Cost, comfort drive ghost brands' reappearance

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Hey, Brothers, Can You Spare a Cough Drop? (NYT)

What is it with fraternal ties and ticklish throats? [....] Now, the vintage Smith Brothers brand of cough drops is poised to try a comeback, keeping its familiar brand symbol of a pair of bearded brothers and expanding into a line of health and wellness products.
---
The campaign is an example of an effort to breath new life into what is known as a ghost brand: a once-popular mainstay among packaged goods that fell dormant or out of favor because of a loss of consumer interest and advertising spending. Some ghost brands disappear from stores altogether, while many others remain but are banished to bottom shelves in supermarkets or drugstores and get little or no marketing support.

Other examples of ghost brands include Aim, Ammens, Aqua Velva, Armour, Breck, Brylcreem, Bromo-Seltzer, Brut, Camay, Close-Up, Comet, Duncan Hines, Fab, Hydrox, Kretschmer, Lava, Log Cabin, My-T-Fine, Noxzema shave cream, Oxydol, Parkay, Pepsodent, Pert Plus, Prell, Schlitz, Spic and Span, Sure, Vitalis and White Rain.
---
much more at links

Any "ghost brands" you'd like to see make a comeback?

Hey, Brothers, Can You Spare a Cough Drop? (NYT)

much more at links

Any "ghost brands" you'd like to see make a comeback?

Prell! About a year ago, my husband noticed that Prell was disappearing from the stores. So he ordered 3 cases of it. He's convinced it's the only shampoo that makes his hair look just right ; ). I, personally, would kill for a few bottles of Lanvin's Spanish Geranium.

BTW, vermontcountrystore.com occasionally orders special runs of ghost brands.

Prell! About a year ago, my husband noticed that Prell was disappearing from the stores. So he ordered 3 cases of it. He's convinced it's the only shampoo that makes his hair look just right ; ). I, personally, would kill for a few bottles of Lanvin's Spanish Geranium.

BTW, vermontcountrystore.com occasionally orders special runs of ghost brands.

I receive Vermont Country Store catalogs in the mail...

Fun to look through!

:D

Parkay's no longer a thing, btw? I could swear I just bought a tub of that last Tuesday.

Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific, the original scent Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner.

Pert Plus -- green, smelled alright, + cheap = good enuf for my head.

Hold cough drops. You can find them on the internet, but no stores carry them. :( And I loved Pert Plus!

Blackjack, Beeman's and Clove gum.
Dryad Deodorant
Protein 21 Shampoo

All the books I've ever read that are now out-of-print and I no longer have them.

And Tom Thumb drops.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back