps#axzz3Ts715OSF

Last week, prosecutors charged the Cadillac driver with committing a moving violation that caused a death. But safety advocates and the lawyer for White's family say the blame belongs as much, if not more, on Chrysler and an auto industry safety system that moves too slowly to prevent tragedy...

White tried to get the repair done a few weeks before her death but was told by a Jeep dealer that parts were not available, according to Gerald Thurswell, her family's lawyer. Thurswell contends the gas tank ruptured, spilling fuel that touched off the fire... Other Jeep owners have reported difficulties in getting repairs done. Since the recall was announced, more than 840 people complained to the government that Chrysler dealers did not have hitches available, according to an AP review of a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration database.

As of Jan. 14, Chrysler had repaired only 12 percent of the Jeeps — despite two letters from NHTSA demanding faster action. That leaves more than 1.3 million Jeeps still on the road with gas tanks in a vulnerable position.

The distracted driving also could be due to an early dementia - my mom plowed into the back of a police car a few miles north of there and it was actually the first indicator that something was going on with her. Her ability to pay attention to multiple things while driving was the main reason for this crash, and I thanked God the police officer wasn't hurt.

That doesn't absolve Chrysler of their responsibility, especially seeing that Kayla had tried to get her vehicle repaired just before this happened. I had a car that had been recalled a few years before (Chevy) and I found the dealership very reluctant to repair the vehicle. It took 4 separate visits by me before they figured out I wasn't going away and they ordered the kit or part to fix my car. I really think they hope people will just give up or the car is traded or sold so they never have to fix it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back