Is this U2 video in poor taste? Fans accuse Irish band of 'cashing in' on
The Troubles after they turn Belfast street into bomb site for new release

⁍ Filming taking place in New Lodge, an area swamped by violence in 1970s
⁍ Photos depict aftermath of a bomb blast, with debris strewn across street
⁍ Wounded actors also seen fleeing from their homes, grabbing loved ones
⁍ Twitter users condemned band for 'cashing in' on country's dark history
⁍ Band's 1983 hit focused on Bloody Sunday; British troops shot protesters

the story at the link

I'm glad it's not just me that finds the marketing behind U2 contrived and transparently manipulative.

It's one thing for a young band to release an LP like 'War' (early '83) when members are 21 or 22, in the aftermath of the hunger strikes and in the year of the Hyde Park bombing and the death of Shankill Butchers leader Lenny Murphy; quite another for a Troubles-related release by geezers in their fifties in the 'teens of a new century.

Isn't Bono too busy fixing third world poverty to trifle with a music video based on a now ended conflict? U2 inspired Infant Sorrow in so many ways IMO.

[video=youtube;2mUNSzXHRhY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mUNSzXHRhY[/video]

'Blood in the house, Blood on the street,
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.'
The shoddy workmanship (sic) of U2 lyrics has never at all improved.

As someone from Northern Ireland this offends me. My country is not like this anymore. Sure we have the odd flare up but most people are leaving the past behind. Shame U2 couldn't do the same and show Belfast for the fantastic city it is.

And by flare ups I mean protests about flags and security hoaxes, not bombs going of or mass shootings. Northern Ireland is a beautiful safe country. How dare U2 bring us back to this on an international level. Shame on them.

Irish history is swept under the rug by the rest of the world enough as it is. Why should we forget? History books still talk about the "potato famine" as if nothing else was going on.

Ah, Bono the tax evader. He preaches to the rest of us about poverty in Africa and at a time when his own country is in trouble and seeing tax hikes and cuts to public services, he moves all his money to the Netherlands to take advantage of their tax loopholes. Someone should tell him charity begins at home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back