GUILTY Canada - Lisa Mitchell, 31, murdered in her Calgary home, 29 Oct 2012

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
3a9d007c-a560-4548-aec9-7e55fc341995_zps2ee54771.jpg

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...r-police-find-remains-in-house/#__federated=1

A Calgary man has been charged with second-degree murder and indignity to a body in connection with the death of his common-law wife, who disappeared in 2012, after police found what’s believed to be human remains at their Ogden duplex on Friday night.

Allan Shyback, 38, of Calgary, was arrested out of town at an undisclosed location. He was charged Saturday in the death of Lisa Michelle Mitchell, 31, and is expected to appear in court Monday.

Police say Mitchell was last seen Oct. 29, 2012 at the couple’s Ogden home in the 7600 block of 26A Street S.E.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...kept-in-home-for-2-years-police-say-1.2863151

Calgary police say the common-law husband and children of Lisa Michelle Mitchell, a missing Calgary woman, lived among what are believed to be her remains for more than two years...

"They brought a small object that was about four or five feet long by about three feet wide — it looked like it could be a Tupperware box, a large Tupperware bin," said Napane Penny, a neighbour. "I was in shock, I was horrified"...

Police will not say why Mitchell's children and visitors did not notice a body in the home in the two years since her disappearance. "There are some circumstances with where — within the house — that will be revealed during the court process that will answer that question," said Sgt. John Hebert with the Calgary Police Service.

Reactions: mrz
Two years is a ridiculously long time to acquire a search warrant, given that there already was a history of a "domestic incident".

January 2015:
Undercover officers befriended Allan Shyback before arrest in wife's death

The man accused of killing his wife and hiding her body in their family home for two years was the target of an undercover police operation.

A year-long Mr. Big sting was carried out, resulting in the charges, according to Shyback's lawyer Balfour Der.

Such operations involve undercover officers pretending to be criminals who befriend the target with the ultimate goal of eliciting a confession to the crime the target is suspected of committing, most often a homicide.

Shyback is accused of strangling Mitchell then hiding her in the basement.

Calgary police Det. Karl Sudyk testified when police searched the Ogden home on Dec. 5, 2014 they found a stack of items hiding a pile of cement.

Once investigators excavated through the cement they found a tub, duct taped shut.
Medical Examiner Dr. Jeffery Gofton testified when he received Lisa Mitchell’s body for autopsy, she was in a plastic tub in the fetal position covered with salt pellets mixed with cat litter.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://globalnews.ca/news/3378722/t...sed-of-killing-common-law-wife-lisa-mitchell/

Attachments

• bin in cement1.jpg
    bin in cement1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 87
  • bin in cement2.jpg
    bin in cement2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 88
  • bin in cement3.jpg
    bin in cement3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 92
  • bin in cement4.jpg
    bin in cement4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 89
CTV Calgary Staff
Published Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:49AM MDT
Last Updated Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:00PM MDT The trial for a Calgary man charged with murdering his partner and attempting to hide her remains began in a Calgary courtroom on Tuesday.
Allan Shyback, 40, is charged with second-degree murder and causing an indignity to a body in connection with the death of Lisa Mitchell, 31, his common-law wife.

Shyback pleaded not guilty to the charges and on the first day of the trial, the court heard from Mitchell’s mother, Peggy, who said that the pair had a rocky relationship and were ‘on and off’ for about 10 years.
The trial is expected to continue until the end of next week.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/trial-beg...ccused-of-murdering-common-law-wife-1.3373683

attachment.php

Attachments

• shyback trial.jpg
    shyback trial.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 83
A female undercover police officer laid the groundwork for a "Mr.Big" sting operation, that allegedly led to a confession by a Calgary man accused of killing his common-law wife.
On Monday, Allan Shyback , 40, pleaded not guilty to one count of second-degree murder and one count of improperly interfering with human remains in the 2012 death of his common-law partner, Lisa Mitchell.
Police launched an undercover operation dubbed "Operation Aurora" in 2013 that ultimately resulted in the confession and arrest of Shyback , said the Crown.
None of the undercover officers who were a part of Operation Aurora can be named.

Det. David Sweet told court he'd spoken with the accused twice.
The first was an interview with Shyback who was then considered a witness.
He detailed a rocky relationship between the two including blow-up arguments that included "pushing," stints of the two living separately and anxieties about trust and infidelity.

"I'm one of five potential biological fathers for my son," Shyback said.

He told the detective he was aware Mitchell had dating profiles online, and that he'd seen and heard her exchange phone calls and texts with "a lot of friends that were guys."

"She was very unwilling for me to meet or know who she was talking to," he said.

In their opening statement the Crown said Shyback confessed to strangling and burying Mitchell to an undercover officer.

Her decomposing and partially mummified body was later discovered by Calgary police in a plastic container that had been cemented in a makeshift tomb.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...cover-cop-and-an-alleged-killer-s-confession/

Attachments

• Lisa Mitchell.jpg
    Lisa Mitchell.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Lisa and Shyback.jpg
    Lisa and Shyback.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 82
Shyback has been found guilty of manslaughter in this case. His sentencing will be announced in September.
CALGARY — A judge has rejected a Calgary man's argument that he acted in self-defence after years of domestic abuse when he strangled his wife and entombed her body in their basement.

Justice Rosemary Nation found Allan Shyback guilty of the lesser offence of manslaughter rather than second-degree murder.

"The evidence raises a reasonable doubt in my mind that the accused had the intention to kill Lisa Mitchell or that he meant to cause bodily harm that he knew was likely to cause death,'' said Nation.

"In conclusion I find the accused guilty of the lesser and included offence of manslaughter of Lisa Mitchell.''

Shyback was also found guilty of causing an indignity to a body for putting Mitchell's remains in a Rubbermaid container and cementing it into a wall in the basement of their home.
Sentencing arguments are scheduled for Sept. 20. The maximum sentence for manslaughter is life in prison. The maximum for indignity to a human body is five years in prison.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/05/18/allan-shyback-trial_n_16686228.html

Calgary man who killed wife and entombed her in cement sentenced to 7 years in prison

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Rosemary Nation gave Shyback five years for manslaughter and two years to be served consecutively for indignity to a body. With the time he's already spent in custody, he has about two years and 10 months left to serve.

Several victim impact statements were read at the hearing including from Mitchell's mother, Peggy, who wrote that her grandchildren believe they will be able to live with their dad again.

"They both think mom is an angel and dad is with the police," wrote Peggy Mitchell. "They are little lost souls."

Court heard Mitchell's grandmother Janet Amos slept holding a photo of her granddaughter every night since the day she went missing. She died in her sleep last year still holding on to the picture.

7 years? Did i read that correct? I feel sick.

"he has about two years and 10 months left to serve."

Wth????

I keep seeing this when I log in. I'm so angry at this sentence. It really is a slap in the face. I mean guess he could have been found not guilty of anything but whatever.
Even if it was an accident. The lengths he went to with the voicemails to her mom. And her body being so horribly....I just don't get it. I'm pretty disgusted with this sentence. I don't feel it is justice. Jmo.
Rest in Peace Lisa. Xo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member