Punk priestess Patti Smith to serenade Pope Francis

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Patti Smith speaks out on the Pope, the Bible, and foolish people (philly.com)

Conservative Catholics are up in arms about it, as are post-religious hipsters. What on earth was Pope Francis, 77, thinking when he invited punk heroine Patti Smith to serenade him at the Vatican's Dec. 13 Christmas concert?
---
"I like Pope Francis and I'm happy to sing for him," she told a reporter for Brit paper the Guardian Tuesday at a confab at the Museum of the Moving Image in New York. "Anyone who would confine me to a line from 20 years ago is a fool."

Smith, who is not a Catholic, recently told U.K. paper the Independent that she thinks the Bible is a great work. "It has everything - creation, betrayal, lust, poetry, prophecy, sacrifice," she said. "It doesn't really matter what religion you are . . . those stories are still relevant to what people go through in their lives."
more at link

Not a misprint which should read, "Punk priestess Patti Smith to serenade Black Francis of Pixies," btw.

[video=youtu;xxygqSTO1lQ]http://youtu.be/xxygqSTO1lQ[/video]

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums of all time. Jesus died for somebody's sins................but not mine!

Patti Smith answers her critics about upcoming Vatican performance: 'I like Pope Francis and I’m happy to sing for him'

“I had a strong religious upbringing and the first word on my first LP is Jesus,” Smith explained. “I did a lot of thinking. I’m not against Jesus, but I was 20 and I wanted to make my own mistakes. And I didn’t want anyone dying for me. I stand behind that 20 year old girl, but I have evolved. I’ll sing to my enemy! I don’t like being pinned down and I’ll say what the f--k I want - especially at my age.” (Smith is now 67).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back