How a white van plus flags spelt doom for UK politician

zwiebel

Reaction score
Most places in the world, it takes a sex, substance or money scandal to cause a politician to resign. Not in not-so-jolly old England though, with its deeply embedded class system. Tweeting a photo of a house draped in England flags with a white van outside and the name of the city is enough there.

It led to accusations of snobbery and Labour party politician Emily Thornberry seems to feel she's guilty, as she said sorry and then resigned.

In case it's all lost in translation, the huge offence taken at the photo, tweeted with the straightforward words 'Image of Rochester' seems to be for these reasons:

A widely held belief in England that all white van drivers are aggressive, possibly short in the education department and 'lower class'. 'The man in white van' syndrome.

Anyone displaying a national flag on their home, especially the St George one as opposed to the Union Jack, is a little suspect for all sorts of reasons in England, unless they happen to be the Queen. It seems Emily was sending an unspoken but deliberate message with the tweet, which the British public got, straightaway.

I don't think it's because the flags make the house look a little messy (which I think they do, without proper poles). It's very hard to pin it down exactly in words though and I could be wrong. Maybe someone closer to the action can help explain the hidden snobbery and message behind this photo?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...hester-tweet-labour-shadow-cabinet?CMP=twt_gu

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/535450556199075840/photo/1

Attachments

• B25NbWHIUAAJxsy.jpg
    B25NbWHIUAAJxsy.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 27
I bet whoever is responsible for maintaining the pavements (sidewalks) in Rochester didn't like that photo going nationwide either. It's one heck of a patchwork.

You got it right Zwiebel, the flags look messy, the footpath is in a disgraceful state of disrepair. The flags are covering a window, the whole thing is a shambles.
It the UK a person does not display themselves like that, the Brits don't like exhibitionists. It is considered vulgar.
The neighbours would have been embarassed. etc. etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back