Australia - Anita Cobby, 26, abducted & murdered, Sydney, NSW, 2 Feb 1986

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Why we must never forget Anita Cobby: Sister continues to fight violence against women

January 14, 2015 2:57PM

IT WAS a horrific murder that deeply scarred a community and profoundly changed how violence against women was viewed in Australia.

On February 2, 1986, Anita Cobby was abducted as she walked home along Newton Rd in Blacktown. Her brutalised body was found in a farmer’s field in Prospect two days later.

Less than a month later, five men — John Travers, Michael Murdoch and brothers Leslie, Michael and Gary Murphy — were taken into custody suspected of the horrific sexual assault and murder of the 26-year-old nurse.

All five would be found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment, never to be released.

Almost 30 years after the senseless murder of her sister Anita, Kathryn Szyszka is continuing to advocate to end violence against women.

“It could have happened to anyone’s daughter,” Mrs Szyszka said. “She was just walking home and it happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

“But people should be free to walk on the street without being abducted — there shouldn’t be a wrong place.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ce-against-women/story-fngr8i5s-1227183663420

Photo of Anita....

472657-b73fd17e-96fa-11e4-88f5-c4f920af09b0.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ce-against-women/story-fngr8i5s-1227183663420

Anita Cobby Memorial

● The Anita Cobby memorial will be held on Monday, February 2 from 10am to 11.30am
● It will be at the Guardian Funerals Chapel at the Pinegrove Memorial Park, Kington St, Minchinbury

● Instead of flowers, donations can be made to the 20th Man Fund to help disadvantaged youth
● RSVP by January 23: garyraym@ozemail.com.au
● Morning tea will be served

Anita Cobby murder: first memorial service for Blacktown nurse 29 years later

Retired police chief inspector Gary Raymond will never forget Anita Cobby, the 26-year-old nurse who was abducted, raped and murdered while walking home from Blacktown train station on February 2, 1986.
"People were ringing up the station every day, asking why we hadn’t caught who murdered her. The community went into lockdown. Everyone was terrified." Retired police chief inspector Gary Raymond.
"Anita's murder traumatised the community," Mr Raymond said.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anita-cob...own-nurse-29-years-later-20150120-12u5lc.html

I'm glad there is a memorial for Anita. She really did have the world at her feet, and her life cut short by those sick ****s! Her poor parents having to live a nightmare no parent should go through. :cry:

Anita's brutal murder was so shocking, I will never forget it! I remember feeling sick just reading the Sunday paper which had a very detailed account of what transpired that night, and the arrests of the bastards that killed her! I was 25 yrs old then and it cut me to the core! :cry:

When my 2 daughters were looking for a place to rent, my heart sank when they told me they found a 'beautiful' unit in the heart of Blacktown. I had to put those foolish thoughts out of my mind, what happened to Anita could happen anywhere but still, a mother has those fears. :( My oldest daughter works for the police so she is well aware of safety precautions, both girls are probably a lot more aware than I was at their age. But, I still go through the motions with them. I tell them if they're ever threatened with kidnap, fight with all their might right there, because once you're taken someplace else, it's definitely over. :(

29 years today.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...a-29-years-later/story-fnj3rq0y-1227204818173

I remember watching one of those True Crime shows a couple of years ago, which featured this case (I was only 4 or so, when Anita's brutal murder happened). It made me sick to my stomach then, and still does now. The terrible fate Anita suffered at the hands of those savages, will forever have me questioning how people like that are even human.

RIP Anita - eternally young and beautiful :heartbeat:

I have never been so disturbed about reading a true crime book like I was after reading, Someone Else's Daughter: The life and death of Anita Coby.

alice: how long is forever?
white rabbit: sometimes,
just one second! :rose:

Can't say I feel sorry for him

Anita Cobby’s killer moved to palliative care

Anita Cobby’s killer moved to palliative care

Michael Murphy, one of the men found guilty of murdering Anita Cobby in 1986, has been moved to palliative care.

The 65-year-old was moved from Long Bay Jail, Sydney, suffering from advanced cancer.

Where would they bury the grub because his grave would be vandalised every hour. I’m guessing no burial but cremated and his ashes tossed across the local dump.

I can’t see his funeral will be a solemn occasion.
Remember the angry crowds wanting to kill them outside Blacktown police station?

9CD63577-EC61-48D9-8B9F-05E34263AB86.jpeg

‘Hope it was painful’: Cobby’s killer dead

Ms Cobby's widower John was elated Murphy had died, telling The Daily Telegraph: "One down, four to go".

"I hope it was painful for him," he told the publication.

‘Hope it was painful’: Cobby’s killer dead

I tend agree with John.

The 26-year-old had been set upon by five men while walking home from work in Blacktown in Sydney's west.

She was savagely raped and beaten for hours.

One of her attackers slit her throat so badly she was almost decapitated.

The sister of Anita Cobby has spoken out after one of the nurse's killers died in prison overnight.

Anita's sister Kathryn Szyszka was just 20 years old when Anita was killed.

In an exclusive interview with A Current Affair’s Crime Editor, Simon Bouda, Kathryn told of the heartache of losing her older sister.

"I think I was fairly lost," she said of the time following her dreadful loss.

"Being so young and having her always leading the way for me, I did feel lost."

But despite her pain, her reaction on being told this morning that Murphy had died in prison, was muted.
‘I did feel lost’: Anita Cobby’s sister speaks after killer’s death

A policeman who investigated the notorious murder of Sydney nurse and beauty queen Anita Cobby hopes he lives to see all five of her killers die in jail.
One of Ms Cobby's killers, Michael Murphy, 66, died in Long Bay Hospital on Thursday night, 33 years after he and four other men abducted, raped, assaulted and killed her.
Former senior sergeant Garry Heskett said he hopes Murphy "rots in hell" and lives with hope that he'll be alive to see all five men die.

"All I can say is good riddance and may he rot in hell," Mr Heskett told AAP.

'Good riddance': Anita Cobby killer dies

He was a nasty, unrepentant, bitter man 'til the end. I hope that was in pain and suffering.

Last edited:
For many years around 2 February I would leave one single rose for Anita on the fence at Reen Road, the road name has been changed for whatever reasons but I'll never forget where it happened and I will continue to leave a rose. I have her anniversary set on alarm every year.
I will never forget you Anita.

One of Janine Balding’s attackers is about to be released

Justice Peter Newman, from making the unprecedented direction that, because of the gravity of their crimes and even despite their young ages, three of Janine’s attackers should never again see the light of day.

“So grave is the nature of this case that I recommend that none of the prisoners in this matter should ever be released,” he said at the boys’ trial.
One of Janine Balding’s attackers is about to be released

One of the men jailed for life over the 1986 murder of Anita Cobby has suffered severe injuries after being bashed in Sydney's Long Bay jail.

Gary Murphy was attacked by multiple people in a shower block area, A Current Affair has confirmed.

He sustained severe head and facial injuries.

One of Anita Cobby’s killers severely injured in jail bashing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back