‘MythBusters’ Stars Kari Byron, Grant Imahara & Tory Belleci Leaving Show

As a fan of the show I think this...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Well this sucks! I just found out the three are leaving the show and that Adam and Jamie will be working alone again. I'm ticked off about this. When they finished filming the new season they made the announcement. So I don't know how many shows are left with the three still on the show.

My prediction is that ratings will plummet.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/22/mythbusters-cast-kari-byron-grant-imahara-tory-belleci-leaving/

...While rumors of behind-the-scenes drama have always dogged the cast, Jamie revealed in an interview with Access Hollywood that that’s basically what happens when you work with the same people for 10 years: “We get on each other’s nerves and everything all the time, but whenever that happens, we say so and we deal with it and move on.

“There are times that we really dislike dealing with each other, but we make it work.”

And surely, on-set infighting couldn’t have been the only reason — if a reason at all — for three longtime hosts to get the axe.

In any case, Discovery is obviously making some big moves and we’re looking forward to what Season 10 of MythBusters will bring. All the best to Grant, Kari and Tory moving forward!...

I wonder what the real reason is. :waitasec:

I don't see this limiting Grant or Kari, IDK about Tory. Grant and Kari have been involved in other projects all along.

Well this sucks! I just found out the three are leaving the show and that Adam and Jamie will be working alone again. I'm ticked off about this. When they finished filming the new season they made the announcement. So I don't know how many shows are left with the three still on the show.

My prediction is that ratings will plummet.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/22/mythbusters-cast-kari-byron-grant-imahara-tory-belleci-leaving/

...While rumors of behind-the-scenes drama have always dogged the cast, Jamie revealed in an interview with Access Hollywood that that’s basically what happens when you work with the same people for 10 years: “We get on each other’s nerves and everything all the time, but whenever that happens, we say so and we deal with it and move on.

“There are times that we really dislike dealing with each other, but we make it work.”

And surely, on-set infighting couldn’t have been the only reason — if a reason at all — for three longtime hosts to get the axe.

In any case, Discovery is obviously making some big moves and we’re looking forward to what Season 10 of MythBusters will bring. All the best to Grant, Kari and Tory moving forward!...

I wonder what the real reason is. :waitasec:

$$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$$$$$

That was my first thought upon hearing about this. I wonder if they banded together in order to get paid more and Discovery wouldn't meet their demands.

wow! we watch Mythbusters tons!

I am so surprised there was behind the scenes drama...

shows how perceptive I am...

:waitasec:

Fairly old news, I've known for quite some time now. Audiences dropped, not enough money to support the whole cast.

O/T... But...

I was always amused when the cast was introduced at the beginning of the show...

And Kari, Grant, et al were named...

It always made me think of Cary Grant...

(small things amuse small minds, I guess...:giggle:)

O/T... But...

I was always amused when the cast was introduced at the beginning of the show...

And Kari, Grant, et al were named...

It always made me think of Cary Grant...

(small things amuse small minds, I guess...:giggle:)

BBM

If I had a nickel for every time a woman told me that. :sigh:

Although I like the 3 of them well enough, I am wondering if this is a move, in part, to "freshen up" the show. It has gotten stale the last few seasons. With the cost of their contracts, dwindling audience numbers, length of the series, and the not-disputed tension among the cast maybe it was a last-ditch-effort type of thing?

I listened to "Star Talk" podcast with Neil deGrasse Tyson where he interviewed Jamie and Adam. I was shocked to hear them both admit that their relationship was not like it is on screen. They basically said that they work together, but don't consider themselves friends. This fact coupled with the 3 others reported "not getting along" really makes me view "Mythbusters" in a new light.

Although I like the 3 of them well enough, I am wondering if this is a move, in part, to "freshen up" the show. It has gotten stale the last few seasons. With the cost of their contracts, dwindling audience numbers, length of the series, and the not-disputed tension among the cast maybe it was a last-ditch-effort type of thing?

I listened to "Star Talk" podcast with Neil deGrasse Tyson where he interviewed Jamie and Adam. I was shocked to hear them both admit that their relationship was not like it is on screen. They basically said that they work together, but don't consider themselves friends. This fact coupled with the 3 others reported "not getting along" really makes me view "Mythbusters" in a new light.

Here's the DeGasse Tyson interview; http://www.startalkradio.net/show/mythbusters-part-1/

I think they were friendly, but not friends. They also seemed to respect each other's work. For Jamie to invite Adam to help with the show they must have had some kind of positive relationship. I also think that the stuff you see on camera is real as far as their laughing with each other. I think they enjoy each others company in a work day environment, but aren't buddy buddy.

During the Mythbusters marathon on the Science Channel they aired a show that I never saw when it first ran. It was a behind the scenes type show. They interviewed all of the cast members; Jamie, Adam, Grant, Tory and Kari about things that have happened on the show and things that went wrong on certain myths and stuff. While they're showing a clip of an interview with Jamie he says that cast members and crew will do things just to see if they can get a rise out of him and that he doesn't like it.

Jamie's also anally retentive in cleanliness. My brother is the same way and has a hard time dealing with other people being in his house. I don't think he's ever entertained there. Jamie probably has to hold back some severe irritation and that probably gets to him and can cause tension. They showed one clip where Adam and the producer were playing with a chicken on the table. The table had been covered in paper to keep chicken poop off the table and Jamie comes up and has a tiny discussion about it. It really wasn't a yelling situation, but you could tell he was annoyed. Adam pointed out that the table had been covered with paper and that they had agreed to it earlier and they would clean it up. Jamie leaves telling them that if they don't clean it up they'll find it on their desks in the morning.

I can also see Adam getting a bit perturbed at the limelight being off him and on the other three. If you ask most men who their favorite Mythbuster is it would probably be Kari. I know it would for me.:blushing:

Another interesting thing is that they knew Tory for years before the show and the same with Grant. They never mentioned how Kari was hired.

This article talks about what happened. It's very interesting: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/19/mythbusters-interview/

Here are some excerpts:

...Keep in mind that a show’s talent cost tends to rise each year, and the 11-year-old Mythbusters is one of the longest-running series on cable—and with a larger regular returning cast than most unscripted series. (If Mythbusters were a cop drama on CBS, some characters would have been “written out” years ago by financial necessity.) In this case, the departures were also viewed as a creative opportunity to refresh the show....

They also interview Adam:

... It is true that we’re not friends. We know as much or more about each other than even close friends do because we’ve been at the center of this show for the last 12 years. That, again, is informed by a deep amount of respect. Whatever I think of the way Jamie wants to attack a project, which may drive me nuts—”Why would you build it that way?“—I also know that if I walk out of the room, Jamie would complete that project by the end of the day. He knows the same thing about me. So we know that we have the respect for each other that informs us that the job will get done regardless....

So I watched the new episode from last night and now that I know they kinda hate each other off screen it definitely effected my perception of it.

I recorded the latest Mythbusters and it doesn't have Kari, Grant or Tory on it and I don't miss them. I guess the show didn't suffer from their loss. :dunno:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan
Back