Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop, Dec 2014 - #2

City of Sydney ‏@cityofsydney 1m1 minute ago

.@nswpolice operation at #MartinPlace. Streets r now closed in the area. #EasternSuburbs rail services suspended. Public asked to stay away

I can't believe it's still going on. Hoping they sniper him pronto and get everyone out safely.

Stay strong, Sydneysiders!

AN Iranian self-styled sheik who sent offensive letters to the families of dead Diggers and is on bail for accessory to murder was last night holding 15 people hostage in a Sydney cafe.

The 49-year-old, who lives in Sydney’s southwest, stormed the Lindt cafe in Martin Place yesterday morning, brandishing a sawn-off shotgun and sparking one of the biggest hostage dramas in the nation’s history.

The heart of Australia’s biggest city was locked down and thousands of office workers were evacuated or kept trapped in their buildings after a gunman stormed the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in the CBD about 9.40am.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/12/16/sydney-siege-gunman-identified.html

Man Haron Monis, who was granted political asylum in Australia, was described by his former lawyer as an isolated figure, who was acting alone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30481241

What a bad situation I hope everyone gets out safely. Lady on the bus in Brisbane was telling the bus driver her Aunt was in there this afternoon when I was on the way home from work.

Just a point to the folks asking why he hasn't been deported. I'm not familar with Aussie law but if I understand right, he is on trial now for the accessory to his wife's murder and the sexual assault. The crimes happened in Oz so he should have his trial there and serve time there.

I don't think the timing of this after losing in court on Friday is coincidental, IMO.

I was hoping this would have ended peacefully by the time I woke up. So terrifying!!!!!
I have said many prayers. I feel for the hostages, families and friends!!

It's 1.27am and I've got to sleep.i really hope that I wake to good news!
See you all in a few hours xo

Just a point to the folks asking why he hasn't been deported. I'm not familar with Aussie law but if I understand right, he is on trial now for the accessory to his wife's murder and the sexual assault. The crimes happened in Oz so he should have his trial there and serve time there.

I don't think the timing of this after losing in court on Friday is coincidental, IMO.
Makes sense, on both points.

He's been here since the 60's.. I think he should've been given the heave-ho after the letter-writing episode, personally.

http://www.news.com.au/national/she...artin-place-cafe/story-fncynjr2-1227156241649

Sheik Man Haron Monis is holding several people hostage at Martin Place cafe

LIVE: Police have authorised the naming of Sheik Man Haron Monis, 49, who is a self-styled preacher of Islamic State on bail for accessory to murder, as the gunman who is holding 15 terrified hostages in Sydney’s Lindt cafe.

He has a sawn-off shotgun and is understood to be a fringe Islamist, The Australian and Sky News reports.

You know what I'm proud to be here in Australia and to be welcomed here. I smile at anyone I see and I don't want to lose that enthusiasm for the country that has adopted me and I it. I will never let something like this stop me smiling at whoever I meet here. I want to see the good in everyone but sadly not this man. I think I'm trying to say that I'm not going to let one bad egg ruin it.

Fire engines have been moved inside the exclusion zone from outside it. Ambulances are lining the streets around the exclusion zone. Unable to tell if something is brewing or if this is a precautionary measure.

Ch 2 TV News

Well, this isn't going to go down well with a significant chunk of the Aussie public ....

Breaking News

Posted at 14:13
Police say they believe the man who seized hostages is Man Haron Monis - an Iranian-born cleric who has been granted asylum in Australia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-australia-30475711

We save his *advertiser censored*. And this is how he repays the kindness.

Clearly an utter psychopath.

BBM

Same here, he also has a twitter account & posted on 12th & 13th. Something about wanting to tell a story, but when you click to extend it's unavailable. MOO

Interesting that ISIS aren't leaping up and down to claim him as one of their own. Not that I can see, anyhow.

Maybe they will, when the crap hits the fan or it's all over. As is their style.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back