Alaska: 3 men see snout, free moose buried in avalanche

al66pine

Reaction score
"ANCHORAGE, Alaska •
There's an extra moose alive in southcentral Alaska thanks to three snowmobilers who freed it from an avalanche.

Marty Mobley, Rob Uphus and Avery Vucinich, residents of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, on Sunday went riding on the west side of Hatcher Pass about 55 miles northeast of
Anchorage, Alaska Dispatch News reported. With Alaska's unseasonably warm weather, they were wary of avalanches, Mobley said.The came upon a hillside that had both moose tracks and ski tracks. The latter stood out because they don't see many skiers in the area."
http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/men-see-snout-free-moose-buried-in-avalanche/article_67ed324d-c23f-5c72-a7cf-52556588253b.html

To access full article, may need to answer 1- 3 question survey. If anyone finds link w no survey-wall or pay-wall, pls post.

Glad these folks were alert to the moose's plight.

ETA, pic:
avalanche-moose.jpg

Link to story, no paywall: http://woodtv.com/2015/01/02/3-men-see-snout-free-moose-buried-in-avalanche/

“It slid at least 1,500 to 2,000 feet down the mountain when it got caught in the avalanche,” Mobley said.

Mobley said the men couldn’t leave the moose to die.

“Besides, we deal with a lot of avalanches and a lot of snow,” he said. “That kind of karma is something we don’t pass up.”

Thanks for posting! Great story!

Awww love it! He knew they were helping him...

Great story. The moose knew they were helping him.

I once saw a baby skunk twirling around in circles during broad daylight, and when I got closer I noticed it had a yogurt container stuck over it's head.

So I pulled it off while thinking 'well I'm for sure getting sprayed in the face for this' but the little fella just looked at me for a second and skedaddled away. They know when we're helping them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartowl
Back