CT CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

yes omg i totaly forgot that its been 53 years i remeber when i found out about the case of connie smith. it hit home again another girl from ct vanishes without a trace from summer camp.. i did some research i think where she went missing and where i live is like a nr away.. when i was little i used to live out that way where she vanished i was about maby 15-20 minnuts away.. i know i was in contact with a women who was writing a book on smith but i dont think anything came of the book, i know this person stated that a few of the facts in her listings on the web were not all accurate and it was missinformation passed down. from person to person.. i know they checked into some suspects but nothing came of them... also to my knowlege she is an only child.. and her parents were divorced... and she had a grandma who lived in grenwich ct.. i wonder if she has any family left any cousins or if she even had any siblings. someone knows what happend to her that person is probably long gone..

I came across some interesting info while researching another case some of you are familiar with...;)

From the Coshocton (OH) Tribune, Apr 8th 1953--"Floater's Story of Desert Murder May Solve Disappearance of Girl, 10"...27 year-old Frederick Pope confessed to the Washington OH PD that he and a companion, Jack Walker, had picked up Connie Smith in CT with the promise of taking her home to WY. They actually took her to AZ, where Walker strangled Smith and buried her along a highway in AZ. Pope and Walker then argued, at which time Pope killed Walker with a tire iron.
From the Syracuse (NY) Herald, April 9th, 1953--"Kidnap-Killing Story a Hoax"....PD reported Pope "broke down after repeated grilling" and admitted he made up the story.
From the Syracuse (NY) Post Standard, Nov 23rd 1962---"Dental Charts Link Body to Missing Girl"...CT State Police Commissioner Leo Mulcahy reported that a comparison of dental charts "strongly suggest" that a body found in AZ in '58 could be that of Connie Smith. The remains of a female, aged approximately 13-17 years of age, were found near Grand Canyon National Park and dubbed "little Miss X" by officers investigating her death. She had been dead at least a year [note, forensics in '58 sure ain't what they are today]. Connie Smith's personal dentist spoke to a dentist in Flagstaff AZ who was examining the jaw of the recovered remains. The jaw was to be shipped to Connie's dentist for confirmation. The dentist in AZ stated he was convinced he had been examining the teeth of Connie Smith.

And that's it. I could find nothing else.

shadowangel said:
I came across some interesting info while researching another case some of you are familiar with...;)

From the Coshocton (OH) Tribune, Apr 8th 1953--"Floater's Story of Desert Murder May Solve Disappearance of Girl, 10"...27 year-old Frederick Pope confessed to the Washington OH PD that he and a companion, Jack Walker, had picked up Connie Smith in CT with the promise of taking her home to WY. They actually took her to AZ, where Walker strangled Smith and buried her along a highway in AZ. Pope and Walker then argued, at which time Pope killed Walker with a tire iron.
From the Syracuse (NY) Herald, April 9th, 1953--"Kidnap-Killing Story a Hoax"....PD reported Pope "broke down after repeated grilling" and admitted he made up the story.
From the Syracuse (NY) Post Standard, Nov 23rd 1962---"Dental Charts Link Body to Missing Girl"...CT State Police Commissioner Leo Mulcahy reported that a comparison of dental charts "strongly suggest" that a body found in AZ in '58 could be that of Connie Smith. The remains of a female, aged approximately 13-17 years of age, were found near Grand Canyon National Park and dubbed "little Miss X" by officers investigating her death. She had been dead at least a year [note, forensics in '58 sure ain't what they are today]. Connie Smith's personal dentist spoke to a dentist in Flagstaff AZ who was examining the jaw of the recovered remains. The jaw was to be shipped to Connie's dentist for confirmation. The dentist in AZ stated he was convinced he had been examining the teeth of Connie Smith.

And that's it. I could find nothing else.

Very interesting series of articles. I do not know Arizona Records procedures, but in some states, Coroner/Medical Examiner reports are maintained by the State Office of Vital Records. Somewhere in Arizona there exists a report on the remains and any final determination as to identity and disposition of remains would be there.

