SC SC - Sylvia Holtzclaw, 56, Eb, 61, & Margaret Barnes, 58, Greer, 16 May 2003

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
2ee595f4-df58-4a0b-a80c-427eff69de3c_zpsaea89eb7.jpg

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20130515/articles/305151024

At about 1:30 p.m. May 16, 2003, authorities believe that two suspects went into Blue Ridge Savings Bank, 330 E. Frontage Road near Interstate 85.

The Greer Police Department arrived on the scene about 15 minutes later and found the bodies of Sylvia Holtzclaw, the only bank employee on duty, and married customers James “Eb” Barnes, 61, and Margaret Barnes, 58, in a utility room in the back of the bank. All three died of gunshot wounds.

Authorities believe James Barnes, a professor at the University of South Carolina Upstate; Margaret Barnes, an employee of the National Beta Club headquarters in Spartanburg; and Holtzclaw were left in the bank by two suspects who took “very little” cash and hurriedly left the area in a bright red two-door car, according to the FBI.

Can't imagine the bank was very secure: "The bank is located in a singlewide trailer at the end of an I-85 frontage road off Highway 14." http://www.goupstate.com/article/20040516/NEWS/405160429

Also, what was the other bank employee's excuse for stepping out right before the robbery? "Bank employee Tom Begley was not inside the building when the incident occurred, but returned after hearing the alarm had been pulled"
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20070214/NEWS01/70214010/May-16-2003-3-killed-Greer-bank-heist

I drove by the bank the day this happened on the way to my parent's house...I just remember all the police and rescue trucks. I think about it every time I drive by because this place is still there but the building is starting to go downhill..... I so wish it could be solved.....

16 years after Greer bank triple murder, investigators not closer to answers

It's been 16 years since one of the Upstate’s most notorious killings.
Detectives say three people were gunned down execution style in broad daylight at the Blue Ridge Savings Bank in Greer on May 16, 2003.
The case is still unsolved and the victims’ families are not any closer to getting answers.
The abandoned building where the horrendous crime took place, still stands untouched, rusting and aging.

'Nothing is too small': Greer police renew call for information about 20-year-old homicide case

GREER, S.C. — Twenty years after a triple homicide in Greer, police are renewing their call for information about the case.

On May 16, 2003, three people were found shot to death inside the Blue Ridge Savings Bank.

Police said they responded to a panic alarm at the bank off of Interstate 85 near Highway 14 and found Sylvia Holtzclaw and Eb and Maggie Barns dead.

Police Chief Matt Hamby said in a statement, "Nothing is too small."

Chief Hamby also said, "At this point in time we absolutely need every possible communication that can be provided to us."

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Greer Police Department at (864) 848-2151 or the FBI Office in Greenville, South Carolina at (803) 511-4200.

I really wish that they could catch a break on this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back