Discussions about the book - The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay by David Murray

Snails

Reaction score
So the Allison Baden Clay book has been released and I downloaded it on iBooks today.
2c3b49c1313c9a9086144062ac0f604a.jpg

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/murder-allison-baden-clay/id890762354?mt=11

http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/david-murray/the-murder-of-allison-baden-clay-9781742759838.aspx

FYI

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...sband-expected-an-early-arrest/story-fnn8dlfs

Baden-Clay book reveals details about Allison’s first fiance and how her husband expected an early arrest
KATE KYRIACOU THE COURIER-MAIL NOVEMBER 27, 2014 12:00AM

ALLISON Baden-Clay could have lived a long, happy and safe life with her first fiance – a scuba instructor she’d bought two properties with – but was wooed away by a relentless Gerard, it can be revealed...His family also asked wealthy State MP Dr Bruce Flegg to put up $1 million to help his bid for bail after he was arrested for his wife’s murder...The revelations are contained in the new book, The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay, by David Murray, the Courier-Mail crime and courts editor ...

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou 44m44 minutes ago
You can buy this from TODAY. An amazing read. http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/david-murray/the-murder-of-allison-baden-clay-9781742759838.aspx …

http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/david-murray/the-murder-of-allison-baden-clay-9781742759838.aspx

The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay
by David Murray

"... How did a father with no criminal history come to be on trial for the brutal murder of his wife?
It began with a phone call to Brisbane police on 20 April 2012. Allison, wife of real-estate agent Gerard Baden-Clay, was missing.
When investigating officers arrived at the family home, in one of the city's wealthiest suburbs, a neatly dressed Gerard had been getting the couple's three daughters ready for school. Scratches on his face were shaving cuts, he told them.
Police weren't so sure and opened one of Australia's biggest ever missing persons investigations.
Ten days after Gerard reported Allison's disappearance, the body of the former beauty queen was discovered on a creek bank 14 kilometres from home.
The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay is written by the investigative journalist who covered the case from the start. It weaves together exclusive interviews and police and court records to explain how a father with no criminal history came to be on trial for a brutal murder. It's also a story about everyday choices and their consequences..."

- See more at: http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books...-clay-9781742759838.aspx#sthash.1CNV8nHn.dpuf

David Murray's book gives Websleuths a mention, along with a special mention of our very own Alicat and Kiwijayne! :happydance:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...=94886688&nk=5c4ecafb0f88403fb3394cefabd28add

AVERICK Ipswich councillor Paul Tully embedded a hidden message in a blog about Allison Baden-Clay, accusing her husband of killing her before he was charged.

Cr Tully used a code to share his thoughts on what happened to Allison, with the first letter of every sentence in the blog spelling out an accusation of murder.

Incredibly everyone missed the coded message, written only days after her body was discovered, which spelt out: “THE HUSBAND DID IT”.

The secret message is revealed in a new book, The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay, by The Courier-Mail’s crime editor David Murray.

It can also be revealed that Cr Tully uncovered a secretive police operation in which detectives bugged the flowers on Allison’s coffin in a bid to catch Gerard Baden-Clay in a confession.

Only hours after Allison’s funeral service, Cr Tully sent an email to Ipswich councillors starting with the words “latest goss!”.

Please note...some may not wish to read this discussion thread until they've read the book. Your choice :)

Made it to the end. Definitely couldn't put it down through the court case chapters, the extra detail about body language was superb.
I understand better why Flegg acquainted himself with G, given his total lack of knowledge about housing when appointed Minister in that area ... That was my AHA moment.

I've bought a hard copy of the book today. I haven't bought a book in a real bookshop for as long as I could remember LOL I can't wait to get stuck into it over the weekend and look forward to some good discussion as more of us read it.

Looking forward to reading this book.

