ID - 2 year boy accidentally shoots and kills mother in walmart in ths US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrying a loaded firearm loose in a purse with no safety is foolish with kids around.

Especially if you are browsing around in a store likely with your purse and 2 year old in the cart together.

There are enough holster options for women to be able to carry concealed with ANY apparel on. Thigh, ankle, hip, back...they even have bra holsters.

It's sad, but its a foolish mistake that was entirely preventable.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

"Carrying a loaded firearm loose in a purse with no safety is foolish anytime, ever."

fixed that for you.

I'm not going to argue with people's preference for carrying a gun. Safety on, safety off, loaded, unloaded...that's your choice but your choice should have other people's safety in mind.

Ideally, regardless of if that gun was ready to fire or not it should have been in a holster on her body with a 2 year present.

There's nothing wrong with a loaded gun in a purse. My mother, a Realtor, carried hers that way for 35 years without incident. However she was showing houses to adults in sometimes unsavory parts of town... not caring for children.

My dad is a retired state trooper. He carried on and off duty loaded and ready to go. But again, he wasn't running a nursery.

Regardless of what the situation is, guns should never be accessible to children.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

All JMO and i dont want to get into any sort of debate either. Just some opinions.

This is such a sad story because it was preventable.

A child that can access the weapon when the parent is not looking is an accident waiting to happen. Children are curious and mischevous at times. Weapons should never be easily accessible to children like in this sad story.

Whatever it takes to accomplish that. I like the idea of a holster on-body if the person feels they need to have their protection with them while they shop with their children.

In the home, it gets even more dangerous because as kids grow up, they will sometimes go on the hunt for the weapon even if you think they never would do such a thing. Sometimes it is just curiousity and they want to see it up close when parents are not around. Sometimes it is even worse and they want to shoot it while parents are not around. Situations like that are accidents waiting to happen that are preventable.

For me personally, I finally invested in a very large 5 foot tall gun safe that has all my weapons. I dont have any children either so it is a little easier for me but when we have visitors it is nice to know all my weapons are in 1 place locked in that safe.

To be honest, I am not sure what I would do in the evening if I had children because I do like to keep one nearby when I sleep. I suppose I would invest in some sort of quick-entry safe and have it near the bed. I think they are making fancy ones now. Not sure if they make one that can open by fingerprint or not, but I sure would not want to be fooling with a key or combination lock if someone was breaking into my house. Quick and easy access is important for homeowner safety, but of course so is child safety, so there is the dilemna that gets us in trouble sometimes.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/30/idaho-toddler-shoots-kills-mother-walmart

oh my gosh, coworker told me about this one but my day was so hectic I could not read about it til now. What on earth are people thinking? Leaving a loaded gun no safety loose in a purse? Or, as in other cases, out on coffee tables, dressers, under pillows, etc. I mean for goodness sakes?! How many of these tragic accidental shootings must we have before people really truly "get it"?

It's a wonder an innocent shopper wasn't shot and killed when the gun went off, or a child. The thought of people carrying loaded guns into stores makes me nervous. A lot of my female friends carry handguns because the area of Flint, MI, is the most dangerous in the United States. I won't own or carry a gun. I don't want to take the chance of any kind of accident happening. At my home, I have a German shepherd, Doberman pinscher, lab, and several pit bulls. I doubt if anyone would try to come into my house without permission. There are 10 large dogs in my house. When we go somewhere at night, I take my German shepherd in the car with me whenever possible.

In neighboring Washington state, a 3-year-old boy was seriously injured in November when he was accidentally shot in the face by a 4-year-old neighbor. The boy was wounded as the children played in a home in Lake Stevens, about 30 miles north of Seattle.

In April, a 2-year-old boy apparently shot and killed his 11-year-old sister while they and their siblings played with a gun inside a Philadelphia home. Authorities said the gun was believed to have been brought into the home by the mother's boyfriend.
From Blondie in Spokane's DM link above. (And there've been other similar incidents in the not-too-distant past.)

"Carrying a loaded firearm loose in a purse with no safety is foolish anytime, ever."

fixed that for you.

Terrible preventable tragedy.
Some handguns have no safety. Revolvers come to mind.
Apparently mom had no `real`control of her handgun.

Whether one is a hunter, a Cop or a CCW citizen, one is morally responsible for "controlling" their firearm.

These things will continue to occur when a populace undereducated about safety measures is in effect encouraged to carry weapons whose purpose when used is to injure and kill.

Who'd have thought that Hayden, Idaho was such a crime infested place that a loaded handgun was needed for an outting to Wal-Mart?

My sympathies to the children.

These things will continue to occur when a populace undereducated about safety measures is in effect encouraged to carry weapons whose purpose when used is to injure and kill.

I know, I encourage all law abiding citizens to carry a gun, it's way lighter than trying to tote me, or other cops bigger than me, or wait for me to get there.

Who'd have thought that Hayden, Idaho was such a crime infested place that a loaded handgun was needed for an outting to Wal-Mart?

My sympathies to the children.

Crime happens anywhere. However I believe she was from out of town.

Some handguns have no safety, but the ones that don't take a certain amount of pressure to pull the trigger...would a two year old have that kind of strength?

Color me clueless and genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123