Today, a DNA test could be run on material held inside those teeth.

We are active in searching for the remains of a "Little Miss X" found in AZ in the 60's. The remains has been tested once, but well before DNA was available and nothing conclusive to say this was Connie. You might think it would be easy to locate her remains, however that has not been the case, so far. The CT. State Police are active in the case as well.

Someone contacted me with information on a Jane Doe found in Boulder, CO, but we feel this is not Connie Smith. So the search goes on.

I do have a contact in AZ that may have discovered some information and we are awaiting further facts.

Let's hope we find this Miss X and have her tested. Who knows she could also help to solve another family mystery if she turns out not to be Connie Smith.

Thanks for keeping this case active on the page.

Is there a link for this "Little Miss X"? I have googled her, but can't find any information. She's not on doenetwork.

hey none of the links are working? what about the teeth that he was so certin were connies did anything else come of that. when i et the chance i plan on visiting the area where she was last seen, i live about 45 minnuts from where she vanished

smile22 said:
hey none of the links are working? what about the teeth that he was so certin were connies did anything else come of that. when i et the chance i plan on visiting the area where she was last seen, i live about 45 minnuts from where she vanished

The links aren't working for me either.

This is all really interesting. I hope we can get some answers soon!

I think the links may have timed out. The substance of the report about "Little Miss X" and Connie is posted above.

how would i get in contact with tx le about little miss x?

smile22 said:
how would i get in contact with tx le about little miss x?

TX LE? Do you mean AZ? The undersheriff and sheriff of that county who were responsible are deceased, but we do have had a researcher looking into finding the location of these remains. Hopefully that will happen soon.

As I understand it, the jaw and teeth of Little Miss X were delivered to the dentist doing the comparison examination with Connie's dental records. If this is so, have you looked into seeing what became of the jaw? It may still be with the authorities where the comparison took place (the jaw may have been sent back so as to be buried with the rest of the reamins, but maybe not). Typically, the teeth are a preferred location to find DNA in skeletal remains (tooth pulp from the root).

shadowangel said:
As I understand it, the jaw and teeth of Little Miss X were delivered to the dentist doing the comparison examination with Connie's dental records. If this is so, have you looked into seeing what became of the jaw? It may still be with the authorities where the comparison took place (the jaw may have been sent back so as to be buried with the rest of the reamins, but maybe not). Typically, the teeth are a preferred location to find DNA in skeletal remains (tooth pulp from the root).

As far as I know, the authorities have been checked, we need to find out what happened after the comparison was done. These remains may have traveled to Denver, Spearfish, SD, Flagstaff, AZ or even the FBI lab in DC who knows? We know they are not in Connecticut. They could have been reburial, or are sitting on a shelf or in a drawer in an evidence room or ME's office. The two sheriff's are deceased, so it is one piece of paper at a time to see just what happened.

I would be happy if someone could locate information on the original finding in 1958 in AZ by the two hunters. And what other things were found along with this Jane Doe?

talelights said:
As far as I know, the authorities have been checked, we need to find out what happened after the comparison was done. These remains may have traveled to Denver, Spearfish, SD, Flagstaff, AZ or even the FBI lab in DC who knows? We know they are not in Connecticut. They could have been reburial, or are sitting on a shelf or in a drawer in an evidence room or ME's office. The two sheriff's are deceased, so it is one piece of paper at a time to see just what happened.

