Photo of Arizona canyon sells for $6.5 million

zwiebel

Reaction score
The world's most expensive photo has sold for an eye-watering $6.5 million. It's a black and white photo of Antelope Canyon in Arizona, named 'Phantom', and the art reviewer at the link seems pretty outraged. He even goes so far as to say it's not art, just about. That's a risky thing to say in the art world, as very esteemed critics have tripped up doing that in the past.

I actually thought Peter Lik's photo was an x-ray until I read the description, so I'm not venturing an opinion. What do others think? Worth the money, or not?

http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...expensive-photograph-ever-hackneyed-tasteless

Attachments

• 72bfd4c6-4b19-4039-932d-fa65df58d8f5-620x372.jpeg
    72bfd4c6-4b19-4039-932d-fa65df58d8f5-620x372.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 80
Lolol everything is so snotty in the art world. Its a gorgeous picture. Not worth tons of money to me but things are only worth what you want to pay for them

Looks too much like an x-ray! I wouldn't hang it in my home even if it were to be given to me! I would imagine everyone would be asking what it is, lol!

I love the photo and would term it art. But I find the ridiculous amounts some artsy fartsy folk or richie riches with no care for art but an eye for a fancy investment will pay somewhat ludicrous.

Worth 6.5 million? No but I cannot think of a piece that I would consider worth that much.

Beautiful? Yes.

Peter Lik is a talented photographer. "Phantom" is stunning, but is it worth that much?

Is Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" worth $90mil?

Granted, I don't understand all the nuances of investment art, but 6.5 sounds a bit high. Send me around the world to photograph the sames places in Lik's portfolio & I would come home with some decent shots. I don't suppose the undisclosed buyer who tossed down 10 million bucks this week on Lik's "pictures" would be interested in noZme originals.

Jonathan Jones statement in the Guardian article gives me a lot to think about. I'm not in 100% agreement, but it's humbling:
Photography is not an art. It is a technology. We have no excuse to ignore this obvious fact in the age of digital cameras, when the most beguiling high-definition images and effects are available to millions. My iPad can take panoramic views that are gorgeous to look at. Does that make me an artist? No, it just makes my tablet one hell of a device.

The world's most expensive photo has sold for an eye-watering $6.5 million. It's a black and white photo of Antelope Canyon in Arizona, named 'Phantom', and the art reviewer at the link seems pretty outraged. He even goes so far as to say it's not art, just about. That's a risky thing to say in the art world, as very esteemed critics have tripped up doing that in the past.

I actually thought Peter Lik's photo was an x-ray until I read the description, so I'm not venturing an opinion. What do others think? Worth the money, or not?

http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...expensive-photograph-ever-hackneyed-tasteless

Very Pretty! And appropriately named.

That is stunning. It's like he's seeing through the stones to the spirit of the place.

I don't know whether I'd pay $6.5 million, though if Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" are worth $90 million, I guess that might be about the right scale. Art as investment, or as something personally owned, doesn't resonate with me. It seems like the best of art belongs to all of us and should be where we can all experience it...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back