UK UK - Valerie Graves, 55, Bosham, West Sussex, 30 December 2013 *ARREST*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The story, lots of pics, and two videos at Mail link below:

Will the real Midsomer Murder ever be solved? A year after Valerie Graves was bludgeoned
to death in £1.6 million mansion, the police ask EVERY man in the area to take a DNA test

◦ Valerie Graves was murdered with a claw hammer at house in Bosham
◦ She had been house-sitting with sister and mother over Christmas period
◦ Sister Jan found her dead in room on December 30 after she hadn't roused
◦ Killer remains at large after extensive investigations and 9,500 interviews
◦ Police are asking all men over 17 who live or work nearby to take DNA test
◦ They say this will help eliminate as many people as possible from inquiry

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1174...eening_as_part_of_major_murder_investigation/

Sussex Police investigating the murder of Valerie Graves are reminding men with connections to Bosham that a DNA screening facility will be open in the village from 10am to 8pm tomorrow as well as on the following four weekdays...

More than 500 men have already come forward since the screening began on Wednesday and detectives hope others will choose Sunday as a convenient day to come...

Police have issued guarantees that they will only use the samples obtained to check against this particular crime and their DNA profile will not appear on any database.

This is a strange one. No-one in the house heard anything yet the attack sounds sustained.

A man has been arrested in Romania in connection with the murder of a woman who was found bludgeoned to death in 2013 at the Sussex village home she was house-sitting for friends.

Cristian Sabou, 28, a Romanian national, was detained in the northern town of Dej, near Cluj-Napoca, on Wednesday morning, said Sussex police, as part of a major investigation into the murder of Valerie Graves, 55, in Bosham, West Sussex.

Graves, an artist, had been staying at the property while the owners were away over Christmas. She was found dead in a bedroom on 30 December 2013 with head and facial injuries.

Valerie Graves. Photograph: Family Handout/PA

Detectives from the Surrey and Sussex major crime team were present when Sabou was arrested on Wednesday morning by Romanian police, who served a European arrest warrant which had been authorised by a district judge in the UK.

His extradition is now being sought through the Romanian courts and he is due to appear in court in the city of Cluj-Napoca to face extradition proceedings.

Man arrested in Romania over 2013 murder of woman in Sussex

I wonder if it's just coincidence that this guy, now 28, would have been around 22 years old at the time -

A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of her murder at the time but was later released without charge.

Man, 28, is arrested in Romania over murder of woman found dead in bed | Daily Mail Online

15869404-7232165-image-a-40_1562765058008.jpg

Officers entered the property and took Sabou into custody, pictured right, this morning

This is good news, and hopefully will result in a conviction.

I watched the episode of 'Donal Macintyre: Unsolved' about this case recently, which gives some background information and was interesting. It's available on tv catch-up in the UK, and on YouTube here:

He has confessed: Burglar's bombshell 'I killed her' confession after attacking gran with hammer Burglary gone wrong.

I want to apologise. I am really sorry.
I was under the impression that there was no one in the house. I was 21, I was very young and immature. I did not have much money and it was my first time in England. She had been lying in bed when she woke up, she surprised me and I panicked.

I never meant to kill anybody. I want my wife to know what happened. It was an accident, I thought everybody was away.

The court agreed he should return to the UK to face justice but that he must serve any sentence in Romania, his home country.

[...] ...But he admitted taking the weapon, a claw hammer, with him to the house.

During the 45-minute hearing it emerged Sabou had continued to live close to the house in Bosham for five years after the killing.

Sabou’s lawyer Cristina Radu said he had been “paying his taxes” while working nearby.

It is understood he then lived in Croydon, south London, and Bognor Regis, West Sussex, before fleeing back to Romania.

Valerie Graves murder: Fugitive burglar confesses to ‘Midsomer’ killing

I wonder if that 5 years is an error in translation - unless he only spent 6 months this year living in Croydon and Bognor Regis, and very recently fled.

A man arrested in Romania on suspicion of the 2013 murder of Valerie Graves in Bosham has been extradited to the UK today.

Romanian national Cristian Sabou, 27, has been transferred into the custody of Sussex Police and will appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on Saturday morning (20 July), police confirmed.

Valerie Graves murder: Suspect brought to UK ahead of court appearance

A man has pleaded guilty to the murder of a grandmother who was bludgeoned to death six years ago.

Valerie Graves, 55, was killed in a burglary-gone-wrong at a property in Smugglers Lane, Bosham, West Sussex, on 30 December 2013.

At Lewes Crown Court, 27-year-old Cristian Sabou, of Dej, Romania, admitted murder and was jailed for life with a minimum of 23 years.

[...]

Sentencing Sabou, Judge Christine Laing QC said: "Rather than simply running away in the hope you could not be identified by a woman waking from sleep you conducted this horrific attack on Ms Graves.

"It was your dishonesty and greed that took you to the house. It was your cowardice and lack of morality that caused you to kill Valerie Graves."

She told him he would serve a minimum term of 23 years and 272 days.

Ms Graves was a mother of two who was living in the Scottish Borders before moving to West Sussex to be nearer to family.

In a statement, her family said: "We have had to endure six years of waiting, not knowing if anyone would ever be brought to justice for this cowardly act.

"Val, our mum, was very much loved by our family and is sorely missed by all of us. She was a kind and caring person who had little conflict in her life. Her murder was incomprehensible to us all.

"Sadly, Val's mother passed away never knowing that justice has been served."

Burglar admits house-sitter murder

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member