I would be happy if someone could locate information on the original finding in 1958 in AZ by the two hunters. And what other things were found along with this Jane Doe?
I'm going to take that any of the original files related to Miss X have disapperared from whatever LE authority was handling her case. I've searched NewspaperArchives.com and a few other sources I have, and that single article is all I've ever found.
It will probably come down to a visit to a library in the area for a walk through the microfilm. Someone at the libraries there, or someone from the staff of a local paper, may take an interest in the case and assist.
And, I still think a check of the funeral homes will help, its just narrowing down the list. The sheriff's department there should know which home they dealt with for body preperation (even if her remains were finally sent somewhere else for interment.

shadowangel said:
I'm going to take that any of the original files related to Miss X have disapperared from whatever LE authority was handling her case. I've searched NewspaperArchives.com and a few other sources I have, and that single article is all I've ever found.
It will probably come down to a visit to a library in the area for a walk through the microfilm. Someone at the libraries there, or someone from the staff of a local paper, may take an interest in the case and assist.
And, I still think a check of the funeral homes will help, its just narrowing down the list. The sheriff's department there should know which home they dealt with for body preperation (even if her remains were finally sent somewhere else for interment.
The library at the Northern Arisonia University did a search in the Arizonia Sun Newspapers and besides what you have already listed there seems to be little more. I am calling for the Microfilm to search 1958 and hope something turns up. As for locating the remains, we have found a number of unidentifed but now need to find a way to know which one is Little Miss X. So far, nothing, but we are not giving up. It will take some time but I feel confident we will get to these, even if we have to have them all tested!!

Thanks for the suggestions, always someone else with new eyes can open doors.

I posted those three articles wondering if there was any truth to what the guy had said, about picking up a girl in CT and taking her to AZ. If there is any truth there, it may not be Connie, but seems it could be Miss X. Could there be another missing girl from CT from that time frame, who's disappearance was overshadowed by Connie's?I e-mailed and sent a letter to America's Most Wanted, as they are set to do a story on Boulder Jane Doe. As Connie was recently mentioned as a possible match (and ruled out), I was hoping they could make mention of Little Miss X in hopes that someone's memory might be jogged about her recovery and interment.
Talelights-Have you looked into speaking to the local papers from AZ, maybe someone there reading the story will remember something? I would think they might be interested in running a story on your search, given the increasing interest in cold missing persons' cases. Or even your local paper...

shadowangel said:
I posted those three articles wondering if there was any truth to what the guy had said, about picking up a girl in CT and taking her to AZ. If there is any truth there, it may not be Connie, but seems it could be Miss X. Could there be another missing girl from CT from that time frame, who's disappearance was overshadowed by Connie's?

It is funny about the confession, as it is so close to the truth with the finding of the body, but there are a few things missing too, like where is the other body, the one he confessed to killing, the driver of the car?

As far as I know, which is not much about missing girls from that era, there were none, but… this Pope guy, said there was another girl with then when they “picked up Connie” and I have not been able to find out who is was and if she arrived home safely.

I e-mailed and sent a letter to America's Most Wanted, as they are set to do a story on Boulder Jane Doe. As Connie was recently mentioned as a possible match (and ruled out), I was hoping they could make mention of Little Miss X in hopes that someone's memory might be jogged about her recovery and interment.

Shadowangel, your ideas and assistance are greatly appreciated. I’m just not thinking out of the box. I was so close, months ago, to this case, but with nothing new, I let it slide, and now with Boulder Jane Doe, the case has once again come out of hiding. It seems to do that around this time of the year, almost like it is connected to the first discovery date of Little Miss X in 1958 and then later in November 1962 when her remains were tested against Connie Smith. I guess you never know just where this stuff comes from.
I hope America’s Most Wanted is interested I’ll drop them a note too.

Talelights
-Have you looked into speaking to the local papers from AZ, maybe someone there reading the story will remember something? I would think they might be interested in running a story on your search, given the increasing interest in cold missing persons' cases. Or even your local paper...
I do have a connection at the local paper here, she wrote a fifty-year anniversary piece on the Connie Smith case. I'll contact AZ papers to see if we can get some interest going. Might be worth a shot. Also, I think that girl, who was reported to be in the car with Pope when "they" picked up Connie might have been from Rhode Island. Lets check for any missing girls in the same time frame in Rhode Island.

I wasn't aware of the report that there was another girl in the car. I will definitely do some digging.

as far as my digging i dont belive anyone to have been missing from ri in that time period i have gone to many sites and only 2-3 people have been reported missing from ri i could be wrong though

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back