MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
ht_jacob_wetterling2_091021_mn.jpg

11-year-old Jacob Wetterling was riding bicycles with his brother and a friend in St. Joseph, Minnesota on October 22, 1989 when they were approached by an unknown man with a gun. The man let the other boys go, but grabbed Jacob and walked away with him. Jacob has never been heard from again.

Jacob on NamUs
NCMEC
Charley Project
Facebook
AMW
Jacob Wetterling Resource Center - http://www.jwrc.org/

Jacob Wetterling SAR and Map Thread - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

MN MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, 22 Oct 1989 ***MEDIA THREAD***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

MN MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, 22 Oct 1989 ***CASE FACTS***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Previous threads:
#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13

Patty and LE have confirmed that this was a sexually motivated crime.

How can it totally be confirmed when there is no victim to say so or the abductor has not been caught to admit to this? We cannot, IMO, be 100% certain this is true.

How can it totally be confirmed when there is no victim to say so or the abductor has not been caught to admit to this? We cannot, IMO, be 100% certain this is true.

I believe both have acknowledged the possibility.

Here is the quote from Patty. And what if the other 2 boys witnessed, or were part of, something that made it clear it was sexual? Do we need to doubt what Patty says??

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2014/10/18/wetterlings-still-coping-heartbreak/17529251/

"While all of this was going on, the Wetterlings were confronted by daily reminders of how little was known about Jacob's disappearance.

They also were confronted by grim possibilities.

"This is a sexually motivated crime. Sometimes, you need to say that," Patty said. "So, it's not like we're in la-la land."

Here is the quote from Patty. And what if the other 2 boys witnessed, or were part of, something that made it clear it was sexual? Do we need to doubt what Patty says??

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2014/10/18/wetterlings-still-coping-heartbreak/17529251/

"While all of this was going on, the Wetterlings were confronted by daily reminders of how little was known about Jacob's disappearance.

"This is a sexually motivated crime. Sometimes, you need to say that," Patty said. "So, it's not like we're in la-la land."

They are going off typical statistics but the truth is we can't be sure until the case is solved. Even though DR is #1 on my list the biggest issue I have with him is that if it were sexually motivated there wouldn't have been much time for the sexual part let alone dealing with Jacob after the fact since LE was on the scene pretty quick. DR couldn't have counted on his property not being searched and checked out right away. But this was a crime of opportunity and many decisions were probably made quickly on the fly and it just so happened that the perp had a bunch of luck from that point forward.

I truly believe, in this instance, we must take Patty at her word. Think about it like this -- she may know something we don't. I'm basing this belief on her prior statement, "what is going on in this county that is so dangerous to our boys." Believe me, she's not just talking about the fact that her son was abducted, she's referencing the motive behind it as well -- methinks.

It can be helpful to go big picture on this situation and think -- within the span of nine months, two boys who were of similar age and looks, were abducted in close proximity by a man with a distinctive voice and authoritative manner -- who threatened the boys either with a gun or "if you tell I will find you and kill you," and also was concerned about his identity -- in Jared's case he outright asked if Jared could recognize him (thank God he must have said no), and in Jacob's case he wore a mask, but if and when that mask came off -- was he someone Jacob might have recognized from the local landscape? We could make lists of similarities in the cases and differences --

They are going off typical statistics but the truth is we can't be sure until the case is solved. Even though DR is #1 on my list the biggest issue I have with him is that if it were sexually motivated there wouldn't have been much time for the sexual part let alone dealing with Jacob after the fact since LE was on the scene pretty quick. DR couldn't have counted on his property not being searched and checked out right away. But this was a crime of opportunity and many decisions were probably made quickly on the fly and it just so happened that the perp had a bunch of luck from that point forward.

I am so wondering why a grown man needs to tell so many lies. That is so totally bizarre to me. Why lie and tell more lies? Now some people want to believe what he says. So that is their choice.

