To watch the execution or not watch?

hipmomx2

Reaction score
I am not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place so if not, I apologize and please let me know. I'm interested in your thoughts and feelings on this. When I was 6, June 30, 1985, my life long friend, Tuesday Correll, was killed by her father, Jerry Correll. He also killed her mother, grandmother, and aunt that night. My parents were friends with them long before she and I were born.
He received the death penalty on all 4 counts. 30 years have gone by without justice and though he still does not have a date, I must decide if I will attend the execution. His appeals have been exhausted at all levels so it is, in all likelihood, quickly approaching. I am very pro death penalty, especially for him. I just don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't give me the sense of closure, or the feeling of justice that I have waited for for so long.
I would love to know your opinions.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-12-09/news/0340670047_1_correll_blood_divorce

oh I believe you will feel closure and a great feeling that this monster will never ever murder any
living person AGAIN! Just think of it as his invitation to meet his maker.:happydance:

oh I believe you will feel closure and a great feeling that this monster will never ever murder any
living person AGAIN! Just think of it as his invitation to meet his maker.:happydance:
I'd gladly do it myself!

I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your childhood friend. What a horrible crime. As far watching the execution, I think the only way I might be able to watch, if I were in your shoes, was to be there as a sign that my friend and her family were not forgotten. As for feeling whether or not justice was served, I'd have to rely on faith, that his maker was giving out justice in the minutes after his death.

You are a good friend for never forgetting Tuesday. I hope you find peace`in whatever decision you make.

I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your childhood friend. What a horrible crime. As far watching the execution, I think the only way I might be able to watch, if I were in your shoes, was to be there as a sign that my friend and her family were not forgotten. As for feeling whether or not justice was served, I'd have to rely on faith, that his maker was giving out justice in the minutes after his death.

You are a good friend for never forgetting Tuesday. I hope you find peace`in whatever decision you make.

Beautifully said.....thank you

I am not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place so if not, I apologize and please let me know. I'm interested in your thoughts and feelings on this. When I was 6, June 30, 1985, my life long friend, Tuesday Correll, was killed by her father, Jerry Correll. He also killed her mother, grandmother, and aunt that night. My parents were friends with them long before she and I were born.
He received the death penalty on all 4 counts. 30 years have gone by without justice and though he still does not have a date, I must decide if I will attend the execution. His appeals have been exhausted at all levels so it is, in all likelihood, quickly approaching. I am very pro death penalty, especially for him. I just don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't give me the sense of closure, or the feeling of justice that I have waited for for so long.
I would love to know your opinions.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1985-12-09/news/0340670047_1_correll_blood_divorce

In my honest opinnion I think it would help you get some closure However I personally would like for you to know that there is litteraly no right or wrong decission that you will make. we can all give you our oppinions but only you know what you went through that day or night just make sure you make that decission for you and your feelings alone not for familly members or friends only you can decide which you wanna do and remember that either way u decide its ok to decide that way theres no wrong doing here ..anyway hope that helps a little I truly wish you all the best with whatever one you pick to do....

Thank you! I'm...looking for the words...I'm in shock at how you so accurately grasped the situation. The absolute number one reason I want to go is because he wiped out that family. Most of the rest of them have passed away. I came across a request for a pen pal that he had written and he said that "your family forgets about you in here." No. No, you killed them. I want him to know "I see you. I know what you are. I care. I haven't forgotten."
So, you are absolutely correct. Thank you.

They were at our house 2 days before this happened and my parents said they saw no signs. Idk if this is allowed but if you want to know more, I posted my story about it on my blog http://truemurders.org/ I've really struggled with this. Thank you all for your support.

Personally, I don't think I could ever get any sense of satisfaction/closure from watching another human being die, no matter how heinous their crimes were. I could probably get some closure from hearing news of their passing, but actually watching it is very different. Execution is an ugly thing and I know that visual would be burned into my mind - and I'd rather move on without ever having to see my loved one's killer again, instead of having yet another painful memory of them etched into my brain.

So it obviously isn't for me, although I can understand why a victim's loved ones may want to watch the execution. However, I think that if you have doubts about whether you should watch it, you probably shouldn't. Like I said, execution is ugly (no matter how clean or peaceful it looks) and you should only watch if you feel strong enough to handle that, the dredging up of those memories, etc. If you don't feel strong enough, that's okay.

I really can't say whether you'll feel closure afterwards. Many friends/family members of the victim go and they do get that relief. But many others go expecting to get closure/satisfaction out of it, only to be disappointed when it was over and that relief never came. In my opinion, closure only comes after a lot of reflection, thinking, grieving, therapy and time - and even then, it never comes for some people. So all I can say is don't go into it expecting that relief, because if you do and you find that you still don't have it, you WILL be disappointed.

But you can still go to support Tuesday's friends and family who will be there, without necessarily having to watch the execution itself. That's probably what I would do.

Personally, I don't think I could ever get any sense of satisfaction/closure from watching another human being die, no matter how heinous their crimes were. I could probably get some closure from hearing news of their passing, but actually watching it is very different. Execution is an ugly thing and I know that visual would be burned into my mind - and I'd rather move on without ever having to see my loved one's killer again, instead of having yet another painful memory of them etched into my brain.

So it obviously isn't for me, although I can understand why a victim's loved ones may want to watch the execution. However, I think that if you have doubts about whether you should watch it, you probably shouldn't. Like I said, execution is ugly (no matter how clean or peaceful it looks) and you should only watch if you feel strong enough to handle that, the dredging up of those memories, etc. If you don't feel strong enough, that's okay.