I have my copy of the book. YEY! I'll probably devour it in one sitting, I'm a bookaholic. LOL. I'm pleased that David Murray got his book out there for all and sundry to read before any of the other crap hits the bookshelves. We're lead to believe that Toni McHugh is also writing a book (the mind boggles!) and I reckon one of the Baden-Clay's will also publish a book about this case. I'm tipping Elaine Baden-Clay will finally realise her dream of becoming a published author. God help us!

I'm about halfway through. I got mine on Kindle. It's giving me lots of little fill-in details and he seems to have got the main story pretty right. I was fascinated by the background of both families, but I found myself skipping pages where there is too much detail about people who are not relevant to the story of Allison. I don't really need to know the detailed background of someone in Toowoomba who was killed in the floods, just because they impacted on Gerard's business, for example. There is a little too much of this 'filler' in my view.

However it's a minor pick. What he does get right is the picture of Allison, her family and Gerard's family, and the friends who were so invested in Allison's fate. I thought it was spot on, and very moving, sometimes shocking and leaves you shaking your head. I have yet to read the court details, will comment on those later this weekend hopefully.

I think the inclusion of the floods is for international readers, and there are so many Toowoomba people involved in the story, I can see the point of Toowoomba and Ipswich being relevant in setting the scene up properly. I, too read it on kindle. I like having live links in the bibliography and being able to quickly Google anything or jump to Wikipedia.

I'm about halfway through and here are some of my random thoughts. I noticed the reference to a the Granny Pash - that phrase originated from here didn't it?

I'm thoroughly enjoying the digs at Gerard and his family, petty I know but I don't care! Loled at the part about Gerard wearing the mustard jacket so often that people commented that he probably wore it to bed, and they weren't referring to sleeping :laughing:

I feel so incredibly sorry for Allison all over again reading about how hard she tried to save her marriage and how she blamed herself. It's just heartbreaking. And her wonderful family, gee what a contrast to her in-laws.

Something I hadn't really thought about was how much GBC's refusal to give a statement hindered the police eg they didn't know the specifics of Allison's shoes and couldn't get recent photos of Allison. Her sister had to drive back to her parents on the Gold Coast to get some. Arghhhh I hate him so much.

I'm so glad for this thread, I didn't know what to make of the book when I heard about it... I'll have to grab myself a copy!

http://www.news.com.au/national/boo...ewrite-statement/story-e6frfkp9-1227140215673

Book reveals Allison Baden-Clay’s sister forced to rewrite statement
DECEMBER 01, 2014

ALLISON Baden-Clay’s sister was ordered to “water down” her emotive victim impact statement ... her brother was locked out of court ... Mr Ashley Dickie rushed into the city upon hearing the jury had reached a verdict ... arrived in time to read his statement, but found the doors to the court closed and security blocking his way. His victim impact statement was read out by Ms Fowler while Mr Dickie and his wife were forced to wait in the foyer... :facepalm: “He would not be allowed in to face his sister’s killer and see him sentenced,” Murray said in his book...

Well it seems I was on the wrong thread. I'm halfway through the book and loving reading how much disdain the police clearly had for all the Clays... But mostly I'm glad that I've found you all again! And also how websleuths were being read by both police and media. Big shout out to Alicat, Kiwijayne and Indromum. Haha, laughed when he wrote about asking the trolley boy about the chains! Indromum, you are are a classic!

Well it seems I was on the wrong thread. I'm halfway through the book and loving reading how much disdain the police clearly had for all the Clays... But mostly I'm glad that I've found you all again! And also how websleuths were being read by both police and media. Big shout out to Alicat, Kiwijayne and Indromum. Haha, laughed when he wrote about asking the trolley boy about the chains! Indromum, you are are a classic!

Oh I have to buy the book. I got a mention in it? Wow.

Oh I have to buy the book. I got a mention in it? Wow.
Keyboredom comes up several times ... There is a chapter about sleuthers, but they are also referred to in other parts of the book.

Was our darling Doc Watson and Alioop mentioned?? They both gave so much learned and valuable information along the way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back