And to be so nonchalant about a missing child is beyond belief to me. Others feel it is a fine reaction. Again, their choice to feel that way.

I want to know why he is a POI.

It can be helpful to go big picture on this situation and think -- within the span of nine months, two boys who were of similar age and looks, were abducted in close proximity by a man with a distinctive voice and authoritative manner -- who threatened the boys either with a gun or "if you tell I will find you and kill you," and also was concerned about his identity -- in Jared's case he outright asked if Jared could recognize him (thank God he must have said no), and in Jacob's case he wore a mask, but if and when that mask came off -- was he someone Jacob might have recognized from the local landscape? We could make lists of similarities in the cases and differences --

The voice. To me two different voices.

One= raspy
One= cold. That indicates a nasal voice, not a raspy one. Or a stuffy sounding voice, not raspy. So, a definition is needed for me

I personally think that there's a strong 90% likelihood that Jacob, Jared and the Paynesville attacks are all the same guy. I don't really want to argue it on the board, but, I thought that I'd throw that out, just as a statement.

I know many people think otherwise; I don't really agree with their thinking, concerning the 'completely different MO' etc...; and again, don't want to argue it on the board. I think it's fine to have different theories; if it's ever resolved, then we'll know what happened. Till then...

I think it's fine for posters to have different theories, and it's not necessary to have to convince someone else to your way of thinking, or to, try and convince them where you think they're wrong. Theories are theories. We can still discuss, and hopefully, over time, bring up evidence, and it'll be the evidence that leads us somewhere or not.

Different theories or interpretations don't really need to hinder the discussion. Theories aren't evidence, and disagreements don't have to be disagreeable.

One thing that I've been thinking about, especially recently, concerning what may or may not have happened. Whether whoever took Jacob is the same as the one who abducted Jared and/or attacked the kids in Paynesville or not; we have to consider that whoever we think took Jacob that, we don't know what happened after that. We don't know if Jacob was taken to some relatively distant location and held, or if he was killed.

It seems, to me, that if he was abducted by pretty much any of the suspects that we've discussed, for the most part, that, they are people whose whereabouts have been somewhat known, at least available, to LE, since the abduction; so, if one of them took Jacob; I suppose that it's unlikely that Jacob was left alive. Does that make sense? I don't see him being left alive and kept in the area. Maybe there are exceptions to that, but, I'm thinking that most of the suspects that we've discussed that they fit that profile that their whereabouts have been known; so, I'd think that likely, if it were one of them, then, likely that Jacob was not left alive. Also, even if they're someone who left the area for some period after Jacob was abducted; unless they left basically immediately, then the same concept applies.

So, in considering your suspect, consider whether you think he killed Jacob, and all the follow-up that would be involved with that. If Jacob was taken elsewhere, and possibly/hopefully left alive, then, I think that the perpetrator is likely not someone who's been discussed to any extent on the board here; and, it means that the perpetrator disappeared from the area after the abduction. I suppose that if it's someone who wasn't really a local in the first place, then, it's probably not the same guy who attacked Jared and the others. But, if it is the same guy, and, Jacob was taken out of the area, then he's a guy who was local (generally speaking) for some period of time; then, he left the area.

I personally think that DR is not a good suspect. I know that a lot of people think, nearly 100% that he is. I don't think there's a need for posters to agree on that one way or the other, since, what we need is to discuss whatever we can come up with in the way of evidence, or interpretation of existing evidence. This theory or that theory, I don't think we can say we have any definite, final conclusions; because, we don't have a final conclusion.

That's just some of my 2¢ worth regarding Phantom's 'big picture thinking' concept.

PW may be sure. LE may think so, but, again, w/o proof we can only speculate.

