604 users online (80 members and 524 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    324

    NJ - West Milford, BlkMale 536UMNJ, bound, strangled off Route 23, Apr'83

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/536umnj.html

    Unidentified Black Male


    The victim was discovered on April 5, 1983 in West Milford, Passaic county, New Jersey
    Estimated Date of Death: 48 hours prior to discovery
    Homicide Victim
    Vital Statistics

    Estimated age: Young
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 135 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black "afro" hair-style, about one and a quarter inches tall. Slim build.
    Dentals: Available. Metallic bridge with open face crowns. This type of dental treatment is not commonly rendered in the United States.
    Clothing: Blue jeans and terry-cloth socks but no shirt.
    Jewelry: A small yellow signet ring with the initials J.C., worn on the left ring finger, and a black digital Casio watch on left wrist.
    Tattoos: He had a homemade tattoo --"My love"--written above a heart punctured with Cupid's arrow. (blue or black)
    Fingerprints: Available.
    Other: He is thought to be left handed because of the way the tattoo was done. From the length of his nails and circumstances of his death, he may have been homosexual. The autopsy pointed to a possible tie to the West Indies that could be related to hair texture.
    Case History
    The victim had been tied up and covered in a brown blanket. Besides evidence of strangulation, there were no other wounds.
    The victim tested negative for use of alcohol or drugs with no traces evident in his body.
    Nearby Jefferson was home to a bar patronized by homosexuals. Jefferson is accessible by Route 23, which is where the body was discovered. Police are uncertain whether John Doe was killed in West Milford or simply deposited there because of proximity to the highway and a degree of isolation.
    He had no military or criminal history as his fingerprints were not in the system.
    He might be from the Greater Paterson area.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 11-22-2014 at 01:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,437
    I have to disagree with the description of the open face crowns as rare in the US. That style of somewhat decorative crown has been quite popular among young urbanites for quite some time. It's possibly more popular with black males but I've seen it on both sexes and all races around Boston. They often add jewels or other decoration. Some of them are purely decorative and some are also functional; it sounds like that's the kind this gentleman had.

    They're usually called "grills" or "grillz" or fronts; there are other slang terms too.

    Like this: http://www.chi-grillz.com/

    This Boston.com article from 2006 indicates they were popular in the midwest and south before becoming more generally popular: http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashi..._is/?page=full
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,437
    Nothing new. I couldn't find him in Namus.

    Interestingly, that part of New Jersey is considered one of the more haunted areas of North America. At least one victim of R. Kuklinski, notorious mob hit man, was left near Route 23 near West Milford. I drove part of that road a couple of years ago, on a dark rainy night, and dang if it wasn't about the creepiest place I've ever been. And for long stretches there's really nothing on it, not even farmhouses.

    Map showing route from West Milford to Jefferson, where the bar is: https://goo.gl/maps/vS1oCmSjb4K2
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    1,022
    I have a few MP cases to enter in tomorrow. I'll enter this profile into twitter tomorrow as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,425
    William Delk
    Missing since July 23, 1982 from New York City, New York.
    Classification: Endangered Missing



    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: June 1, 1964
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11; 165 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Black hair; brown eyes. Delk wears eyeglasses. May have a mustache.
    Marks, Scars: His left ear is pierced.
    Clothing: Lee jeans; a gray shirt; and black sneakers. He wore a stud earring.
    AKA: Chris
    Dentals: Available



    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Delk was last seen on July 23, 1982, as he left the Job Corps office building on Andrews Avenue in the Bronx, New York. He was en route to his home in Huntington, New York at the time, but he never arrived.

    WDelk[1].jpg

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/204dmny.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Howell, NJ
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Nothing new. I couldn't find him in Namus.

    Interestingly, that part of New Jersey is considered one of the more haunted areas of North America. At least one victim of R. Kuklinski, notorious mob hit man, was left near Route 23 near West Milford. I drove part of that road a couple of years ago, on a dark rainy night, and dang if it wasn't about the creepiest place I've ever been. And for long stretches there's really nothing on it, not even farmhouses.

    Map showing route from West Milford to Jefferson, where the bar is: https://goo.gl/maps/vS1oCmSjb4K2
    My mom used to live up in Jefferson. Driving anywhere around there at night is an unnerving experience.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    I have to disagree with the description of the open face crowns as rare in the US. That style of somewhat decorative crown has been quite popular among young urbanites for quite some time. It's possibly more popular with black males but I've seen it on both sexes and all races around Boston. They often add jewels or other decoration. Some of them are purely decorative and some are also functional; it sounds like that's the kind this gentleman had.

    They're usually called "grills" or "grillz" or fronts; there are other slang terms too.

    Like this: http://www.chi-grillz.com/

    This Boston.com article from 2006 indicates they were popular in the midwest and south before becoming more generally popular: http://www.boston.com/yourlife/fashi..._is/?page=full
    I just want to point out that while grillz/grills are popular now that wasn't the case in 1983 in NJ or, I suspect, the rest of the country.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,425
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/415dmca.html

    Byron Eric Page
    Missing since January 29, 1992 from Los Angeles, California.
    Classification: Endangered Missing



    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: September 16, 1974
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8" - 173 cm; 160 lbs - 73 kg.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Black hair; brown eyes.
    Clothing: Blue and white jacket, blue baseball cap, black pants.
    Dentals: Available
    DNA: In CODIS



    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Byron was last seen at a bus stop in Los Angeles, CA. He was going to a warehouse in North Hollywood, that sold tapes and records but no one remembered seeing him there.

    Byron had never hinted he wanted to leave home and he was not considered a runaway. Byron, who was preparing for his driver's test, was excited about this and his other pursuits -- writing, sports, his first real jobs and college. His clothes, treasured comic books and the money he saved from a recent ski trip were left behind at home. Foul play is suspected.


    BPage[1].jpg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,437
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnthrplgst View Post
    I just want to point out that while grillz/grills are popular now that wasn't the case in 1983 in NJ or, I suspect, the rest of the country.
    The history is a bit vague, but the articles I quoted indicted that hip hop artists including Raheem the Dream, Flava Flav, and Slick Rick were wearing them by the early 80's. They were mostly New York based, and they would definitely have been a city thing. So yeah, it would make it sound like he's not local.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2017, 11:47 PM
  2. TX TX - Houston, BlkMale 77UMTX, 23-40, found strangled, Jul'86
    By Bobby88 in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 03:42 AM
  3. GUILTY UK - Riley Turner, 4, stabbed, strangled in West Yorkshire, 20 Jan 2013
    By Fluttershy in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 10:52 AM
  4. Identified! CT - New Haven, BlkMale, 20-40, in West River, May'12 - Mutalib Bello
    By Donjeta in forum Identified!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Tags for this Thread