Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered #3

imjustagirl123

Justice for Morgan and Hannah
Reaction score
An AirAsia flight from Indonesia to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic controllers, according to local media.

The plane had asked for an unusual route before it lost contact.
An Indonesian transport official confirmed the plane was an Airbus 320-200 and that 162 passengers and crew were on board.

http://news.sky.com/story/1398597/contact-lost-with-airasia-flight-to-singapore

ETA:
A statement on AirAsia's Facebook page said: "AirAsia Indonesia regrets to confirm that flight QZ8501 from Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control at 0724hrs this morning.

"At the present time we unfortunately have no further information regarding the status of the passengers and crew members on board, but we will keep all parties informed as more information becomes available.

"The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200 with the registration number PK-AXC. At this time, search and rescue operations are in progress and AirAsia is cooperating fully and assisting the rescue service."

The airline has set up an emergency call centre for family or friends of those who may have been on board the aircraft. The number is: +622129850801.

1421003182265.jpg

The tail section of the Air Asia flight QZ8501 is prepared to be loaded onto a truck at port in Kumai, Indonesia

And just to put this info on the new thread ... where the search is, to date. It is nearly 4am Monday morning in the area right now.

"The navy divers in Jadayat state boat have succeeded in finding a very important instrument, the black box of AirAsia QZ8501," said Tonny Budiono, , a navigation director for the transport ministry.

"The black boxes are in a crushed part of the aircraft debris, making it very difficult for the team of divers," said Mr Budiono.

"Because of time constraints, (we) have decided to retrieve the black boxes tomorrow morning by gradually shifting these layers of aircraft body debris."

But if that fails, Mr Budiono said divers would lift the debris using inflatable balloons, the same technique used to lift the tail section on Saturday.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/airasia-crash-divers-find-black-box-20150111-12m4f8.html

1421003182265.jpg

The tail section of the Air Asia flight QZ8501 is prepared to be loaded onto a truck at port in Kumai, Indonesia

And just to put this info on the new thread ... where the search is, to date. It is nearly 4am Monday morning in the area right now.

"The navy divers in Jadayat state boat have succeeded in finding a very important instrument, the black box of AirAsia QZ8501," said Tonny Budiono, , a navigation director for the transport ministry.

"The black boxes are in a crushed part of the aircraft debris, making it very difficult for the team of divers," said Mr Budiono.

"Because of time constraints, (we) have decided to retrieve the black boxes tomorrow morning by gradually shifting these layers of aircraft body debris."

But if that fails, Mr Budiono said divers would lift the debris using inflatable balloons, the same technique used to lift the tail section on Saturday.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/airasia-crash-divers-find-black-box-20150111-12m4f8.html

Thanks SouthAussie for all your updates they are always much appreciated. I hope the weather is calm enough for them to get the boxes up & of course any remains and then wreckage in the coming days.

Russia leaving the search now:

"In yet another new development that adds to the media confusion, an official of Russian team taking part in the search operation confirmed on the finding of the blackbox, saying that its whereabouts is around the Karimata Strait.

He, however said that the blackbox was yet to be able to be lifted up to surface.

"The blackbox has already found. But according to information that I received, it cannot be lifted up yet," the military expert at Russia's State of Emergency Ministry Edward Chizikov told a press conference in East Jakarta air forces base of Halim Perdanakusumah on Sunday.

With the finding of the blackbox, Edward declared that Russia mission in the operation to evacuate debris and bodies of from the crashed AirAsia plane has finished. "

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-01/11/c_127377265.htm

here are the coordinates from this article

"Prior to the press conference, a press release by Indonesia's Transport Ministry said that the blackbox of the plane was believed to be located at 03:37:21 South and 109:42:42 East and wedged between pieces of wreckage."

Russia leaving the search now:

"In yet another new development that adds to the media confusion, an official of Russian team taking part in the search operation confirmed on the finding of the blackbox, saying that its whereabouts is around the Karimata Strait.

He, however said that the blackbox was yet to be able to be lifted up to surface.

"The blackbox has already found. But according to information that I received, it cannot be lifted up yet," the military expert at Russia's State of Emergency Ministry Edward Chizikov told a press conference in East Jakarta air forces base of Halim Perdanakusumah on Sunday.

With the finding of the blackbox, Edward declared that Russia mission in the operation to evacuate debris and bodies of from the crashed AirAsia plane has finished. "

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-01/11/c_127377265.htm

here are the coordinates from this article

"Prior to the press conference, a press release by Indonesia's Transport Ministry said that the blackbox of the plane was believed to be located at 03:37:21 South and 109:42:42 East and wedged between pieces of wreckage."

I am not surprised that others are leaving/have left the mission. I have not read one word of thanks from Indonesia for the efforts and expense put in by the other nations. Whenever anything is achieved, Indonesia only speaks of its own crews and its own ships. The only way we have known that all of those other many, many search ships and planes have achieved anything at all is from scant reports by media from other countries.