Trino, how can you be sure there wasn't proof? What would motivate Patty to make such a bold statement if she didn't know this was what happened to her son? Not trying to be difficult here, just believe mother is very familiar with what happened and why

I think perpetrator may have a Jekyll and Hyde type personality. He may have been able to contain his inclinations except for those couple occasions where the drink helped him lose his inhibitions and gave him liquid courage. Here's a question -- regarding the Paynesville cases, did those victims actually see the perpetrator or was he also wearing a mask?

"Hebephilia is the primary or exclusive adult sexual interest in pubescent individuals approximately 11-14 years old, and is one of several types of chronophilia (a sexual preference for a specific physiological appearance related to age). " Credit to my good friend Wikipedia.

Were all or most of the kids in this age range or older? Does anyone know the age range for the Paynesville victims?

"Most people are in denial that pedophilia exists in their community or home. Pedophiles, however, will go to great lengths to continue their compulsive behavior. They will volunteer in church youth groups, coach youth athletic teams, and find other ways to associate with potential victims. Many times, they place themselves in positions where they can easily meet children."

So all of us know this already. Here's a question: Do you think someone with a pathological sexual attraction to younger teen males can be satisfied with just one experience?

I seem to recall the boys said something to the effect that the guy sounded like he had a cold.

In all likelihood the guy was a smoker which I believe Trevor later said with the reflection of thinking about it as an adult. Wouldn't be DR then as winds players don't smoke if you want to play (or run for that matter) any well. So who was this guy then?

Makes me wonder: is the perp still alive? The guy had to know he went way too far. What if he just blew town shortly afterwards and moved to Minneapolis or Milwaukee or Duluth where a large population would let him blend in? Or even farther out. Seems like a lot of the strangeness stopped right after. And I had a thought that maybe some of those types of individuals realized if they kept up their shenanigans they might get blamed for the Wetterling abduction themselves.

Seems like the area was literally riddled with creeps. I wish the Wetterlings' could get some closure here.

Whoever said it will probably be a deathbed confession is probably right.

The sad thing: this is not a made for TV murder mystery movie. It's real people who've suffered the loss of a family member for a quarter century. That time can never be given back to them. There needs to be an answer.

Yes it's real life and we're here because we care. Sometimes I ask myself why I continue to invest so much time and emotional energy in some of these cases and it's because wow, what if it was me who suffered from this nightmare, followed by, I would wish people would care enough to involve themselves and somehow try to help. So one can take the attitude of well this is police business or --hey this case isn't solved and it's horrible the Wetterlings still have no answers. And what about Jacob -- his life is worth something, he is still relevant and it matters that people are expending time and effort to understand the facts as we know them.

I have had to go up against "the system" several times with mixed results. Church = minor to poor success (so far); corporate America = never again it's not worth it; but young people -- I have the same passion as you do to help them and that's what brings us all back day after day. I think the answers to Jacob's case are already there and it's more a matter of making a charge stick...which obviously is the job of LE. That doesn't mean we can't keep seeking the truth until the day we can finally rejoice with the Wetterlings when the truth is finally known.

Posts have been moved over from Thread #13. Please continue here.

Thanks.

Regarding PW's statement that Jacob's abduction was sexually motivated, I have always taken away from that statement that there are unreleased details of the abduction that she knows about from the two boys, either related to her by them soon after or later on due to PTS decompression. I've never thought that it was just something she was guessing at due to the stats and Stearns County having so many predators lurking around.

I think perpetrator may have a Jekyll and Hyde type personality. He may have been able to contain his inclinations except for those couple occasions where the drink helped him lose his inhibitions and gave him liquid courage. Here's a question -- regarding the Paynesville cases, did those victims actually see the perpetrator or was he also wearing a mask?

In some cases the Paynesville perp wore a mask that one of the boys described as looking like "red candy striped carpeting". Someone posted a picture many threads back of a full face stocking /ski mask that had different shades of red in it. That was perhaps what they meant. In one case I recall the victim saying the perp had painted his whole face black under a mask. I'm not sure if anyone ever saw his face, or if he wore a cap or hood most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth