KY - Tina Zamora, 37, shot to death, Lebanon Junction, 15 Jan 2015

bflocket

Reaction score
This happened in Lebanon Junction, which isn't too far from me. It's just inside the Bullitt County line from Nelson County (albeit the far western part of the county).

It has been said that he was in Central State Hospital (mental) until just before this happened.

His family/friends were quick to judge people who were judging him (per some of the comments, at least on WAVE-3). But that's what happens when you can comment on a news story. They're filled with cynicism/sarcasm or downright meanness from complete strangers who think they know everything.

Man charged in Lebanon Junction murder, victim identified (WAVE-3, Louisville, KY)

Kentucky State Police have made an arrest in connection to a homicide in Lebanon Junction.

Police said while inside the home Allen shot Tina Zamora, 37, with a handgun he had stolen for a nearby residence earlier in the day.

Zamora was pronounced dead at the scene by the Bullitt County Coroner's Office.

Bullitt County mother killed, gunman arrested (WKYT, Lexington, KY)

A Louisville TV station spoke with the suspect's grandmother who says her grandson, Austin Allen, 18, is mentally ill. She says he was hearing voices and was just released from Central State Hospital around the holidays. She doesn't believe the doctors should have let him out.

The suspect's grandmother says he barely knew the woman he's accused of killing.

Bullitt County man faces charges in murder of a Lebanon Junction woman (WDRB FOX-41, Louisville, KY)

Police were called to a home on Walnut Street near Main Street in Lebanon Junction about 1:40 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived, Allen was being restrained by neighbors of the woman. That's when they took Allen into custody.

Investigators don't have a motive for the shooting, but they believe Allen stole the handgun used in the murder from a home nearby earlier in the day.

Police are investigating the murder of a Lebanon Junction woman (WHAS-11, Louisville, KY)

"We have one suspect in custody and we feel like that is the guy we were looking for, so at this time we don't feel there was a danger to anyone in the Lebanon Junction community," said KSP Trooper Jeff Gregory. "It can happen anywhere, unfortunately it happened in Lebanon Junction today which is a good city and its not a city that we go into with a lot of bad, violent crimes, so it is a little surprising."

Allen was lodged in the Bullitt County Detention Center and was charged with burglary in the first degree and murder.

Autopsy scheduled for woman police say was shot by teen (WLKY-32, Louisville, KY)

An autopsy is scheduled Friday for a woman police say was shot and killed by a teenager in Lebanon Junction.

That's where they say 18-year-old Austin Allen entered a home and shot 37-year-old Tina Zamora.

"Accused of killing" doesn't yet mean "kills woman."

"Accused of killing" doesn't yet mean "kills woman."

There's no doubt that he killed her. The main issue I see is that he was getting mental treatment recently and I am not sure he was ready to be released. But no "diagnosis" was given so I don't know if they knowingly released a dangerous/delusional person or whether anyone could have seen this coming. Insurance is picky about how you're treated. If he didn't have insurance... Who knows???
The same mental illnesses affect each individual differently, no matter what diagnosis it is.

I think it was probably out-of-character for him to break into somewhere and steal something (i.e. the gun), let alone become violent toward others.

Family: Teen murder suspect had mental issues (WAVE-3, Louisville, KY)

An 18-year-old murder suspect came out of the bathroom of his grandmother's house and opened fire on her friend, prompting five people in the home to tackle him as his victim breathed her last breath, a family member said Friday.

The manner of Allen's relationship with Zamora or her three daughters is not clear, but a family member told Kington he barely knew Zamora, having only seen her a handful of times previously.

...he was recently released from a hospital earlier than family members thought he should have been. That family member also told Kington there was no argument preceding the shooting, that Allen came out of the bathroom and just snapped.

Officer, friend of murder victim delivers news of her death to her children (WAVE-3, Louisville, KY)

Zamora's neighbor, Austin Allen, 18, is charged in her shooting death.

Allen's grandmother, Joyce Hodge, said she and her friend Zamora were in her dining room when her grandson walked in. She says Allen shot Zamora two times out of the blue with a gun stolen from another neighbor's home.

"I got on his back," Hodge recalled, "and I said ‘Austin, Austin please leave her alone, leave her alone Austin!'"

With the children's father living in Mexico and grandparents out of state, McGaha - who had just spoken with Zamora Tuesday - was asked to break the news to the three girls ages 12, 11 and 7.

Judge sets $1 million bond for Bullitt Co. teen accused of murdering mother of three (WDRB FOX-41, Louisville, KY)

"He come out of that bathroom, and I was standing there, his arm was like that and I heard pow! Like that, well, I seen Tina go to the floor," said Joyce Hodge, the suspect's grandmother.

Hodge is still in shock from what she witnessed inside her home on Walnut Street in Lebanon Junction on Thursday."

A judge set Austin Allen's bond at 1-million dollars cash.

Meanwhile, family and friends of Zamora are in the process of setting up a fund to help pay her funeral expenses. If you'd like to help, click here: http://www.********.com/kasjjs.

Families face quandary when mental illness strikes adult member (WAVE-3, Louisville, KY)

His aunt, Shelly Blakley, said, "He'd been diagnosed with dual -- what is it -- dual schizophrenia and bipolar and he's not been taking his medication."

For a person with a mental illness, experts, like NAMI Executive Director Michael Gray, say what might have been happening to Allen is not all that uncommon. A medical condition can cause them to not believe they're sick.

"People can tell you that, doctors can show you evidence, you don't believe it. That affects 50 percent of people with schizophrenia," Gray said.

Gannon says it's important to note that in the majority of cases, the mentally ill are more likely to be a victim of crime, than to commit one.

"Most of the time, a mental illness does not pose a real threat to harm self or others," she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back