It is a darn shame, and quite discourteous imo.

Official word on anything can only come out of Indonesia. We have no idea when their press conferences are ... we just get a few sentences from them after they happen. I have not seen anything like it before in the various air crashes and disasters that I have followed.

ETA: And now they are going to take the black boxes back to Jakarta to interrogate the info. Do they even have the facilities to do that? The last I heard, during the initial MH370 search, was that Singapore, South Korea and Australia were the only countries in this area that had those facilities.

now listen carefully to the video (CBS) I was pretty sure I heard:

'' search and rescue' first thought they saw waving when they saw first bodies in water''

((the first time they found bodies and debris before any were recovered))

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-significant-finding-yet-in-search-for-airasia-jetliner/

Yes, he says "At first he and his crew thought the bodies they saw in the water were waving for help." :(

(I have to say, as I watched the man in the water (first time I have seen that) one of his leg looks as though it is swimming slowly but rhythmically, keeping afloat.)

Yes, he says "At first he and his crew thought the bodies they saw in the water were waving for help." :(

(I have to say, as I watched the man in the water (first time I have seen that) one of his leg looks as though it is swimming slowly but rhythmically, keeping afloat.)
Could it possibly be the currents of the sea giving this impression? I would hate to think there were survivors who were alive for many hours then succumbed to drowning awaiting help.

:(

MOO

Thank you.....nearly fell from my perch when I heard that. I appreciate the confirmation.

It was a co pilot of a search plane that said that....((bet it was not an Indonesian search plane MOO))

That was the first time I heard that 'video' .....I was looking for more of what you were describing as the thankless tasks performed by other nations on behalf of Indonesia when that link appeared from CBS.

thank you.....nearly fell from my perch when I heard that I appreciate the confirmation.

it was a co pilot of a search plane that said that....((bet it was not an Indonesian search plane MOO))

That was the first time I heard that 'video' .....I was looking for more of what you were describing as the thankless tasks performed by other nations on behalf of Indonesia when that link appeared from CBS.

Having seen that, I also agree with what others said in the previous thread. Removing shoes and outerwear is the first thing I was taught to do when I did a lifesaving course many moons ago. Get rid of the clothes that will weigh you down and *advertiser censored* your ability to stay afloat. Unless he was wearing a robe that floated off, why was he not dressed as the other people found floating were?

Having seen that, I also agree with what others said in the previous thread. Removing shoes and outerwear is the first thing I was taught to do when I did a lifesaving course many moons ago. Get rid of the clothes that will weigh you down and *advertiser censored* your ability to stay afloat. Unless he was wearing a robe that floated off, why was he not dressed as the other people found floating were?

bbm: Exactly!!

Could it possibly be the currents of the sea giving this impression? I would hate to think there were survivors who were alive for many hours then succumbed to drowning awaiting help.

:(

MOO

It is a quite slow, rhythmic action, back and forth, I'm not sure that the currents go back and forth like that out in the ocean. Near a beach, yes, but in the ocean don't the currents tend to flow primarily in one direction? Until the tide turns - then they flow the other way for a bit if they are close-ish to shore?

In lifesaving, you are taught to expend as little energy as possible, and keep yourself afloat. I would hate to think anyone was alive too, to try to endure the long wait ... but that slide/float was deployed by someone - in the opinion of the aircraft engineers (via emirates1957).

It is a quite slow, rhythmic action, back and forth, I'm not sure that the currents go back and forth like that out in the ocean. Near a beach, yes, but in the ocean don't the currents tend to flow primarily in one direction? Until the tide turns - then they flow the other way for a bit if they are close-ish to shore?

In lifesaving, you are taught to expend as little energy as possible, and keep yourself afloat. I would hate to think anyone was alive too, to try to endure the long wait ... but that slide/float was deployed by someone - in the opinion of the aircraft engineers (via emirates1957).

floating ((drownproofing style even)) face down is wise at the equator.....sunburn is hellaciously quick there ...I could see a person alternating their ''style'' to keep cool

floating ((drownproofing style even)) face down is wise at the equator.....sunburn is hellaciously quick there ...I could see a person alternating their ''style'' to keep cool

Well, we will never know ... unless he was the one and only autopsied person so far. And even then, would they tell us? Somehow, I doubt it.

(I think I would spend a fair bit of time on my stomach if I was saving myself - keep an eye out for stingrays and other creatures of the sea.)

Well, we will never know ... unless he was the one and only autopsied person so far. And even then, would they tell us? Somehow, I doubt it.

Am unsure if he was in the first three that was recovered and I do agree that results of autopsy (if one was done) would be kept under wraps.

I've had drown proofing training and was thrown in complete in clothing, boots and rifle around my neck. Yes the first impulse is to get those damn heavy wet clothes and boots off. You can make flotation devices from wet clothing though, which is what I thought he might have around his neck.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back