I really can't say whether you'll feel closure afterwards. Many friends/family members of the victim go and they do get that relief. But many others go expecting to get closure/satisfaction out of it, only to be disappointed when it was over and that relief never came. In my opinion, closure only comes after a lot of reflection, thinking, grieving, therapy and time - and even then, it never comes for some people. So all I can say is don't go into it expecting that relief, because if you do and you find that you still don't have it, you WILL be disappointed.

But you can still go to support Tuesday's friends and family who will be there, without necessarily having to watch the execution itself. That's probably what I would do.
I appreciate the feedback. I didn't realize that just by me writing this post, means I have doubts. But your exactly right. I guess I do, I just feel like that means I have sympathy for him, or that it shows weakness in myself. It's not watching death that gives me pause, I majored in Criminal Justice, probably because of this, its the second part of what you said. It terrifies me that I'd walk out of there without feeling this big sense of relief or closure that I have hoped for ever since I was contacted about attending. I have seen so many times on shows like Dateline, where the family walks out disappointed. Not that I'd rejoice either. He does have a soul and I trt to remember that but I feel a huge sense of responsibility to the family, mostly self inflicted, to make sure they represented. I guess I'm searching for something that I haven't found yet. Maybe I want someone to tell me "go, you'll feel much better," when, like you said, that haa to come from within. Sorry I'm rambling. I really do appreciate your words.

Closure is b.s.

I wouldn't. I think I would honor my friend and her family that day in another way. I would spend the day planting in her name or doing something for others in her name but I would not take on that day and honor her killer with my presence.

JMO

I wouldn't. I think I would honor my friend and her family that day in another way. I would spend the day planting in her name or doing something for others in her name but I would not take on that day and honor her killer with my presence.

JMO
Wow, THAT'S definitely something to think about. It certainly seems like doing that would be a day well spent. I should have thought that myself but I'm really glad you did. Thanks. Very good idea

Closure is b.s.

Wow, THAT'S definitely something to think about. It certainly seems like doing that would be a day well spent. I should have thought that myself but I'm really glad you did. Thanks. Very good idea

Closure is b.s.

I have seen way too many interviews with families after an execution and the majority all say it doesn't change a thing. There is no closure from such a thing.

I think if you're pro-death penalty then this is part of the deal.

I really hesitated before posting this, but here goes. I know someone who did watch the execution of a man who murdered one of her family members. I hope I'm representing her thoughts correctly when I say that it provided no closure for her. She did it to "see it through" but there was no comfort in it, other than knowing the murderer could never hurt anyone again (and of course, that would be true whether she witnessed the execution or not).

As CanManEh said upthread, there is no right or wrong answer to your question. I am so very sorry for your loss and the burden you've carried all these years. I hope that you find peace in whatever your decision is.

I think if you're pro-death penalty then this is part of the deal.

Im not sure. I am pro Death penalty for certain cases but still would not ever want to see anyone put to death. It is an imprint I don't need on my life.

I really hesitated before posting this, but here goes. I know someone who did watch the execution of a man who murdered one of her family members. I hope I'm representing her thoughts correctly when I say that it provided no closure for her. She did it to "see it through" but there was no comfort in it, other than knowing the murderer could never hurt anyone again (and of course, that would be true whether she witnessed the execution or not).

As CanManEh said upthread, there is no right or wrong answer to your question. I am so very sorry for your loss and the burden you've carried all these years. I hope that you find peace in whatever your decision is.
I'm very grateful to you for sharing that. Its a subject that just isn't up for discussion with my family and so I value your thoughts. Its a very hard decision to make.

Closure is b.s.

Im not sure. I am pro Death penalty for certain cases but still would not ever want to see anyone put to death. It is an imprint I don't need on my life.
And I get that too. I go back and forth. The imprint I can't get out of my mind is that little pink and white casket following 3 others. Nobody wins in this. His family also suffers. Idk

Closure is b.s.

What a horrific crime! I'm sorry that your innocence was lost at such a tender age. When I think of myself at age six, I cannot imagine trying to understand losing a friend to violence. And by her own daddy..... Bless you for the burden put upon you. And your parents for having to try & explain.

Reading the responses gives a lot to think about. I talked to someone whose father was killed for $200 in his pocket. He was a man who would & did give to anyone in need. She did not attend the execution, but awaited the call with several close friends in a somber evening gathering.

In your place,I think I may choose to go, to represent Tuesday. But then, I really like the idea of making that day a tribute to good, done in remembrance. I also wish you peace in your decision.

Does Correll know you? What if you wrote him a letter while there is still some time for him to have to think about what you have to say? ... Like some of us don't give a doodle-damn that he has been forgotten while he waited in prison for his fate. And his life has been extended a lot more years than he deserves. And how you learned what happened to your little playmate & struggled to understand. And what you have accomplished in your life & that Tuesday should have been there too & had birthday parties & proms & boyfriends & graduations. And if you are there to witness his execution or not, you represent what he stole from his own daughter.

I think that would be difficult letter to read. And I think he deserves it..... I don't care that he was addicted to drugs & had an alcoholic father; he slaughtered three generations of a family because he was jealous & insecure. Rather, I'm outraged that it took so long to exhaust his appeals in the system. ( This rant from a person who was so undecided about the death penalty, I spent time on both sides of the street (pros on one side, cons on the other) in front of the governor's mansion during the protests when Spenkelink was about to be the 1st to go to Old Sparky after many years capitol punishments had been on hold. Now, I fully support the death penalty...... ok noZ, tell us how you really feel. )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back