UK UK - Fears of a serial killer in Manchester dumping in Canals

Mrs G Norris

Reaction score
Serial killer 'could be prowling the streets and dumping bodies in canals' expert claims

“Canals are not popular suicide spots, especially for men. They are, however, popular dumping sites. And water can be a sure way to erase DNA evidence.

"Suffolk strangler Steve Wright dumped some of his prostitute victims in water so any traces of him would be washed away."

Police have played down his belief that a serial killer could be on the loose, insisting each individual case is investigated thoroughly, the Manchester Evening News reports.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "Only after a robust investigation into the circumstances of each death would investigators deem one to be 'non-suspicious' and pass the file to the coroner.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/serial-killer-could-prowling-streets-4959694

A PREDATORY serial killer could be prowling the streets after an “alarming” number of corpses were dragged out of waterways in the UK.

The Mirror reports that a total of 61 bodies have been pulled from the Manchester canals over the past 6 years, many found near the city’s gay village.
“It is extremely unlikely that such an alarming number of bodies found in the canals is the result of accidents or suicides,” Professor Craig Jackson, from Birmingham University said.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe...moved-from-canal/story-fnh81p7g-1227181828196

Will be worth keeping an eye on.

So what are they putting all the bodies they've retrieved down to? Because, Manchester?

So what are they putting all the bodies they've retrieved down to? Because, Manchester?
Down to Smiths refusing to re-form. Mozza!! OK, not. Perhaps, like here in U.S., males tend to get drunk and fall in nearby waterways? Perhaps that wouldn't explain the, erm, actual murder victims. Yet canals are so handy for disposing of one's problems....labor-saving, as mentioned, etc.

This is probably a combination of drunkenness, fighting, and maybe a some murders. I would certainly avoid the canal paths if I was drunk. They are very badly lit and the paths are very narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down to Smiths refusing to re-form. Mozza!! OK, not. Perhaps, like here in U.S., males tend to get drunk and fall in nearby waterways? Perhaps that wouldn't explain the, erm, actual murder victims. Yet canals are so handy for disposing of one's problems....labor-saving, as mentioned, etc.

Yes, perhaps it's all down to the same mystery illness which inflicts Morrissey whenever he is about to set foot on stage ..

After I'd read over this thread, I had a thought. Then I read read a link linked-to in one of the stories from Mrs G Norris at the start of the thread and it basically said what I was thinking about.

I'm fairly certain that these 50+ people in the canal aren't the victims of "a" (as in single) serial killer. It sounds like many of these folks, gay or straight, could have been the victims of muggings/robberies that went wrong (when are they "right?").
I think it would be more likely to be a large group of (non-affiliated) ruffians that try to take advantage of people leaving bars.

Anyone who leaves a bar/pub that's had something/anything to drink can make very easy victims. Gays do even moreso (especially if they're alone).

Councillor Pat Karney to go out on gay village patrol after 15th canal death and safety fears over 'cruising' hotspot
Manchester Evening News, 1/25/2014
Last Sunday Steven Cain, 25, became the 15th person since 2000 to be pulled from the waters around Piccadilly.

He fell in during a botched robbery and died two days later.

Muggers target the secluded Undercroft area near Dale Street - where he fell in - because they believe gay men will not report the crime for fear of being outed.
Over the last decade and a half there has been a steady string of victims dragged from the canal in Piccadilly basin, many of them victims of street robberies.

In that time fewer and fewer openly gay men have frequented the Undercroft area, says Coun Karney.

He added: “We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg in terms of these robberies, because for whatever reason, a lot of these men don’t want to report it to the police and the robbers come back because they depend on that.

I am sure some maybe pointed to this but I watch a documentary by Thomas Sheridan on you tube where they did mention something that I thought was strange was the CCTV is not picking anything up

I heard a lot of those victims had the rape drug pumped into their system David Paulides talks about similar cases in his book

like this Patrick McNeill case in New York in 1997 he is chatting with a female friend in a bar/pub they decide to leave so she needs to use restroom before they leave, so he waits for her in the bar - when she leaves restroom Some minutes later to return to the bar he is not there??? - the weird part about this case when they look at the CCTV he not seen leaving the bar????
And I think in the 50 plus days he is missing when they find his body in the river he has only been in the river 3 days before they found him strangely enough when woman drown they float face up in the water - when men drown they float face down - when they find this mans body he found floating face up

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/17/nyregion/autopsy-shows-a-fordham-student-drowned.html

I heard a lot of those victims had the rape drug pumped into their system David Paulides talks about similar cases in his book

like this Patrick McNeill case in New York in 1997 he is chatting with a female friend in a bar/pub they decide to leave so she needs to use restroom before they leave, so he waits for her in the bar - when she leaves restroom Some minutes later to return to the bar he is not there??? - the weird part about this case when they look at the CCTV he not seen leaving the bar????
And I think in the 50 plus days he is missing when they find his body in the river he has only been in the river 3 days before they found him strangely enough when woman drown they float face up in the water - when men drown they float face down - when they find this mans body he found floating face up

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/17/nyregion/autopsy-shows-a-fordham-student-drowned.html

None of that is referenced in the link you posted. In fact it says:

The young man's body had been in the water since he disappeared shortly before midnight on Feb. 16, [Chief Medical Examiner] Dr. Hirsch said...
He also showed no traces of drugs...

[Patrick] was last seen leaving the Dapper Dog, an Upper East Side bar. He told friends he was tired and would take the subway to the Bronx campus.

I was stating what I heard about this story when listen to what David Paulides mentions about it online - I posted that link because it's the only autopsy link I had time finding

I was stating what I heard about this story when listen to what David Paulides mentions about it online - I posted that link because it's the only autopsy link I had time finding

I'm skeptical about what David "Bigfoot" Paulides claims - I take the word of the Chief Medical Examiner above his. Does he list his sources?

I don't know if you've seen, by the way, but we have a thread about the Missing 411 books in the parking lot :)

That Cheif Medical Examiner if he knows more probably will not state or told not say anything more as people seem to play these things down then he ain't gonna put it in his autopsy mr Paulides is a former cop and he know FBI Agents and Cops who have worked on the smile face killer cases and other examiners who he has spoken too and have shared his theories

and their no no suggestion in his books that "Bigfoot" is involved

The Mirror reports that a total of 61 bodies have been pulled from the Manchester canals over the past 6 years, many found near the city’s gay village.
“It is extremely unlikely that such an alarming number of bodies found in the canals is the result of accidents or suicides,” Professor Craig Jackson, from Birmingham University said.

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe...moved-from-canal/story-fnh81p7g-1227181828196

Will be worth keeping an eye on.

Canals may not be "popular suicide spots" but you only need a small % of suicides to be in canals to get the bodies piling up over the years. Add to that accidents and it creates an easy pile of bodies for academics and journalists to project onto. It seems to be a standard meme to see serial killers in places that have water deaths, but the sad fact is that deep water and humans don't mix well in terms of sustainance of life. Places with more water features will have more water deaths. Evidence of murder is needed, otherwise suicide or accident is the likely cause.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back